walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain

Gulvain

Postby csimbad » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 12/08/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21.1 km

Ascent: 1571m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its was my last day staying in kilfinnan lodges so headed off towards Spean Bridge to stop at the memorial to have a look around, had hoped to venture up the Grey Corries but you could hardly see them so I had been reading about the Gulvain the night before and decided to head towards it as it was alot clearer in that direction below 900m anyway so ventured up the A830 Fortwilliam to Mallaig road and parking pretty much at the Strontian junction. Only one other car there noticed they had a bike rack did read it would be easier to cycle in but thought against it thankfully as I enjoyed the walk in. I put on the rucksack and headed across the old bridge on to the forest track leading to the rough track up the East side of the Fionn Lighe river to cotinue past Wauchan cottage and over Allt a' Choire Reidh to start the steep ascent of the Gulvain. I changed in to the boots and started climbing spotting 3 walkers in front, it felt like it was never ending getting up but finally arrived at the South top trig point to take a break and a few pics, views were pretty good as I was just below the cloud. I then headed to the summit passing the 3 walkers on the way after a wee chat they had cycled in before me and then wasn't to long before reaching the summit. At this point I was in the cloud with nothing to see so didn,t hang about and decided to make my way back down as I knew there was rain forcast for the afternoon so after another chat with the 3 walkers again I left them on the summit and was off on down. Was a bit slippy on the way down as the rain started and I ended up going head first down one bit but all ended well apart from ripping the trousers. Absolutely loved it espescially once up climbing the narrow ridge to the summit just wish I could have got the views from up there but still I'm pretty happy with what I got. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP1783.JPG
Gulvain in the distance
IMGP1785.JPG
IMGP1791.JPG
Getting closer
IMGP1794.JPG
Finally
IMGP1802.JPG
Loch Awe in the distance
IMGP1805.JPG
Craggy knoll at 855m
IMGP1807.JPG
IMGP1810.JPG
Glen Dubh Lighe
IMGP1811.JPG
South point ahead
IMGP1815.JPG
South point trig pont
IMGP1818.JPG
Ridge leading to summit
IMGP1821.JPG
Ridge leading to summit
IMGP1822.JPG
Looking back to South top
IMGP1825.JPG
Looking back to South top
IMGP1827.JPG
Almost there
IMGP1828.JPG
Gulvain summit
IMGP1830.JPG
IMGP1832.JPG
IMGP1833.JPG
IMGP1844.JPG
IMGP1846.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Gulvain

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Pity about the weather again but it hasn't stopped you racking them up :thumbup: and some nice eerie photos in the mist :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland