walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Angus Glens. Mix.

Angus Glens. Mix.

Postby davetherave » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill, Mealna Letter or Duchray Hill, Mount Blair

Date walked: 06/08/2011

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 29.9 km

Ascent: 1830m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

wsDate. Saturday 6th August 2011
Completed by. Dave, Julie, Wilson and Jake
Weather. Heavy rain and poor visibility
Time. 9hrs 15 mins
Distance. 29.9 km
Ascent. 1830 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 0
Corbett’s x 1
Grahams x 3

oor route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Monamenach

Meall Na Letter or (duchary hill) Badandun and Mount Blair

Starting from.
NO 165 646 near Balloch, Park on south side of road.

Our final fitness session in the hills prior to our Corsica trip brought us to my long awaited Local hills in the Angus Glens. We had been eyeing them up for what seemed like an age, nearly 2 years to be precise.
Weather all over the country was to be a wash out according to MWIS with heavy rain, thunder and possible lightning in some areas, but lucky for us the slightly better weather looked to be across our local range of hills.
Parked up on the B951 near Balloch and headed up the west side of some woods making for Cairn Derig from here it was a nice easy walk on to the summit of Mealna Letter. Conditions under foot were pretty wet and my cheapo boots were soaked through by the time I had ascended Cairn Derig. But over all rain was minimal at this point, but would it last!
From Mealna Letter summit we followed a dyke down NE by Loch Beanie and headed up by Craigenloch skimming round the 738 top. From here it was NE to reach the summit of the Corbett Monamenach. By the time I reached Monamenach I was soaked through, but suddenly on the summit the rain stopped and the wind picked up, this was a fine chance to turn jacket inside out and set on the small cairn to dry out, I also stood with my back to the wind to dry my soaked through T shirt.

The things you do for a piece of comfort ehhh..
1.JPG
Mount Blair , heading for Cairn Derig

1 (1).JPG
Loch Beanie and Monamenach from Meall na Letter

1 (5).JPG
Glen views

1 (6).JPG
Creag Leacach ? not really sure

1 (8).JPG
Mount Blair from Monamenach

1 (10).JPG
The Mutt's on Monamenach

From the Corbett summit we make for Auchavan, descent was pleasant and the sun at this stage even tried to make an appearance. We stopped at Auchavan to fuel up. I also took advantage of this stop to remove boots and wring out my socks.

Made a mental note to bin boots as soon as …………. £50 badly spent.

By the time we reach Fergus (keepers cottage) I really thought we had made the perfect choice by sticking to the Angus Glens. The walk all the way to Craig Lair 711m was on a rough 4x4 track this made for easier walking on tired legs. Although it was longer by distance it was easier than heading straight up to Badandun Summit. Once on to Craig Lair we head due south before making our way to summit no3 for the day.

We then head NW off Badandun, making for the castle. At the bridge we have a quick coffee and top up with Ibrufen. It starts to bucket with rain here, and will only gets worse until we eventually reach the safe haven of the car.
1 (13).JPG
views

1 (15).JPG
Auchavan with Badandun behind

1 (16).JPG
Fergus near the keepers cottage

1 (17).JPG
Wilson Chillaxing ? a mix of chilling and relaxing according to my daughter.

1 (21).JPG
Craig Lair in the distance while heading for Badendun.

1 (24).JPG
Jake on Badandun summit with mount Blair behind.

1 (25).JPG
The Castle

We head straight up making for Creag Na Cuigeil then on to the 653 m spot height. Only about another 1km to go before the summit of Mount Blair is reached not far now….
1 (27).JPG
Looking down towards the castle from Creag Na Cuigeil

1 (28).JPG
wet

1 (30).JPG
wetter

1 (31).JPG
soaked

1 (38).JPG
had enough now. Mount Blair summit

Summit reached , pheww, we don’t linger we just get going. BIG MISTAKE. Never took a bearing, Grrrrrrr. Ended up more than 90 deg out in the poor visibility. Never realised the mistake until we were half way down Corrie Vanoch, I could have cried.

This huge mistake caused us/me untold misery, the extra 3 or 4km, the grief I had to endure from the wife and the many swear words that was spat in my direction.

For my well being I hope not to make any similar mistakes in the future….
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Angus Glens. Mix.

Postby malky_c » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Enjoyed this route too, although you went the extra mile and added Monamenach in as well. Looks a bit grim at the end though :shock:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jools » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm still :x :x :lol:
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:59 pm

good route; rotten weather! MB looks bleeeeaaaaak
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby davetherave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:good route; rotten weather! MB looks bleeeeaaaaak

yeahh your quite correct, Mount Blair was a nightmare, made worse when we came off the wrong side, adding that extra km's in the rain. :( :shock:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland