walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the dry Cairngorms

In the dry Cairngorms

Postby prophetofdom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1116m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started the walk after a super Italian Coffee Aviemore and then pushed on out of a busy car park and across the moor into the very French like lower forrested slopes.

Soon out of the forest and on an excellent track, peppered with downhill cyclists up to the first summit of the day. I wandered a little further seduced by a not to far top but with my partner resting and likely to get chily I turned back.

Then crossed the astonishing dry flat plains of the Cairngorms to pick up the stalkers track which lead quickly to our one munro of the day where Cecile slept for an hour and I considered our route back which was to go up and over a little further but after her sleep elected the shorter and easier route to the the stalkers track again and alongside the shoulder of a mountain, where I found torn remains of several feasts from a feathered preditor and down down down steeply into the wonderful Scots Pine and superby tall (relative for Juniper) Juniper trees rich with fruit.

Long walk back to the car and not as much invested in the forest as I had hoped. But what there was was excellent. Car park festoned in midgies as we returned, glad of a car to divest into and share a bottle of home brew before setting of to find a wild camp for the night. Cecile's 5th Munro, with the obligatory whisky at the top. Jelly babies proved quite popular for tired walkers as well.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

prophetofdom
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:20
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Re: In the dry Cairngorms

Postby ken reid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

did this route in feb excelent day out
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland