walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn lutharn Mhor & a swim

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn lutharn Mhor & a swim

Postby clivew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 14/08/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Managed to get up early on a Sunday morning to attempt this walk; reached the Dalmunzie Castle Hotel just before 09.00 and was walking 10 minutes later. I had originally only planned to do two Munro's and then got talking to a guy in the car park who was going to do Beinn lutharn Mhor via Gleann Taitneach so I started thinking about adding that one to my list. It was a great morning after all the rain we have had over the past couple of weeks; thankfully the sun was shining and it was warm. I'll explain why I was so thankful in a minute but it is also linked to the fact there are no pictures with this report...... all will come clear shortly. I decided to follow the land-rover track up Glen Lochsie rather than the line of the old mountain railway; this sounds a bit stupid really as the land-rover track to the summit of Glas Tulaichean crosses the river twice and the river was in flood, you can probably see where this is heading. Crossed over the river a fair bit north of the usual crossing place due to the depth of water and then followed the track up to the Glenlochsie Lodge where, you guessed it, you have to cross the river again. I found what looked like a safe place to cross, got three quarters of the way over hopping over rocks and decided I would rather swim across instead; either that or I slipped on a rock and fell into a deep pool alongside the bank, you can take your pick. I was out of that river like a shot soaked from head to foot; thankfully I had taken my fleece off and put it in the pack. My camera was out of its case and in my pocket so was the map, all of which were full of water. I walked up to the rocks just below the ruin took of my boots and everything else (bloody good job the place was deserted) and started ringing the water out of my socks, trousers, shirt, boot insoles etc, etc. Having rung out as much as I could I put the socks and insoles on a rock in the sun and proceeded to do my impression of one of those whirly gig clothes lines. Standing there stark naked swinging my clothes around my head as fast as I could. Thankfully you can see the track coming up the Glen for a fair distance and I couldn't see anyone approaching. This quick drying walking gear is great, after a few minutes of fast spin the trousers and shirt were dry enough to put on (well almost); I put one pair of the socks and the boots back on and everything else I attached to my pack and left there to dry. After a cup of coffee and a sandwich I felt good enough to hit the trail. The walk up to the summit of Glas Tulaichean is a steady pull which allowed me to keep walking at a good pace with the sun on my back, I was soon just below the summit, stopping again I put on the remaining bits of clothes that by now were fairly dry. I had been carrying the map in my hand and that wasn't too bad either. As you can see from the map below I followed the route over the summit and then on down to the boggy bits below Mam nan Carn and then followed the track along towards Carn an Righ. I made good time and was on the summit of Carn an Righ before 12.00; which wasn't bad considering all the stops I had. After Carn an Righ I dropped back down to the Bealach and followed the track which heads around the north side of Mam nan Carn, the track follows the contours for a fair while and then disappears below the ridge which separates Man nan Carn from Beinn lutharn Mhor. The route up to the summit was a bit rocky in places but easy enough to follow and I made it to the top by 1.15; I followed the same route down before climbing to the Carn on the top of Mam nan Carn. From here you can see Loch nan Eun down below and I headed towards the west side of the loch so I could pick up the track which follows the Allt Easgaidh back towards the Dalmunzie Castle Hotel. When I left the top of Beinn lutharn Mhor I promised myself a pint at the hotel if I reached it before 4.00 and guess what I reached it with 20 seconds to spare (honest) enjoyed a swift pint before heading back home to Edinburgh and a soak in a hot bath. The camera still isn't working, hopefully a few days in the sun might bring it back to life. Another great day out even with the unplanned dip; just put it down to experience and thank goodness for quick drying clothes.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn lutharn Mhor & a swim

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 am

did these on saturday and hadnt really taken into account how high the water levels would be after all the rain recently.had to cross two fords that were knee high and then the river which was nearly waist high but it was a great walk.will prob do a report and put pics up as i only ended up wet to the waist,lol
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 am

Tough luck with the camera, but it'll probably be beyond revival. Mine dropped out of a pocket into a burn and I waited a month for it to work - without luck. It eventually took pics OK, but the LCD display wouldn't work, so I couldn't see what I was photographing. Carelessness on my part cost me £100 for the excess on my insurance.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby clivew » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 pm

iainwatson wrote:did these on saturday and hadnt really taken into account how high the water levels would be after all the rain recently.had to cross two fords that were knee high and then the river which was nearly waist high but it was a great walk.will prob do a report and put pics up as i only ended up wet to the waist,lol

I've been telling my work colleagues what happened they haven't laughed so much in ages, I just hope there was no one watching
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby clivew » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Tough luck with the camera, but it'll probably be beyond revival. Mine dropped out of a pocket into a burn and I waited a month for it to work - without luck. It eventually took pics OK, but the LCD display wouldn't work, so I couldn't see what I was photographing. Carelessness on my part cost me £100 for the excess on my insurance.

You are probably right about the camera; the good news is I was thinking about replacing it anyway as the function switch was playing up and I often ended up taking a video instead of a single picture. Its my birthday soon hopefully my better half will be feeling generous
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

clivewYou are probably right about the camera; the good news is I was thinking about replacing it anyway as the function switch was playing up and I often ended up taking a video instead of a single picture. Its my birthday soon hopefully my better half will be feeling generous

It depends on what your camera was worth, but it could still ease the pain a bit by claiming on your household insurance. For mine, I had to pay the first £100 - but the insurance paid for the other £170
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby clivew » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Border Reiver wrote:
clivewYou are probably right about the camera; the good news is I was thinking about replacing it anyway as the function switch was playing up and I often ended up taking a video instead of a single picture. Its my birthday soon hopefully my better half will be feeling generous

It depends on what your camera was worth, but it could still ease the pain a bit by claiming on your household insurance. For mine, I had to pay the first £100 - but the insurance paid for the other £170

I had never thought about the insurance; I'll check it out as the original cost was about the same as yours so its worth a try.
Thanks
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm

It's a shame about the skinny dipping, but you seem to have enjoyed your day on these three. Loved doing this walk myself, but I took the dis-used railway route, which was a bit boggy in places when I was there in drier weather, so not sure how much you would have gained had you taken that route - swimming in peat bog perhaps :shock: Let's hope you get the camera situation sorted though
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby clivew » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 pm

PeteR wrote:It's a shame about the skinny dipping, but you seem to have enjoyed your day on these three. Loved doing this walk myself, but I took the dis-used railway route, which was a bit boggy in places when I was there in drier weather, so not sure how much you would have gained had you taken that route - swimming in peat bog perhaps :shock: Let's hope you get the camera situation sorted though

Thanks Pete, yes it was an enjoyable day out as always and whatever the weather. I've already had a real good laugh re-telling this story in work, everyone thinks I'm nuts anyway for some of the walks I do, so this just confirms it.
Going to have a break from walking this weekend doing some path maintenance on Schiehallion with the John Muir Trust; that's another great walk.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn lutharn Mhor & a sw

Postby charliecharles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Having read your report I am planning on following in your footsteps tomorrow - but no skinny dipping!
charliecharles
Munro compleatist

Munros:208   

Postby douganderson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Haha, my mates and i did this route a while back. The plan was to stick to the old railway route, but by the time we set off we were already being drawn to the landrover track for some reason. Managed to get over ok but by the time we got to the lodge and had to cross back over the water was a bit too high for comfort. Cue stalking up and down looking for a safe place to cross.

Eventually decided to call it a day without completing the walk, but revisited a week or two after.

A fine walk indeed! Lucky enough to see a herd of deer too, braw!
douganderson

Munros:33   

Postby mananaja » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 am

thankful in a minute but it is also linked to the fact there are no pictures with this report......
mananaja
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland