walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Five @ Lochnagar

High Five @ Lochnagar

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 29.7 km

Ascent: 1476m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I love this munro bagging thing; so many different parts of Scotland; and they are different... And so many memories, that to me are just special...

Today started (ignoring the horrible alarm clock sound at 4:45 am and a two hour drive from Bridge of Allan) with the first golden light of the day streaming across Glen Muick. A stunning sight of a small herd of 6 Red Deer looking a golden rich red in the early morning light. Across they valley they ran; led by the Boss Stag; and parallel with the road; just ahead of the car; before turning away; swimming across the river; shaking themselves down; and running into the haven of the forest... What a start to the day... I'm feeling stress free already!!

And that's before the rainbow spawns across the valley adding yet more colour to this picturesque scene. It will be packed here later with tourists; and already I'm thinking the two best moments are mine... :D

Sadly the battery on my camera was flat and my attempts to successfully charge it overnight unsuccesful; I blame either Nikon or Satmap; I've since discovered the USB cable only works in their own plug; and yours truly had it plugged into the other - rubbish! So just a few pics from the phone in this report...

The walk up to the beallach that separates Lochnagar from the Meikle Pap from the Spittle of Glenmuick is easy and straightforward; aside from the last kilometre and a half it's along a Landrover Track. The only drama was crossing the Alt na Guibhsaich as the river was high; more like a torrent to be honest... Nonetheless I survived with dry feet; and the view of the Lochnagar Corrie is sensational to say the least... And by now the clag had lifted; how kind...

For some reason Photoshop is refusing to merge my files this evening, so you'll have to visualise what would be the end result yourself...

IMG00081-20110813-0900.jpg

IMG00078-20110813-0859.jpg

IMG00079-20110813-0859.jpg

The final climb goes up steep steps on almost hidden extremely cleverly constructed path that must have taken an insane amount of effort to build! It's only a couple of hundred metres of ascent and in no time at all it's behind you with you breathing heavily at the top gazing across at a fine view ahead of you...

IMG00083-20110813-0921.jpg

And from there it's an easy walk to the summit of Lochnagar; the 21st highest munro... Fair to say it was blowing a gale!

IMG00084-20110813-0951.jpg

And from there you'll now have a good 10 km of wild high walking; that all contributes to making you feel extremely spacious; it's easy going; no large descents or reascents; easy walking. Perfect to just lose yourself in your thoughts... The cloud came and left; but the forecast rain never arrived...

IMG00087-20110813-1142.jpg

Before you've even realised it you find yourself on the summit of Broad Cairn and you're done...

IMG00093-20110813-1230.jpg

And then all that's left is an easy gentle; if long descent; but the walk along Loch Muick is stunning. I chose to stay high; but you might prefer to drop down by the loch...

IMG00096-20110813-1422.jpg

The Route...

2011 - 08 - 13 - Lochnagar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Stats...
IMAG1441.jpg
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: High Five @ Lochnagar

Postby Jabber » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Loch Muick is stunning. Wow! Looks like you had a great day and lucky with the weather. :D
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland