walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a Mhaoraich - Nancy's first Munro

Sgurr a Mhaoraich - Nancy's first Munro

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 04/05/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Persuaded Nancy to come and climb Sgurr a Mhaoraich with me and Amile. On the way to Loch Quoich we did a wee detour to get the view of Loch Garry - reminding me of trips from Dundee to family holidays in Skye.

DSC01767-large-small.jpg

Is it just me or does this look like the map of Scotland?

DSC01768-large._sharpenjpg-small.jpg

Originally from California, Nancy has done a bit of walking there, but this was only her second Scottish hill walk and her first Munro. I'd been wanting to climb this hill for a while but was saving it for a good weather day to get the best of the views. Here we are by the side of the road and about ready for off.

100_4568-small.jpg

Loch Quoich.

DSC01770-large-small.jpg

I told Amile to go at his own speed and not to worry about us. So we didn't see him again until the summit! :D For a while the dogs kept running between us and this is them returning from checking on him but as the gap widened they gave up on that idea and stuck with us. 8) Sensible hounds.

DSC01773-large-small.jpg

Nancy and the hills of Knoydart looking good behind.

DSC01774-large-small.jpg

Bridge of Quoich.

DSC01775-large-small.jpg

South side of the South Glenshiel ridge.

DSC01777-large-small.jpg

Ridge leading to the top.

DSC01778-large-small.jpg

What a fabulous hill this is.

DSC01782-large-small.jpg

Looking down into Alltbeithe where there are buildings and to our surprise what looks like a landing strip. :?

DSC01783-large-small.jpg

Found out from a local it was indeed a landing strip built for George V and his deer stalking cronies! 8) It's amazing what you learn climbing hills.

DSC01784-large-small.jpg

Jack keeps his cool on a warm day wallowing in mud.

DSC01785-large-small.jpg

Tess does too but being black you wouldn't know with her!

DSC01786-large-small.jpg

Nancy was taking it all in her stride but someone had said there was a short bit of exposed scrambling near the top so I wondered what lay ahead.

DSC01789-large-small.jpg

There are a few outcrops of rock to go round or scramble over which all adds interest to the ridge.

DSC01790-large-small.jpg

Towards the top the hill is quite steep and rocky which gives it real character.

DSC01788-large-small.jpg

But there was nothing to it apart from a steepish narrow path traversing a bit of cliff and no problem at all. Nancy is a fitness trainer so here she is at the top doing her stretches while muscles were still warm! :lol:

DSC01796-large-small.jpg

Well done Nancy on your first Munro! Amile reached the top about an hour before us and had a sleep while he was waiting. What is it about guys and speed on hills? :?

DSC01797-large-small.jpg

West to Loch Hourn and the Cuillin ridge.

DSC01792-large-small.jpg

South to Ben Nevis on sky line.

DSC01791-large-small.jpg

North to Sgurr na Sgine and the KIntail ridge.

DSC01793-large-small.jpg

After finding a sheltered spot for lunch we headed down the ridge again, going down the way we came up to give us the maximum time we could have to enjoy those views.

DSC01801-large-small.jpg

DSC01802-large-small.jpg

Nancy was going at a good speed and I didn't know until later that even with poles her knees became very painful on the descent. :shock: So sadly she feels that as well as being her first Munro it will be her last. :( (If there's any wonder cure out there for sore knees please let me know!) Apart from that it was perfect day.

DSC01803-large-small.jpg
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Sgurr a Mhaoraich - Nancy's first Munro

Postby Bod » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:41 pm

A lovely day out......nice pics and like the view down Loch Hourn...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Wow stunning views you had,at least I now know what I missed 2 weeks ago.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby salinger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 pm

fantastic set of pictures. have to visit someday.

many thanks for sharing
salinger
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am

Lovely hill this one as are all the ones around Loch Quioch. Well done to Nancy on her first Munro, just a shame it's also her last but at least she did one. A knee strapping is all i can suggest for sore knees, that what i wear on my left knee and it makes a huge differance.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey GLW am I by any chance picking up the hint you're sometimes unlucky with the weather? I've had a few experiences like that :( so now I'm obsessive compulsive about checking MWIS before starting out and will change plans to follow good odds on cloud free summits. It can be annoying for folk trying to make plans with me but the up side is we often get good views! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Lovely hill this one as are all the ones around Loch Quioch. Well done to Nancy on her first Munro, just a shame it's also her last but at least she did one. A knee strapping is all i can suggest for sore knees, that what i wear on my left knee and it makes a huge differance.

Thanks JC. On a previous walk with Nancy I gave her elasticated knee supports to see if that would help. But she said they felt like tourniquets so wasn't keen to use them again! I guess you get what you pay for and they were cheap ones out of the chemist.
dogplodder

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Very enjoyable report, with some excellent pictures :D I still have this one to do, but for some reason despite loving this area it hadn't been too high on the list. I think your photos may have helped promote it as it looks like my sort of a hill. I also plan to tackle the south glen sheil ridge from this side - walking by the landing strip ypou spied by the looks of it. I have that trip saved for a day of excellent weather, coupled with a prolonged moment of insanity :lol: as I think it will be one hell of a trip :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Excellent photos and a great trip - well done :thumbup: It's definitely not only you who thinks that the loch looks like a map of Scotland 8)

I tend to have a simialr problem with my knees especially on the descents which I often find harder than ascents. A while back monty suggested "shaking" my knees as I walked and I find this helps. As I walk along, when my right leg is up and left leg on the ground, I shake the right leg a few times around the knee area which seems to loosen up the knee cap. Then do the same for the left and keep alternating for a bit. Sounds odd but it does seem to work for me and helps the soreness which starts just under the knee cap.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 pm

rockhopper wrote:
I tend to have a simialr problem with my knees especially on the descents which I often find harder than ascents. A while back monty suggested "shaking" my knees as I walked and I find this helps. As I walk along, when my right leg is up and left leg on the ground, I shake the right leg a few times around the knee area which seems to loosen up the knee cap. Then do the same for the left and keep alternating for a bit. Sounds odd but it does seem to work for me and helps the soreness which starts just under the knee cap.

Sounds like the Hokey Cokey :lol: Do you get funny looks when you're doing it? :roll:

Seriously though thanks for that tip and I'll try it. I used to be almost crippled with knee pain (especially when cold and wet) on the descents until I got poles. They have made a huge difference but when knees play up I take Ibuprufen if it's bad enough. The things we do to climb these hills! :wtf:
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland