walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch

Slioch

Postby NevJB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 12/06/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1200m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were trying to keep the cost of our trips to the Highlands this year within acceptable limits so thought we’d try camping. Took one look at the campsite at Taagen [admittedly in the pouring rain] and checked into the 5* bunkhouse at the Kinlochewe Hotel. It was warm and dry and generally clean provided you didn’t look anywhere too closely – particularly the kitchen – it was the smell though – that sweaty sock smell that seems to envelope and cling. However, at £13.50 per night I shouldn’t grumble, but a bit of a come-down from spending the week in the Tigh an Eileen Hotel, Shieldaig a few years ago. Anyway, needs be etc etc. Dinner was good, but pricey given the jaded hotel surroundings.

Awoke to a gloriously sunny morning and porridge courtesy of Neill. Took us ages to repack the car: firstly, we bring far too much; secondly, we are not quick first thing in the morning – or second thing!

01_Beinn-Eighe-from-Kinlochewe-Hotel.jpg

Made the short journey to the Incheril car park and eventually managed to get underway just after 9:00 by which time it was warm and feeling very humid. It was a very pleasant walk along the Kinlochewe River and Loch Marie, although it crossed our minds that it not be quite so on the way back. Paused by the bridge crossing the Abhainn an Ehasaigh before making our way alongside for a way – lovely waterfalls.

02_Towards-Loch-Maree-from-Abhainn-an-Ehasaigh-Bridge.jpg

The going was easy at first, but soon steepened and was hard work in the sun. As is always the case, Neill found the going tough uphill on the first day so just short of Coire na Sleaghaich we stopped for food.

03_Neill-ascending-from-Loch-Maree.jpg

04_Neill-Refuelling.jpg

Neill refuelled ………….. on pork pies, what else!

It became slightly overcast as we entered the bowl-like corrie and made towards the far end. It looked very steep from a distance, but on getting closer we could see that the path took an easier line and then zigzagged towards the top.

05_-Across-Coire-na-Sleaghaich-to-Slioch-Summit.jpg

It was the hidden rise to make the summit that was the psychological killer! It was considerably cooler on the summit, but the was weather fine and the views worth the effort.

06_Neill-summiting-Slioch.jpg

07_Neill-on-Slioch-Summit_Eating.jpg

08_Raven_Slioch.jpg
Waiting for scraps!

09_Kinlochewe-from-Slioch.jpg

10_Towards-Beinn-Eighe-from-Slioch.jpg

Had some lunch and wandered over to the north top for views of Fisherfield; our nemesis back in April. It is worth the short walk to the north top as there is a wonderful vista from west to east and through the gap to An Teallach.

11_Loch-Maree-from-South-Top-of-Slioch.jpg

12_Towards-Sgurr-an-Tuill-Bhain-and-the-Fannichs-beyond.jpg

13_Fisherfield-from-Slioch.jpg

14_E-Fisherfield-Peaks-from-Slioch.jpg

15_Slioch-Summit-form-North-Top.jpg

We then made our way along the ridge between the north top and Sgurr an Tuill Bhain; best bit of the day – marvellous views to the north.

16_Through-Fisherfield-to-An-Teallach.jpg

17_Slioch-from-Sgurr-an-Tuill-Bhain.jpg

18_Looking-back-along-ridge-to-Slioch-Summits.jpg

19_Fisherfield-from-Sgurr-an-Tuill-Bhain.jpg

Now down – ugh! Was steep, but OK; however, by the time we’d reach the bottom of the slope, my right knee had given a few warning twinges. Time for some ibuprofen and waterproofs. Rejoined the path in, but halfway down the second steep bit my right knee was giving me problems. Thankfully as soon as we started on flat(ish) ground the pain ceased – as it always does – and the sun came out again :D . Sure enough, the walk from the bridge back along the loch and river to the car seemed a lot further than the same walk in the morning.

Thought about returning to the bunkhouse ………….. 3 seconds later we decided to see if there was any room in the [Torridon] Inn (not the Country Hotel). Got a room – luxury – ahhhhhhh! A shower and decent (much cheaper) meal later and all was right with the world once again.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Slioch

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Great report and stunning pictures. Such a fantastic mountain and on my to-do list for a long time... I was walking in the Fannichs on the very same day and saw your hill from the top of A'Chailleach :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Vick1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Great report and a mountain I really enjoyed climbing :-)
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Great report. Some cracking views from up there. One of my favourite areas 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Great pics cracking report, the pork pies look good too!! :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Did this last weekend great hill today some amazing views. One i would do again
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:98
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Avocetboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:56 am

Nice Rucksack
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Alastair S » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:39 am

Looks like you had a crackin' day - some great views up there. Still to do this fab hill. And super photo of that raven.

Hope the knee is feeling better. I had a knee problems a couple of years ago but thankfully its not too bad now. For me the solution was not over-doing things (no more 30+ km walks) but to keep going out regularly - that & the use of poles for the steep down-hills.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Excellent report and thanks especially for the pics. Now I can see what I missed - it was really dense cloud on the tops that day
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Great report + pictures. We did this hill a couple of years back in the howlin' wind and zero visability! We had some confusion over which top was the actual top.....was it the North top or the first top you got to?

I think I remember seeing something that the initial trig point and the North top are at the same height?
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable report and set of photos Nev. We didn't get the weather that this amazing hill deserves when we did it. Remember sticking my head into the bunkhouse and thinking it didn't look too clever. Thought the bar/dining area of the hotel was very nice though and served very decent food.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby smudger71 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:05 am

I beleive what you describe as the North top is the summit (at the moment), although it has flipped between the two tops a few times over the years.

best to visit both to be safe!!!

Slioch is a cracking hill, the walk in and out alongside loch maree is a real pleasure on a nice day!!!
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Oh dear!

We reached the trig point thinking that was the top and returned the way we came due to the adverse conditions. We did not reach the summit cairn.

Oh well....an excuse to redo this hill perhaps in better weather!

Many thanks
Stu
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Mainser » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

My first Munro - going all misty-eyed at this report - lol
Mainser
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland