walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon via Crib Goch

Snowdon via Crib Goch

by GarryH » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 17/01/2009

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Snowdon via Crib Goch

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:27 am

peter millward wrote:Hi mountain coward,

I want go on to much about the route or climb up other than to say for me it looked much harder/scarier from the pyg track than it did when we got halfway up, the climb was very enjoyable and not to difficult, i am not an experienced climber by any stretch of the imagination so i am sure you would love it.

When we got to the top i was a little nervous but this was my first attempt, however i was reassured by an old cribby vetran that the scramble across was no more difficult than the route up and this indeed proved to be the case; i just had to get my head around being a little exposed.

The pinnacles were not as hard as i had thought they would be; but that might be because my nightmares about them prior to my actually facing them were far worse than reality and kept me awake the night before the climb.

I would love to look on here in the near future and see that you have done this climb and i wish you all the best in your efforts on this front.

I just think that if i can do this you definately could as you have done so much more than me in your climbing experiances.

i wanted to add some photo's but my knowledge of computers is les than my climbing believe it or not and although i know how to add them they are to big!! (to many pixels). Good luck when you go for it though.

Well I hope one day I can put on here that I did it but it's the exposure that would do for me... I'm fine at the technical aspects of scrambling - I can climb up anything if it's on flat ground and not high up! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 pm

I have just completed the snowdon Horseshoe this weekend. My personal feelings on Crib Goch are that it presents very little difficulty if the weather is good and you can see your route ahead. I stuck to the left of the crest , omitted A pinnacle but went over the top of the last one. I can see the pitfalls in mist or bad weather but unless you want to tiptoe across every top rock on the crest it seemed straight forward to me. Or am I over simplifying things?
Ive posted my pics on Flickr at the link below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27538469@N ... 138401642/
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Well I've never thought it was difficult, just bloody scary and exposed!
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Can I take it that you have done the Aonach Eagach in Glen Coe? Surely that would be more scary than Crib Goch. That's one I'm after next (after the Inn Pin) and that looks a hell of a lot more exposed than Crib Goch.
The prospect of doing it makes me very nervous but I'm determined to give it a go.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:53 am

Yes I have... but you'll have to read my 'Aonach Eagach for Cowards' report - was around January this year - you'll see why I'm called Mountain Coward then! :lol: There is definitely 'more than one way to skin a... Munro' :D
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Very novel. No harm in that. After all walking is all about personal satisfaction. I wouldn't attempt Crib or any other less than safe walk in bad weather unless I was with some one who knew where they were going etc. I can remember Many years ago on Striding edge clinging to the rocks in fear as 6 year old kids strolled nonchalenty past me.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Yeah - I had absolutely no fear of heights when I was young either... then I broke quite a few large bones and realised there was actually something to be afraid of!
mountain coward

Postby otaffy » Tue May 31, 2011 1:07 pm

In case it helps anyone, I eventually made it over Crib Goch (having failed the first time) after trying out some hypnotherapy.
I did it for a newspaper feature, so if anyone wants to find out more to see if it might help them, I've posted the story and video diaries on my blog at http://david-lawson.blogspot.com/2011/05/film-crib-goch-diaries.html

Thanks for the responses I got on the forum in the build up!
otaffy

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland