walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Looking for help

Looking for help

Postby Scots-Snapper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi there everyone.

I am new here and hoping to get a little help.

I have taken the giant leap and I am trying to make my living from Photography. Over the years I have taken a lot of images but always from the ground looking up. The problem that I have is that I cannot read a map and have difficulty in naming the ranges and Bens etc. that I have taken. For the bulk of these images I know where I was but cannot name what Ben or Mor etc.that I have taken the picture of.

I am hoping to find someone that is willing to help me with naming these ranges and confirming the ones that I have already named. I would be extremely grateful for this and would of course make sure that they were credited on the site for all their help.

I know that this is asking a lot but hopefully there will be someone out there that would like to help, if so then you can contact me at david@scottishlandscapesonline.co.uk and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

David.
Scots-Snapper
Hill Bagger

Re: Looking for help

Postby mountain coward » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi - the one on the following link is Meall a' Bhuiridh with the Clach Leathad (Clachlet) ridge behind.

http://www.scottishlandscapesonline.co.uk/page8.html
mountain coward

Postby Scots-Snapper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi there Mountain Coward,

Many thanks for getting back to me and with an answer to one of the images, unfortunately there link you have sent is for the slide show on the web site and I'm not sure as to which one you mean.

If you go into the shop you will see all the categories there and they all have a reference number so that I know exactly which image people are talking about. You will find that they are split into Artistic and Photographic and then split down into sections within them.

I am going to go on a hunch here and guess that it's not the shot from Loch tulla which leaves the shot from Lochan na h-Achlaise or the shot from Forest Lodge looking up Linne nam Beathach ?
Scots-Snapper
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am

Sorry - didn't see the way into the rest of the site... I'll have a browse and see if recognise any more.

The one I meant is titled 'Morning Frost - Lochan na h-Achlaise'
mountain coward

Postby walk aboot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Scots-Snapper

You might like to invest in a couple of summit maps:

http://www.summitmap.co.uk/

They are affordable and very easy guides (3 in the series) to helping you identify mountains in Scotland. I am completely hopeless when it comes to naming hills I am looking at, and find these a big help :-)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby sloosh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 am

Nice pics. :)

You maybe want to sign up as a photographer with your non-print images on this site: istockphoto.com ;)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:14 am

walk aboot wrote:Hi Scots-Snapper

You might like to invest in a couple of summit maps:

http://www.summitmap.co.uk/

They are affordable and very easy guides (3 in the series) to helping you identify mountains in Scotland. I am completely hopeless when it comes to naming hills I am looking at, and find these a big help :-)

I recently got the full set of 3 summit maps - there's a special offer on in partnership with MCofS - you get them all for a tenner (less than half price! - normally £7 each).
I'm trying to find the link to the page on the summit maps site. I'm sure it was in Scottish Mountaineer magazine? Will post back if/when I find it...
You didn't have to be a member of MCofS to take up the offer, but it's not advertised on the summit maps site main pages.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:28 am

HighlandSC

Postby Scots-Snapper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:37 pm

HighlandSC wrote:There you go:
http://www.summitmap.co.uk/mcos.html

Thanks to everyone for their help with this I might even be able to read these better than the OS ones as I find them hard to figure out which ones is which most of the time !!
Scots-Snapper
Hill Bagger

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:08 pm

A point about the summit maps - these are Munro summit maps only, so you don't get anything else on the chart apart from the Munros.
HighlandSC

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...