walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

McDs,Clag,McDs,what more can you ask for

McDs,Clag,McDs,what more can you ask for

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 07/08/2011

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1120m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan for the weekend was Criese & Meall a" Bhuiridh and back before Alans mrs had to go onto nightshift,this quickly changed late Thurs night with a text saying Lisa had the night of and would I fancy something further than Glencoe :)
So plans laid,alarm set for 4.10am and on our way by 5.00am,just over 2hrs later we pulled into McDs in Fort Bill for a big breakfast mmm,and soon after that the midges had their breakfast as we got ready to walk :wtf: Nice easy start for this one,a wee walk along the road and then take to the grassy slopes,where underfoot conditions were a bit soggy with all the rain that had fallen.Did not take us long to work up a sweat on this one,with soft and soggy underfoot,and windless and humid above and the constant threat of the clag closing in I only managed to get some views back to Loch Quioch
004.JPG
Loch Quioch
005.JPG
Loch Quioch
We made fairly good time considering the soggy ground,and at this stage the cloud was still high enough to give us some views around
006.JPG
South facing coire
008.JPG
Loch Fearna
Put the camera in the bag and got the head down now as the clouds had come down, and as always seems to happen I was back in the clag all the way to our first summit of the day :lol:
013.JPG
summit pic
We had a 15/20min break here to have some food,where the clouds cleared slightly to give me a fleeting glimpse of Creag a" Mhaim at the start of The South Glen Shiel Ridge(so near,yet so far away) :lol: :lol:
011.JPG
Creag a" Mhaim can nearly touch it
and also of the ridge walk to Gleouraich
012.JPG
ridge walk to Gleouraich
014.JPG
further along the ridge
The walk along the ridge was fairly easy,with no wind to speak of,and every now and then the clouds clearing over to The South Glen Shiel Ridge
015.JPG
Creag a" Mhiam & Druim Shionnach
This was to be the last views for a wee while,cause the clag was now down with a vengence,giving us only 20 or 30 meters veiws ahead all the way to our 2nd and last summit of the day Gleouraich
017.JPG
Alan at summit
018.JPG
gammy at summit
All that was left now was the walk back to the car,found this a nice easy walk back following the excellent stalkers path all the way down,and again some pics of Loch Quioch
019.JPG
Loch Quioch
020.JPG
Loch Quioch
And soon back onto the road and our car
003.JPG
Path end and car
Not sure if the same midges were waiting for us, or they had called for the calvary,but they sure had a great time having their dinner while we got changed,before we headed back to McDs and a Big Mac to finish of a great day for Alans birthday
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: McDs,Clag,McDs,what more can you ask for

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Good stuff Gammy, but the world is still waiting for that elusive picture of you at a summit cairn in shorts and sunglasses! I've never started AND finished a hill day with a McDs - that's impressive! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Going on the word of MR Dewar....remind me never to walk with you :lol:

Such a pity you didnt get the views, at least your belly was full :D

I actually did these West to East and had one of the best days walking this year so far, here is what you missed Gammy....
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13338

Enjoy :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 am

These two Munros were one of our options two weeks ago but we ended up in Glen Coe instead :D
I think last Saturday was National Hungry Midge Day :lol: :lol: They almost sucked us dry in the Fannichs...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Alan S » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Some good pics there mate regardless of the weather just a pity we didnt get a day like dooterbangs 8)
Thanks for my birthday treat ( twice ) :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Cracking photos Gammy despite the driech weather. Really love the summit one of you chuckling away. Happy to be at the final summit or thinking about your post-climb dinner??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Really love the summit one of you chuckling away. Happy to be at the final summit or thinking about your post-climb dinner

I will have to take responsiblity for that,it was one of my classic jokes :lol:
Thought it would be best to see a different gammy pose but as we were in his normal clag a smile will have to do :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:Good stuff Gammy, but the world is still waiting for that elusive picture of you at a summit cairn in shorts and sunglasses! I've never started AND finished a hill day with a McDs - that's impressive!

When I see the size of you in your pictures Graeme not sure you could tackle two McDs in the one day,not like this 16st 10lbs bear,as for me in shorts I did post a pic on my trip up Bidean a few weeks ago,but when I now see it ,you can rest assured it may well be the last,some people may be scarred for life :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 pm

dooterbang wrote:Going on the word of MR Dewar....remind me never to walk with you

Such a pity you didnt get the views, at least your belly was full

I actually did these West to East and had one of the best days walking this year so far, here is what you missed Gammy....

Enjoy

The pace you walk at doots be assured you will never walk with me,you would always be to far in front to have any conversation.

Did read your great report the night before we walked this one :thumbup:

So a few times on Sun I closed my eyes and imagined we had your weather :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:38 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Cracking photos Gammy despite the driech weather. Really love the summit one of you chuckling away. Happy to be at the final summit or thinking about your post-climb dinner??? :lol:

The reason for the chuckle,Alan had just asked which view I wanted for my summit pic :lol:

Only thought about McDs on the way home when we got bact to Fort Bill mmmmm McDs could just go one now mmmm :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I think last Saturday was National Hungry Midge Day They almost sucked us dry in the Fannichs...

Your not wrong BP,the wee barstewards sure were out in force at the start and end of this one,on the bright side a few more weeks and the worst will be over for another year
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm

alan s wrote:Thanks for my birthday treat ( twice )

Just mind my birthday is not that far away. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 pm

What can I say Gammy, you must be the unluckiest walker in all scotland (weather wise) :(

Still at least you have a great laugh and always enjoy your days out.

Really racking up the Munro count :thumbup:
morag1

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:53 pm

:lol: good stuff gammy - clag or no clag, at least you still look happy :lol: have neither started nor finished a day yet with a McDs - am I missing something here ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 pm

morag1 wrote:Really racking up the Munro count

Hope to bag more this weekend,anyone heading for the "gorms" in search of views don"t bother :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland