walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hills Have Sighs...

The Hills Have Sighs...

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 08/08/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

.....and most of them were mine! :(

After reading Pigeon's smashing report 'Two from Glen Lochay', Gagfax and I were in agreement that this would make for our next excursion. Our rendezvous time was 09.00, I didn't get there until 09.35!!! I couldn't find the turn-off road!

I got to Killin about 08.45 and then drove about for ages trying to the right way. Sighing??? I was nearly in tears!! Luckily, the good people in the Bridge of Lochay Hotel pointed me in the desired direction. There is a sign that says 'access only' but this is definitely the way to go.

IMG_0213.JPG
Turn left immediately after crossing the bridge next to the hotel

The single-track road is in good condition but is narrow and has very few passing places, so be prepared to do lot of reversing and breathing in to get to the parking area which is about 8km away- felt longer!!! Anyway got to the carpark- no Gagfax, no car, no phone signal! Big sigh!!! Do I tackle this myself or do I go home? Didn't have to think for long because who should appear? Garry. He had driven further along thinking I had arrived mega early. :lol:

Once my groveling apologies were out of the way, we set off. About 0.5km along you have the option to cross the river using a bridge, up and over the first of two pointy-headed stiles and follow the zig-zag path up the hill next to hydro-electric pipe.

Follow that until it runs out and continue on up the side of some trees.
IMG_0183.JPG

This then brings you out at another bridge.
IMG_0184.JPG

And then you climb and climb what seems like endless grassy slopes, big, big sigh!!! There are no paths and no sooner have you gained height that you lose it again. Over a grassy lump at 577m and down to peat bogs and up again towards our first target, the top Meall a' Churain.

Feeling a wee bit happier now we could enjoy the pretty views, it was a straightforward walk along the ridge and a short final ascent to Sgiath Chuil. It was really windy and a bit nippy so a few photos and then went to find a shelter to have lunch.

IMG_0192.JPG
I'm not being shy, everytime I tried to turn round I kept getting blown over!

I think we must have found the same place as Pigeon because it was a real suntrap and great place to enjoy lunch and take in the views. It really rejuvenated me because before it I would been keen to head back, my legs were done in (overdoing the running and gym work I think) and sighing with every step!

We were just about to leave when we met a man and his Jack Russell, he had come over from Meall Glas and said it only took 1.5 hours. And so energised by some tasty sandwiches and a Kit-Kat chunky we set off, heading straight down the steep west side of the hill to Lairig a' Churain at 609m.

Its not too difficult a descent, the spongy grass makes it quite easy. We tried to pick up a path as we climbed towards our next top, Beinn Cheathaich, but only managed it quite near the summit. Again a bit of a slog, with yes more sighing, but it was worth it. Not only did we get more fantastic views but also a trig point! What a treat!

The summit of Meall Glas is clearly visible about 1.5km along the ridge and having a really good path, we were able to run along to it in about 10 minutes.

IMG_0202.JPG

We didn't hang about for too long. We had managed to evade the rain all day but the sky was getting dark it was about 16.00 ish. To descend we followed the good path back along the ridge and then traversed the grassy slopes (didn't mind them so much now!) until we picked up the rough landrover track.

So far that day we had seen no wildlife at all, apart from a field mouse, not even the ubiquitous frogs or midges but I did spot this rabbit/hare hole.

IMG_0203.JPG

The walk back to the river takes about 30 minutes. The water was pretty low so crossing over was no bother.
IMG_0208.JPG
Do you think that cow is willing Garry to fall in?

And so it was back to the car a backward glance caused me to give up the biggest sigh of the day, absolutely perfect Scottish evening!
IMG_0210.JPG

Another tiring but enjoyable day in the fantastic company of Gagfax- loved it!!

Time to relax and get some food at the aforementioned Bridge of Lochay Hotel.

IMG_0212.JPG

Pear and fennel soup, delicious!!! Big happy sigh...... :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The Hills Have Sighs...

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Timely report as I was planning these as my next walk, maybe i'll have a rethink now :lol: Looks like a bit of a slog?? My mate and I did Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain yesterday from Inverlochlarig, and was a similar slog up Tulaichean, pathless most of the way. Don't know if I want a similar walk right away now :? Had a similar drive in from Kingshouse to Inverlochlarig, was a bloody nightmare!!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Frogwell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm

pollyh33 wrote:We had managed to evade the rain all day but the sky was getting dark it was about 16.00 ish.

You must have been lucky, I suspect it was trying to hunt you down. I read your post on that other thread saying you were going up Glen Lochay on Monday. I was up Ben More at the same time and I could see pretty substantial rain in your rough direction, and from the top of Stob Binnein I phoned my mother who lives in Glen Lochay and she said they'd had some rain. Since you seem to have evaded the rain, I feel my chuckles at your misfortune were wasted now.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Timely report as I was planning these as my next walk, maybe i'll have a rethink now :lol: Looks like a bit of a slog?? My mate and I did Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain yesterday from Inverlochlarig, and was a similar slog up Tulaichean, pathless most of the way. Don't know if I want a similar walk right away now :? Had a similar drive in from Kingshouse to Inverlochlarig, was a bloody nightmare!!

Yes quite right Lomondwalkers, my next hill (weather permitting) is Ben Challum. I read Woodsy Boy's excellent report and thought 'that will do for me' !!! Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain were to be my next climb but maybe not!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Frogwell wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:We had managed to evade the rain all day but the sky was getting dark it was about 16.00 ish.

Since you seem to have evaded the rain, I feel my chuckles at your misfortune were wasted now.

You're a sick man Frogwell!!! First you insult Scotland's oldest royal burgh and then laugh at its inhabitants getting soaked!!! Don't feel so bad now about spearing many of your amphibian brethern!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Alan S » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Nice report and pics polly 8)
These hills are starting to look a bit more interesting after the recent reports :D

Thanks
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm

alan s wrote:Nice report and pics polly 8)
These hills are starting to look a bit more interesting after the recent reports :D

Thanks
Alan

Cheers Alan.

Definitely climb from Glen Lochay not Dochart. Despite my whinging, it is the better way to go. No real bog at all. Hope you get decent weather! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby gagfax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

If i fell in do you think that cow would have went MOO HA HA HA?

:?

That was a longer day than expected and my legs are still a bit sore.
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 pm

gagfax wrote:If i fell in do you think that cow would have went MOO HA HA HA?

:?

That was a longer day than expected and my legs are still a bit sore.

Don't worry I wouldn't have laughed!!! :?

Ooops sorry for making it such a long day, the old legs had nothing in them!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pigeon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Pear and fennel soup???????Glad you guys enjoyed your day ,are you doing ben challum from the same side or the less steep route from kirkton farm?Whichever way you do it i hope you have better luck than us ,check my brother in laws (Huck Finn) challum report and you'll see what i mean :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:37 pm

pigeon wrote:Pear and fennel soup???????Glad you guys enjoyed your day ,are you doing ben challum from the same side or the less steep route from kirkton farm?Whichever way you do it i hope you have better luck than us ,check my brother in laws (Huck Finn) challum report and you'll see what i mean :lol:

The soup was fantastic! That being said a scaby dug would have tasted great , I was that hungry!!!

Yes, intending starting at Kirkton Farm, seems straightforward. Although if the weather doesn't improve Im going no further than my couch!! I'll have a look at Huck Finn's report, worth a chuckle?
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pigeon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Aye,if you go in the next couple o weeks you should get better conditions than ours :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm

You sure are starting to rack up your count pollyh,will need to watch my back soon or you will pass me :lol:

Once again another great report,always like your TR titles.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Good stuff, another 2 !! I had my first trip to Gen Coe yesterday and managed a Munro, a Munro Top and a Corbett. Long day but Glen Coe was stunning.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Another one to add to the list, think I should just stay in Killin for a week with all the hills around there.
Great report
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland