walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth Five-er ..... perhaps!

White Mounth Five-er ..... perhaps!

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 31/07/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm a bit behind on walk reports, so this is one from a couple of weekends ago, when I decided to attack the 5 munros associated with Lochnagar.

The plan was simple. Drop Mrs R off at work late Saturday evening and head off for the longish journey to the car park at Spittal of Glen Muick. Then have a few hours kip in the car, get myself some breakfast and then be off for a good days walking. The idea of driving over night for an early start was a new one for me (not yet brave enough for any of this wild camping malarky :lol: :lol:), so I couldn't wait. 43 years old and as excited as a little school boy :lol: :lol:

The road trip itself was no worries. Took it easy, as I was sure there would be the risk of deer on the roadside - only saw four :? Did see lots of rabbits though (dead ones mainly) and hedgehogs, but eventually pulled up at the large parking area at the end of the public road. I thought I might find a few cars there already, but was genuinely surprised at just how many there were. Settled down for a couple of hours kip.

Woke up around 4.30 to find myself engulfed in mist :( Bugger :thumbdown: I wasn't happy, so shut my eyes in the hope that when I woke up agin it might be showing signs of clearing. Woke up a little later on ...... to find myself engulfed in mist still. Bugger again :thumbdown: But there was nothing to be done than get fed and get going.

As I followed the route toward Meikle Pap and Lochnager the bridge over the river Muick was closed for repairs, but it looked pretty much done, so I skipped over the barrier and across rather than seek out the sugested detour :shh:

Early signs for the day didn't look good, as the cloud was very low
DSCF2003.JPG
Early doors ..... doesn't look hopeful!

Headed up the track, until the path heads off into the trees.
DSCF2005.JPG
Off into the trees

The path was a good one, which was just as well as I couldn't see a thing. Apparently I was walking toward a stunning view :lol: Mist it :lol:

Did get a nice view looking down on the burn I was walking alongside
DSCF2007.JPG
Is this the best view of the day?

Followed the track until it split at the large marker cairn. From there I dropped off to the right to head off into the hills proper. Passed a tent at this point, but it looked liked the occupant probably wasn't much for getting moving, as by now the mist had been joined by the rain :(

Soon enough though I found myself walking on the ladder, which while I couldn't see much else was a good little section of the walk :D
DSCF2011.JPG
Up the ladder

Despite the mist the walking had been good so far. The path was pretty good all the way and before not too long I was on the plateau and faced with a decision - follow the path along side the cliffs or be sensible and follow the large marker cairns up a more direct path to the summit. So,I followed the path along side the cliffs :lol:

Actually, it was a good path, but with the pea soup I was in :lol: there was nothing much to see
DSCF2015.JPG
See!

The problem was that I couldn't even see the large cairn on Can Carn Mor, so when my path started to disappear I wasn't sure what to do for the best. Strike off into the mist and hope for the best or decide to bail out and head back down the hill. Come back another day perhaps. For some reason I wasn't happy about carrying on, so made the decision to bail and head back down. While I was happy to bail if it was for the best I wasn't happy to be finishing a walk quite so soon. End result was me faffing about on the hill while I um'd and ah'd, which just wasted time.

But then my luck changed. As I meandered down I met a couple heading up and they seemed happy for me to tag along with them for a while. So, we headed up the proper path (the one with marker cairns all along it :lol:) and soon enough foind ourselves on the summit of Carn Cac Mor.

Absolutely nothing to see in the mist :(
DSCF2025.JPG
Cac Carn Mor summit

DSCF2028.JPG
All the hills I could have seen!

DSCF2030.JPG
The biggest cairn in the world

DSCF2031.JPG
Summit trig point

Didn't hang about long ...... it was cold :shock:

Headed off toward munro number 2 - Carn a Choire Bhoidheach. Path was good all the way, but we weren't sure at what point to head off the beaten track and up onto the summit. Came across a small cairn and decided to head up the obvious path to the top.

Except, I'm not so sure now if we actually made it to the true summit. This was the carn stopped at, but having looked at other reports since I don't think it was the very top.
DSCF2035.JPG
Cairn on Carn a Choire Bhoidheach

For now, I'm claiming it......but at least I have an excuse to come back on a sunnier day :)
Back on the main path and the route to number 3 - Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. Walking was easy still. And the mist seemed to be lifting too :D
DSCF2044.JPG
Some views at last - toward Loch Muick

Carn an t-Sagairt Mor has two cairns, but the visibility at the top was good and I was able to visit both. Not sure myself which one was the high point, but as I touched both the summit is mine.
DSCF2045.JPG
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor cairn 1

Went in search of the plane wreckage, which struck me as a little weird on the summit plateau and being there after so many years
DSCF2061.JPG
Plane wreckage on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

And the views opened up some more, just for a short while.
DSCF2065.JPG
View from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

DSCF2067.JPG
Another view from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

DSCF2070.JPG
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor cairn 2

On the descent from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor the people I had been walking with eventually headed off ahead of me - they were like torpedoes and I was struggling with my ribs due to a freak accident at home a couple of weeks before. So I was happy to leave them to it, having enjoyed their company to that point.

As I headed off toward munro number 4 - Cairn Bannoch the weather started to take another turn for the worst, as the rain headed in.
DSCF2082.JPG
Heading toward Cairn Bannoch

By the time I got to the summit it was wet, windy and decidely chilly :lol:
DSCF2087.JPG
Cairn Bannoch summit

Not much to report from Cairn Bannoch to the final peak of the day - Broad Cairn.

Rain :shock:

Rain :(

Rain :lol:
DSCF2093.JPG
Broad Carn summit

Then it was just the matter of the short walk back to the car park along Loch Muick :lol: :lol:

I took the path that dropped down alongside the loch which, despite the length of the walk, really was a great way to end the day. Had I not got a long drive home to do I would have taken my time on this section, but it was a case of putting my best foot forward and getting back.

Still had time for a few photies along the way though :lol:
DSCF2113.JPG
Along Loch Muick

DSCF2116.JPG
Lock Muick

DSCF2128.JPG
Lodge on the Loch

As the lochside path re-joined the landrover track there was a nice waterfall, but it was a case of a quick pic and on my way
DSCF2129.JPG
Water fall

Just a chance of some final views along the loch as I headed back and arrived at the car
DSCF2134.JPG
View of loch muick ahead

DSCF2135.JPG
And back the way I had come

So, I missed the views, maybe even have missed one of the summits, but despite that I really enjoyed the day :D I will definitely be back again when the sun is shining, to clear my conscience and make absolutely sure of Carn a Choire Bhoidheach
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: White Mounth Five-er ..... perhaps!

Postby Stretch » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Looks like the true summit to me Pete. It's a broad expanse up there on that second munro and I did this on a clear day and that's the only cairn I saw. Good job on these, despite the mist!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:57 am

I only remember one cairn too altho it seems to have grown a bit since May when we were up there!
SSL16481 - Copy.JPG

It starting snowing when we were on the summit of Lochnagar but the rest of the day the weather went very much in our favour until it rained on the last summit. I'd like to go back on a very clear day and the walk down from Lochnagar via the waterfall looks worth checking out. We missed the aircraft debris tho and we didn't have any mist! Sure you will remember the day clearly despite not seeing too much! :lol:
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby robincat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Pete
That's the summit alright.
We camped out on Lochnagar two nights before you and got glorious weather.
Did the other 4 the next day.
Her's a better pic of cairn.
Robincat
Copy of IMG_0256.JPG
Summit of CaCB 7am
robincat

Munros:54   Corbetts:2

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 am

Nice report Pete.

Well done for being positive and not giving up.

Bet your so glad that top has been confirmed :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:22 am

You'll defo go back and do that round again as it's such a great area. I think it's great that wreckage is almost as it was after all these years.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby 147cjl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Think it's time the MOD cleaned their mess up
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Alastair S » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day despite the poor weather.

I'm lucky to have this one on my doorstep but despite having done all these hills & Lochnagar 4 times I still haven't done all 5 in a day. No doubt when I've ticked off the rest of the Cairngorms I'll be back to do just this :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 pm

I did this round on Saturday with much the same weather as you and also wondered if that was the summit cairn as you appear to reach it quickly with very little effort. I've got the exact same photo as you on my camera, so we can both confirm it to each other :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:31 pm

That's the cairn ok, PeteR
my photos are very similarly misty and your report reminded me very much of my own experience from last year
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6351
Very enjoyable report and well persevered
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:08 am

:? must be something about this area - I had the same weather as you and was gutted I couldn't see Lochnagar properly - ah well, must go back some time :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for all your comments. So glad to see I was on the summit after all :D Will definitely be back on a sunny day though to get the views that go with the summits too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Glad to see you did make the summit on that one Peter,looks like you had one of my days on the tops,great report though,good to see you stuck with it no matter
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland