walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor na h-Ulaidh - 1st Trip to Glen Coe

Sgor na h-Ulaidh - 1st Trip to Glen Coe

Postby Del246 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 09/08/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1292m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it was my friends choice of hill today and he picked Sgor na h-Ulaidh. This would result in 2 things. My first visit to Glen Coe and my friend completing all the hills in Glen Coe.

We left Glasgow at 6am and parked in a layby on the A82 near to the start of the walk at the back of 8. The start is easy to find. Its a land rover track with a sign for a B&B. You follow the land rover track past a modern house, the B&B and then a barn.

DSC01766.JPG
Follow the land rover track !!

Not long after the barn the land rover track ends and becomes a well defined path. Again follow this. This path runs along the side of a river and soon Sgor na h-Ulaidh came into view.

DSC01769.JPG
First view of Sgor na h-Ulaidh

We followed the track along the river and then decided we had to bite the bullet and head up to our first target, the Munro top Stob an Fhuarain. The route up was pathless and at times relentlessly steep, a real leg burner. Eventually we reached the Munro top summit. We stopped for a quick picture then headed on to our main target.

DSC01778.JPG
Summit cairn of Stob an Fhuarain

We then headed along a good path towards Sgor na h-Ulaidh.

DSC01780.JPG
Approaching the summit of Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Just as you near the summit of Sgor na h-Ulaidh you have to walk past this !!

DSC01783.JPG
Dont fancy falling down there !!

We were then on the summit and the views were fantastic.

DSC01786.JPG
Summit of Sgor na h-Ulaidh

After a spot of lunch we headed down. We had already decided we would do a loop and not retrace our steps. We went further round the back of Sgor na h-Ulaidh before we descended as we had read how tricky it can be and also to make sure we missed out the "bad step". Even though we did this the descent was still really steep and after a while my knees were on fire !

DSC01793.JPG
The descent from Sgor na h-Ulaidh !

I was glad once we were back down as I was in real pain with my knees now and we started to head in the direction of the river. Looking back up Sgor na h-Ulaidh looked impresive.

DSC01795.JPG
Sgor na h-Ulaidh

As we headed towards the river and the path back for some crazy reason we then decided we should just " go for it " and tick off the Corbett Meall Lighiche !! I knew if I didnt do the Corbett just now I probably never would. Again there did not seem to be a path so we just headed up. Again this was a steep wee hill and my knees were now screaming !! After about 40 minutes we were on the summit and I was so glad I forced myself up. The clouds had cleared from the highest peaks and the views were first class.

DSC01798.JPG
Summit of Meall Lighiche

The views from this Corbett were brill

DSC01799.JPG
Sgor na h-Ulaidh from Meall Lighiche

DSC01796.JPG
Beinn a` Bheithir from Meall Lighiche

DSC01800.JPG
Bidean nam Bian from Meall Lighiche

DSC01802.JPG
Aonach Eagach ridge from Meall Lighiche

After taking in the views it was time to set off and we followed the shoulder of the Corbett down until it lead to another steep descent :-( Even here the views were great.

DSC01806.JPG
Looking down the valley and the way back with the Aonach Eagach in the distance

It was very steep and quite a lot of crags around. Anyway my knees had had enough so when I could I just slid down sections on my bum !! We then got back down to the river but were on the wrong side for the path. So we found a section with large stones and jumped our way across ! I dont know how I stayed on my feet ! Then it was a case of following the track all the way back to the A82 and the car.

All in all a great day and I cant wait to return to Glen Coe. On the way home I couldnt resist stopping and taking a picture of Buachaille Etive Mor as it was the first time I had ever laid eyes on it !

DSC01813.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Sgor na h-Ulaidh - 1st Trip to Glen Coe

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

What a report Derek!

Mucho sympathy for your legs and knees, who says the descent is the easier part of the climb???!!! Nothing wrong with using your bum, can't fall any further!

Loved your photos but I did gasp at the one with the great gaping hole, hope you stayed well away from the edge!!!

Well done for conquering Sgor na h-Ulaidh, but can you pronounce it ??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Del246 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks Polly. The last few walks I have done the descent has been worse than going up. As for the drop off I went as close as I could for a pic whilst my pal stood right on the edge :? ! Ps I think you say Skoor Na Hooly for the hill :-)
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby aimeequicks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Great report, well done! Hope your knees are feeling better. Aimee xx
aimeequicks
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Del246 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks Aimee. I was suprised/relieved when I woke up the next day to pain free legs !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby skuk007 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Nice pictures and report Del, good to see the views I missed out on when I did this one.
Your route doesn't sound too different from mine except I didn't do the Corbett, I'd had enough by then. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Del246 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Cheers. It's a sore one that you missed out on the views. I still think I only went on to do the Corbett because I'm a glutton for punishment !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland