walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Target reached on Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Target reached on Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 09/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1025m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the start of the year, I had done 5 Munros, and set myself a target of completing 25 before winter sets in. Today would be the day I reached that target, and hopefully with a a good few weeks to spare!

After a quick visit to Rob Roys grave it was a slow drive into Inverlochlarig, which was no hardship given the stunning scenery. Eventually we were making our way to Beinn Tulaichean from the farm, with a few signposts to make the farm workers lives easier. Not much of a path lower down, and even on a good day like we had, it was fairly boggy, but we did eventually find a path on the higher slopes.
DSC_0007.JPG
Loch Voil
DSC_0014.JPG
Stob a'Choin
DSC_0019.JPG
That'll be us then!
DSC_0020.JPG
Goes exactly where it says on the sign

As height was gained, the views down Loch Voil and to Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin opened up to the East, and the Corbett Stob a'Choin behind us looks a fine hill, and an excuse to come back here another day. Higher still and we were looking South to Ben Lomond, and getting Stob Binnein & Ben More revealed themselves to the North
DSC_0034.JPG
Loch Voil
DSC_0036.JPG
Stob a'Choin
DSC_0043.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin
DSC_0050.JPG
Ben Lomond
DSC_0053.JPG
Posing!
DSC_0054.JPG
and some more!
DSC_0057.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein

Great views of all the surrounding hills from the summit, though as we hadnt started walking until 3pm, we didnt hang around long before setting off up Cruach Ardrain.
DSC_0071.JPG
The thank f**k that slogs over pose!
DSC_0072.JPG
Cruach Ardrain from Beinn Tulaichean
DSC_0074.JPG
Yours Truly

We were down at the Bealach in no time, and heading up the now well defined path to Ardrain, time was getting on, and the cloud was starting to spill in from the West, and it couldn't have been much above freezing by the time we hit the summit, so again didn't hang around long. Great views of the big two from the summit.
DSC_0116.JPG
Ardrain cairn
DSC_0117.JPG
The big 2

Another good walk with fabulous views, especially on Tulaichean, though we found the walk up it was a bit of a slog. Would have been nice to have spent longer on the summits, but we wanted to get back to the car and off the single track road before dark.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Target reached on Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Postby skuk007 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Nice report and congratulations on reaching your target. Winter's not here yet so I'm sure you could squeeze another dozen in. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Stretch » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Congrats on reaching your target, these are 2 of my fav hills in the central belt and it looks like you had a fine day. But I have to ask, isn't it already winter? :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:12 am

:thumbup: nice report and photos lw and well done on reaching your target :D there's still plenty of time left this year for a few more especially once the midges go 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pruney84 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Well done on reaching your target guys and some great photo's...I also set myself the goal of reaching 25 this year although at the moment im struggling to get there!! Ha
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:07 am

Not quite got to these 2 yet but they're on the cards................needless to say, great report, I'll use it for direction when I do get to them but if it's wrong you'll be hearing from me!!! :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report and congratulations on reaching your target. Winter's not here yet so I'm sure you could squeeze another dozen in. :)

Not sure about a dozen skuk, but i'll hopefully get a few more in before the snow comes 8)

Stretch wrote:Congrats on reaching your target, these are 2 of my fav hills in the central belt and it looks like you had a fine day. But I have to ask, isn't it already winter? :lol:

It certainly felt like winter on Cruach Ardrain :problem: Scenery more than made up for it though, lovely part of the country

rockhopper wrote::thumbup: nice report and photos lw and well done on reaching your target :D there's still plenty of time left this year for a few more especially once the midges go 8)

Cheers RH :D Definitely hope to get a few more under my belt, midge free would be a bonus 8)

pruney84 wrote:Well done on reaching your target guys and some great photo's...I also set myself the goal of reaching 25 this year although at the moment im struggling to get there!! Ha

Cheers Pruney84, as the guys have said, still plenty time to turn a few more balloons blue 8) My mate is on 9, so I may have to do a few I've done already to let him catch up, wont let him get too close tho :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Stuart Angus wrote:Not quite got to these 2 yet but they're on the cards................needless to say, great report, I'll use it for direction when I do get to them but if it's wrong you'll be hearing from me!!! :lol:

2 worth doing for the scenery alone Stuart 8) Makes the slog up Tulaichean worth the effort. Dont rely on me for directions, I got lost on Beinn Ime :lol: 2 be fair, I'd forgotten the map and got hit by severe whiteout, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :shh:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Jabber » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Nice!
I did like these two a lot. You get some really smashing views of all the Northern end of Loch Lomond and some more. Must try them from this direction next time.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Jabber wrote:Nice!
I did like these two a lot. You get some really smashing views of all the Northern end of Loch Lomond and some more. Must try them from this direction next time.

Agreed Jabber, the views were awesome, the view back to Loch Voil kept us going as we plodded up Tulaichean
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland