walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Waist high water and torrential rain......loved it!

Waist high water and torrential rain......loved it!

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The first thing that struck me when i got out of the van at Dalmunzie house hotel was the sound of the river,clearly in spate and the fact that by parking here i still had to cross it or head back down to the main rd to pick up the track on the other side,i chose the latter option as i wasnt sure if there was a bridge to cross(my map didnt show any) past the farm so off i went on the bike thinking i should have just parked at the start of the track but parking at the hotel would turn out to be just fine in the end.
DSC02162.JPG

DSC02163.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

the weather was looking grand,the sun was out and the cloud level seemed to be well above summit,the track is good and after passing through 3 gates i came across the first problem of the day,a small river that crosses the path was in spate and after searching further upstream i decided the only way across was to wade through,so off with the boots and socks and through i went with the water reaching my knees at the deepest point.
DSC02165.JPG

shortly after i came across another river crossing the path and it was off with the gear again but as i crossed i slipped and dropped one of my boots in the water-Damn! was hoping to have stayed dry but it was not to be so i continued on with the realisation that at some point soon i was going to have to cross the main river to begin my ascent.
DSC02168.JPG

i left my bike by the side of the river and searched in vain for a 'dry' crossing point and needless to say i didnt find one so after much thought i decided on a part of the river and waded through,at its deepest point the water reached my waist.....so much for staying dry today! i had a break on the other side to get my gear off and dry it as best i could before setting of up the steep climb to gain the ridge to Glas Tulaichen.at this point the weather turned,i could see the rain heading up the glen in my direction but it made little difference as i was already soaked so i huffed and puffed up the pathless hillside and eventually caught a faint path that led me to the summit of Glas Tulaichen.
DSC02173.JPG

DSC02174.JPG

the cloud was in on the hill top and after a quick stop for a summit pic i headed straight in the direction of Carn an Righ,down the steep,wet hillside and but for a few slips made it over the boggy area to the path which would lead me up to the summit.
DSC02177.JPG

DSC02181.JPG

i left my bag here and headed up the path which dissapears in places but the summit is gained in good time and due to the weather i just take a quick summit photo and head back down to collect my bag before heading off up the path in the direction of Beinn Lutharn Mhor.the path seems fairly good but after a while it is no more so i just continued up hoping to pick up a path to lead me to summit and out of nowhere i spotted a large group of deer heading up the hillside.
DSC02183.JPG

After a short time i reach a path and press on for the summit as the rain is now lashing down but i'm still really enjoying being out in the hills.Again due to the weather i only stop for a summit pic
DSC02187.JPG

and head back down the path to go round the side of Mam Nan Carn before dropping down to where loch nan Eun is situated.From here i followed the path all the way down to where i had previously left my bike,admiring the fast flowing waterfalls as i went.
DSC02193.JPG

DSC02194.JPG

Upon reaching the bike i was soaked but in my view it was a slight bonus as i would not be worrying about getting wet when fording any of the rivers crossing the path and after wading through the second crossing i noticed a bridge!
DSC02197.JPG

"where the f**k did that come from?" i thought,never noticed it on the way in.i wasnt sure if the path on the other side could be cycled but it would save me some time in getting back to the van as it was close to the farm so away i went and i reached the van in no time at all.

Overall i was in my glory on this walk,yes i got soaked,had to cross two overflowing burns and the waist deep river but i had a fantastic day in these fairly remote hills and i'm looking forward to next week already!
Attachments
DSC02195.JPG
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Waist high water and torrential rain......loved it!

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Oh Iain I think I would have called this report 'Wet and Wild' !!!

How are feeling after getting soaked several times over? No pneumonia I hope!!

Despite all that, you managed to climb some big hills and smile for the camera :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby yellowbelly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Very well done Iain. It's only when a walk turns into a real epic that it becomes really memorable and leaves you on a high. Those pesky rivers are a real pain. Like you say, when you're totally wet you can't get any wetter, so just plough on regardless!
Looking forward to your next report.

Hugh
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby csimbad » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Good stuff Iain and well done on getting round in torrential rain, reminds me I need to return soon for Carn an Righ and Beinn Lutharn Mhor myself, never seem to have any luck on the weather front myself in that area. :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Bad luck on the rivers Iain, so early in the walk too. :(
Good to see it didn't stop you, must admit a waist high river crossing might have seen me heading for home.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm

skuk007 wrote:must admit a waist high river crossing might have seen me heading for home.

Ditto,great effort after the soaking so early
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby iainwatson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 am

thanks for the replies,i had briefly considered not crossing and abandoning the walk but its just not in my nature,i was very similar to clive (report up at the moment of the same walk) in that after crossing i stripped and tried to dry my gear as best i could before continuing on
pollyh33 wrote:Oh Iain I think I would have called this report 'Wet and Wild' !!!

How are feeling after getting soaked several times over? No pneumonia I hope!!

Despite all that, you managed to climb some big hills and smile for the camera :D :D

i'm absolutely fine,didnt stop for long anywhere mind you so i didnt lose any body heat,lol

most of my friends cant believe i enjoyed the walk so much with the conditions but it was brilliant! :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 am

Now that's dedication to a cause iain - well done for sticking at it :D I usually carry flipflops or wetsuit shoes to use when crossing rivers....but I'd draw the line at carrying the full wetsuit :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alastair S » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

skuk007 wrote:Good to see it didn't stop you, must admit a waist high river crossing might have seen me heading for home.

No might about it for me. Well done Iain for persevering.

rockhopper wrote:....but I'd draw the line at carrying the full wetsuit

:lol: :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Good effort in sticking with it. I'm with you on that score, as I think long and hard before turning back. I tell myself it's only water :lol: Bl***y cold water sometimes, but only water :lol: I do love these hills though. They make for a really great day out and you seemed to enjoy yourself, which has to be the main thing :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Adventurous soul. Great effort.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jonnoh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 pm

I wish I could be as positive as you about getting so wet in those conditions! Good for you though and great report. Just one question, how steep is the steep side of Beinn Iuthern Mhor? I'm not that great with heights believe it or not!
jonnoh
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland