walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Adders

Adders

Postby les83 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I just thought I'd say I saw my first adder today. It was on the path from Inverey up to Carn Bhac. I very nearly stood on it, saw it at the last second and jumped as it went for me! All end ok and I got a couple of pics too.
Has anyone hear been bit off an adder?
les83
Mountain Walker

Munros:144   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:35

Re: Adders

Postby Boulderdash » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:43 am

No, but had a couple of very near misses in the last two years. Despite what we are told about the Adder population I have noticed a definate increase in their numbers. Seem to be more aggressive too.
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Hantswalker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:14 am

I saw my first adder in April near Durdle Door. Quite small really - about 18" - 20".

The colour representation of the photo is very good - it was a striking black and silver but I think shades of brown are more common.
Attachments
Adder.jpg
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 pm

The last adder I saw was about 20 yrs ago, & I've never been bitten by one, despite living in the country most of my life. As long as a walker is making plenty of noise (heavy footsteps), any adders will move out of the way before they are seen. The main exception to this is when they are sunning themselves to warm up to full operating temperature early in the day. Adders, being cold blooded are quite lethargic until the sun warms them and then they can be too slow to move before they are seen, then they may strike out in defence. The last one I saw was lying on a grassy bank in the sun on a chilly April morning - my dog spotted it, but the adder hadn't even warmed up enough to move away, so it was left in peace.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Tradoch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 pm

They vary in colour. Usually have a zig zag pattern. Look for a distinctive v or x on the back of the head. (but not always...)

Used to see masses of them as a kid in Wiltshire. Actually used to play with them...Very much weather dependent I think. Hard winters followed by warm summers seem to work for them.
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby incompleat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Saw this one on the path to Geldie Lodge a few weeks ago. It was lying in the sun and we nearly ran over it with the bikes. It was pretty hacked off at us taking photos of it - it got very noisy. This was about the closest I dare get. Wasn't sure how far they can reach so wasn't taking any chances...

Adder 3 by chimpaction, on Flickr
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Postby Red Peak » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Only ever seen two - both not far from Derry Lodge but on different days. One was absolutely tiny, about the thickness of a pencil, so obviously a young 'un. The other was a fair bit larger and decided to slither off before I could get a photo of it.

I've never been a fan of snakes, yet seeing two in the flesh didn't actually bother me. Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of one though :?
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah, the track out to Derry Lodge is a popular spot for them. Got my best sighting of a decent sized one a fortnight ago in Fhindu Glen near Glen Artney.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Vidiprinter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 pm

The one you saw is probably the same blighter I saw a fortnight ago. He was basking next to the track about 100 yards from the ruin as I whizzed passed on my bike on my way to Carn Bhac. I went back to have a closer look and was greeted by a few hisses!
Vidiprinter
Hill Bagger

Munros:81   
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:50 am

Just seen this post so a bit late adding to it. My son nearly trod on one just north of Rowardennan whilst on the WHW, Don't know what was funnier him bricking himself and swearing like a trooper or reaction when he realised he was stood next to his Dad. He is 21yrs old :lol: :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Greigers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 pm

somthing i have never seen in all my 33 years but i am fully aware that they are out there, i havent heard of any 1 being bitten by 1 either
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby les83 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:42 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Just seen this post so a bit late adding to it. My son nearly trod on one just north of Rowardennan whilst on the WHW, Don't know what was funnier him bricking himself and swearing like a trooper or reaction when he realised he was stood next to his Dad. He is 21yrs old :lol: :lol:

Haha, well I was glad it was just me n my mate there. I wouldn't have looked very many to any lassies in our party as I leapt into the air to avoid it!
les83
Mountain Walker

Munros:144   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:35

Postby Scaredywalker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 pm

This guy http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Man-bitten-by-snake-picked.2802970.jp got bitten a few years back on Arran, best of all was his brother getting quoted in the local paper that they were going to sue because there weren't any signs up warning them of dangerous snakes!! :lol:
Scaredywalker
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:7
Fionas:6   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   

Postby JTweedie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Just read your link - I've never seen an adder, but I thought it was common knowledge that adders are poisonous. Don't know what rock that guy has been living under if he didn't know that!
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Having seen a couple of adders to Susans annoyance as she hasnt seen any, I am very adder aware, to the extent that I will jump out my skin if I see anything like a snake. Im sure susan finds it funny as I tare arse down the path not stopping for anything. I remember doing part of the WHW at a jog as it was perfect adder terrain.
Me scared, no petrified. :?
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion