walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Success on the InPin in Mist

Success on the InPin in Mist

Postby Les Stuart » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 07/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Saturday I drove up to Skye with a friend, Stewart to meet Cris a walking friend at the Glen Brittle Hostel. We arrived about 6.30pm in glorious sunshine and the Cuillin were looking majestic with the clear blue sky in the background.
On Sunday morning we met up with the guide that Cris had been out with before, though on this visit he was taking a day off and his colleague Lochy was going to be our guide for the day. The original plan was to climb Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and The InPin though because of the weather forecast a final decision would be made later. We set off about 9am from the Memorial Hut and followed the path until we reached the path that you take east to Sgurr Dearg. Lochy decided at the junction that we would go for the InPin first as the black clouds were rolling in and sure enough, when we got up onto the west shoulder Sgurr Dearg the rain came on and after a short while the waterproofs went on. As we gained height we were in the clouds and as the paths narrowed with steep drops, maybe just as well you could not see them and before we knew it we were at the ridge facing the InPin, as Lochy had us going at a fast pace.
DSCF1029(resized).jpg

Had an energy bar and drink before putting our helmet and harness on, then slowly down the stone and scree slope to the east ridge of the InPin to be given our last minute instructions before being roped up and then commencing the climb. Lochy pointed out the lower part of the route as he went first followed by Stewart, Cris then myself. The climb was a bit of a haze for me as I was so focused in looking for the hand and foot holds and the wet rock did not make it easy. We reached the half way mark and had a few minutes rest and a wee chat and encouraging each other and that it would not be long before we reached the summit. The second pitch was easier though more exposed with just one tricky part near the top which we all managed without too much bother.
DSCF1030(resized).jpg

New_1_DSCF1029.JPG
Me Orange helmet to the left

Next we were on the summit then sitting on the ledge getting instructions for the abseil. Stewart went first and got down with no problems then Cris was next. Because she had not done an abseil before she was fairly tense and Lochy and I knew when she had reached solid ground as the screams stopped which must have been heard back at the Glen Brittle Hostel. I went next and for me was the highlight of the day.
We went up to the ridge where our rucksacks were, had lunch congratulated each other and because of the wet weather the guide decided that we would miss out Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and just descend the way we came up.
We went to the Carbost Inn for a celebration drink. A great day and Cris was pleased that she did the InPin as she thought she might only achieve Sgurr Dearg, though the guide was having none of that.
Because of the weather and the speed we were doing, I did not take any photos though Stewart managed a few.
DSCF1032(resized).jpg

We descended the route that we came up and by the time we got back to the car the cloud had lifted above the summits.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Success on the InPin in Mist

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Well done to all of you, helluva a day for it by the look of it. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby JohnJoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

I really like that pub in Carbost - much nicer than the Sligachan Hotel.

How much does it cost to get a guide for stuff like this?
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm

JohnJoe wrote:I really like that pub in Carbost - much nicer than the Sligachan Hotel.

How much does it cost to get a guide for stuff like this?

Check with Skye Hi Guide for there tariff as going in a group reduces the cost per person.
Yes the Carbost has a good atmosphere.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:33 pm

It is surprising how focused you become when you make the decision to go for it.
I am sure you will tackle it soon.
lomondwalkers wrote:Well done to all of you, helluva a day for it by the look of it. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough :lol:
Les Stuart

Postby stomper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Yes Use Graham from Ski Hi if you are wanting a guide to me he is 1st class and #1 Guide on Skye with very competative rates will be using him next month again to finish off Skye
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland