walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Man versus Midge

Man versus Midge

Postby pigeon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 12/08/2011

Distance: 47 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was it,first wild camp ,first visit to the Cairngorms and first battle with the midge.Set of on friday night for linn o dee and headed for the corrour bothy at 7 pm,this was a bit late as the walk in took 3 hours and we had to pitch the tents in the dark the wind and the rain(bothy heaving) :( Never mind and after getting aboot 3 hours kip it was up early to get walking,set off up the devil's point at about half 7 not hanging about at the tents for long as the midges were attacking us big time. :twisted: The big plan was to tackle the devil's point,cairn toul ,angel's peak and braeriach on saturday and carn a mhaim ,macdui and derry cairngorm on sunday ,this plan was soon binned after we realised how long the walk out was going to be :lol:
004.JPG
first look at the devil point
009.JPG
ian heading up the path to devil's point
013.JPG
good views at this point
Got to the top quite quickly and the views at the top were great ,this would soon change :(
011.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG
first summit of the day
We could see over to ben macdui and the path we would take up cairn toul was also clear but this wouldn't last and we spent most of the day in clag.
018.JPG
022.JPG
A bit miffed on cairn toul
Clambered our way up to cairn toul got the summit pics taken (2 cairns here is the highest the one that is built like shelter?)and didn't hang around long before heading to the angel's peak
024.JPG
lochan uaine
025.JPG
angel's peak summit
Again never hung around long and headed to braeriach,enjoyed this part of the walk the cloud would break now and again and we could make out the sheer drops and buttreses on our way round the coire
027.JPG
still a bit snow hanging on
029.JPG
scary
031.JPG
miserable on braeriach
a couple of guys who were doing the same route in reverse took our picture on braeriach and we would meet them later in the bothy ,then it was time to find a way back down to the lairig ghru and back to basecamp,found quite a few bits of aircraft wreckage on the hillside
036.JPG
jake investigates the crash scene
040.JPG
It cleared up a bit on the way down the pass and we got some decent views of where we had just been
048.JPG
ian and jake with braeriach in the background
Back to the bothy at half 3 and had a blether with the folks who came and went ,drank all our beer and whiskey and slept much better than the night before :lol:Sunday and we woke early and began to get packed up.I used to think people made midges out to be worse than the really are but now i ken better likes,trying to pack the tent up was a nightmare ,swarming all over us driving us mad we legged it quick as we could and began the 8 mile hike back to linn o dee.We we were just on our way when someone came up with the bright idea of shooting up carn a mhaim ,no sure ian was to keen on this but we dumped our bags behind some rocks and made our way up the steep heather then clambered up the rocks and were soon at the top
065.JPG
carn a mhaim summit
064.JPG
The bit extra effort was worth it as the views from here were great
058.JPG
views from carn a mhaim
061.JPG
063.JPG
057.JPG
All that left now was the wee hike back to the car park ,never quite managed our target of 7 hills but enjoyed most of the whole camping out in the wilds thing except the evil that is the midge,i am now off for a good scratch and to order one off them head net things from the interweb :thumbup:
Last edited by pigeon on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Man versus Midge

Postby gedme » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Wow great report some fantastic photos the Scary one well that's just cool. looks like weather was bit poor but cheers for sharing.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Postby pigeon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:14 pm

gedme wrote:Wow great report some fantastic photos the Scary one well that's just cool. looks like weather was bit poor but cheers for sharing.
Cheers gedme ,hadn't quite finished the report when you replied and managed another hill on sunday,looks like it was going to be a better day than saturday ,typical or whit :?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Pity about the weather pigeon but you still had a good trip :D - now I can see what the view is like from Carn a'Mhaim 8)

pigeon wrote: I used to think people made midges out to be worse than the really are but now i ken better likes,trying to pack the tent up was a nightmare ,swarming all over us driving us mad
you have my sympathies :lol: why does the wind always die down when you don't want it to ? :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jabber » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:59 pm

All still looks fantastic even if the weather wasn't in your favour.. Hate the midge.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Cracking report Pigeon, photos look great even if the weather was not the best. I still think the Mozzi stuff we bought in Cuba is worth a try, no harm in trying !!!
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Another great report Pigeon, you managed to fit in an awful lot of big hills in. What are you complaining about???

Don't fancy that wild camping malarkey, does anyone ever get more than a few hours decent sleep???

Went up Ben Challum today. No dramas, all very straightforward and enjoyable. Weather wasn't great but at least we had nothing to complain about unlike you and your poor mates!!!! :(

PS still scratching my head 10 minutes after reading about your midge debacle :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby munrotop » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:02 am

Hi there! Met you today at the Luibeg Bridge as we were walking in to head up to Coylumbridge up the Larig Ghru. Enjoyed your report and some great pictures. cheers, Dave & Morag
munrotop
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:73
Fionas:17   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:74   

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Ginger Git Good report Pity the weather was against us and the midge the weekend was worth all that you were quick in putting the report in I was still dead later
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:03 pm

rockhopper wrote:Pity about the weather pigeon but you still had a good trip :D - now I can see what the view is like from Carn a'Mhaim 8)

pigeon wrote: I used to think people made midges out to be worse than the really are but now i ken better likes,trying to pack the tent up was a nightmare ,swarming all over us driving us mad
you have my sympathies :lol: why does the wind always die down when you don't want it to ? :?
Cheers RH ,may well return soon to climb macdui
Huck Finn wrote:Cracking report Pigeon, photos look great even if the weather was not the best. I still think the Mozzi stuff we bought in Cuba is worth a try, no harm in trying !!!
It will be in the bag next time Huck,got some mighty big hills planned for your return :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Another great report Pigeon, you managed to fit in an awful lot of big hills in. What are you complaining about???

Don't fancy that wild camping malarkey, does anyone ever get more than a few hours decent sleep???

Went up Ben Challum today. No dramas, all very straightforward and enjoyable. Weather wasn't great but at least we had nothing to complain about unlike you and your poor mates!!!! :(

PS still scratching my head 10 minutes after reading about your midge debacle :shock:
No photies from ben challum polly?
munrotop wrote:Hi there! Met you today at the Luibeg Bridge as we were walking in to head up to Coylumbridge up the Larig Ghru. Enjoyed your report and some great pictures. cheers, Dave & Morag
Good speaking to you guys ,did you complete your hike without getting wet?
Ian Bayne wrote:Ginger Git Good report Pity the weather was against us and the midge the weekend was worth all that you were quick in putting the report in I was still dead later
Done the report when i got home and went straight to bed Ian,been scrathing like mad all week :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Another great report Pigeon, you managed to fit in an awful lot of big hills in. What are you complaining about???

No photies from ben challum polly?[quote="munrotop"]

Didn't take too many photos because of the weather but here's me the summit!
IMG_1555.JPG
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Huck Finn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Big Hills for my return, great, can't wait :D
Oh mind me to tell your sister where my life insurance police is :wink:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gedme » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:39 am

pigeon wrote:
gedme wrote:Wow great report some fantastic photos the Scary one well that's just cool. looks like weather was bit poor but cheers for sharing.
Cheers gedme ,hadn't quite finished the report when you replied and managed another hill on sunday,looks like it was going to be a better day than saturday ,typical or whit :?

Oh sorry but yeah typical. Some really great photos pleasure to read and see. Thanks :D
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland