walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is It Because I Lied When I Was Seventeen?

Is It Because I Lied When I Was Seventeen?

Postby Salahuddin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:52 am

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 04/07/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 612m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Up in Ullapool for a week this was one of the first on the 'to do list'...

Knowing the forecast for the next few days was going to be Scottish in nature we planned this walk almost on the spur of the moment. Setting off at 6:30am from Ullapool we reached the car park approx 30 mins later and to our delight we were the only ones there.

Wakey wakey Polly.JPG
Early morning start, Stac Polly still in her blanket.

Warm, hazy morning in this glorious landscape surrounded by stunning hills we could only imagine what views we would have at the summit. What made this walk even more special was the absence of Midges and Clegs?!? maybe they were waiting for us enroute?

DSCF0404.JPG
The path up constructed well with a touch of ruggedness...

We set off from the car park throught the gate across the road, and made our way up the very well maintained path, immediate views are spectacular. Stac Pollaidh is unlike any of the other hills in the area its once great pinnicles have been shattered by the elements and the remains sit like a decaying crown and In this beautiful sunshine you can even see the jewels shine.

DSCF0406.JPG
Too early for a tune?

Stac polly 114.JPG
Views opening out to the south east

The path initially goes through much growth but the path itself is at no point boggy or obstructed so it is easy going. The walk is moderately steep but begins to level out further up beyond the 'treeline'. It was at this point i thought my curse of bad weather prediction was back to haunt me... i must have done something to upset mother nature at some point as a really nasty looking cloud threatened to engulf me on accent...

Stac polly 137.JPG
Oh not again...

DSCF0433.JPG
Ominous

Approaching the east side of the mountain the views open up initially Sgurr An Fhidhleir is a prominent sight to the south, a real spearhead of a hill at this angle, whilst to the east south east Cul Beag dominates. It was at this point the first natives welcomed us with a cautious stare. We didnt think we would bump into a small herd of deer but it was certainly a bonus.

Stac polly 122.JPG
Views to the South with Beinn an Eoin protecting Sgurr an Fhidhleir.

Stac polly 124.JPG
The Stac to the West.

DSCF0480.JPG
Being so early im guessing the deer in the centre is upset she hadnt the chance to put on her make up, whilst the one behind is was probably out last night...

The cloud passed and in its place warming photons bounced of the landscape, it was raining sunshine....

DSCF0415.JPG
Polly's Butt

Over the east hump approaching the north side of the mountain the views to the south become obstucted by the huge buttress of Stac Pollaidh's eastern end but evn more spectacular views open up to the North West with the enormous Cul Mor outline becoming the primary focus. The lochan on Cul Mor looks an awesome place to camp (maybe one for the future 8) )

Stac polly 132.JPG
Cul Mor's silhouette dominates the east

Its seems all i have done so far is harp on about the views which were spectacular but once around the East end the best was yet to come...

Stac polly 135.JPG
I knew Suilven is pretty but...

Suilven has a grace that is unmatched, and with its morning veil it looked both mysterious and alluring.

DSCF0426.JPG
Stunning

The path sweeps around the north of the hill with a simple walk up to the top however i wanted a little excitment so i spotted a route that seems to have been used before that goes directly to the broad gully next to the guardian pinnicle and central peak.

DSCF0437.JPG
Looking down the route of ascent.

The route up this way was initially simple very few hands out of pockets moments. however as you enter the gully it becomes much more of a scramble until you reach the halfway point. From here the route requires good scrambling ability to reach the summit or optional rock climbing skills if you are going on a more direct route (there are a couple of paths you could choose i just chose to go almost directly up in a straight line only avoiding vertical climbs)

DSCF0441.JPG
To give you an idea of the little path that takes you up here, the photo is taken from the end of the 'easiest' section about to start the scramble up

DSCF0439.JPG
Views from in here are not bad either.

From this section the summit is reached in what felt like minutes (30+ mins really) but that is probably due to the adrenaline. The summit is easy to navigate lots of fun scrambling to be had at the top. but to reach the true summit a large pinnicle stands in the way it has many routes up that i could see but for most a 'bypass' route for non climbers can be reached on the south side by shimmying up a diagonal rock. Technically not hard but requires nerves of steel as the drop on your left is fearsome i imagine the return would be even more scary. :(

DSCF0440.JPG
Looking up at the scramble ahead

DSCF0456.JPG
Top of the climb, it looks worse than it really was.

My route was to rock climb directly up and over the pinnicle for me this was best as i prefer to stay away from edges and have a little faith in my climbing ability. on the way back its was the same route but the last 2-3ft need a jump (but onto a safe spot to land on) unless you have confidence in your climbing ability i dont recommend you do this :lol:

DSCF0467.JPG
The guardian, I literally went up the centre looks like a staircase in the pic but it is very steep and the otherside has a drop to the path that needs careful negotiation.

DSCF0458.JPG
Central summit

DSCF0461.JPG
I have seen pics of these pincers in their prime now just the base remains.

After savouring the views all around we returned the way we came, sliding on my bum for a good chunk of the way down :D Picture dont do the mountain justice but i have thrown in a couple of panoramas for you folk to enjoy.

DSCF0470.JPG
N-W-S Panorama

DSCF0471.JPG
S-E-N Panorama

On the way back we bumped into the first few walkers of the day everyone was so polite, sweaty but polite. Stac Polaidh similar to my other report on The Cobbler has immense character and is a very rewarding climb, in my opinion the summit of Stac Pollaidh is harder to reach, less airy maybe but technically more challenging.

DSCF0484.JPG
Glistening

Do you have a spare 3 hours while your up here? if so what are you waiting for?
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Re: Is It Because I Lied When I Was Seventeen?

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:32 pm

nice photos, looked like a good climb
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:47 pm

I was on there on Friday in excellent weather
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13158
It is quite the most superb mountain. Your pics are good and I'm glad the weather held out for you. Enjoy the rest of your week and say Hello to Quinag for me, I've been home for three days and already missing my new found favourite place.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Some really stunning pics in there, especially of Suilven with the low cloud. Days like that are what its all about. Great stuff 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Salahuddin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 am

Cheers guys. You are right the weather does make a huge difference to most walks i dont think i would attempted the last pinnicle and probably even the route of ascent in very wet/windy weather. Im far to much of a wimp :lol:
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Postby Red Peak » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Some fantastic photos there :thumbup: It's the kind of hill you can spend hours on happily exploring all the ridges and pinnacles.

Pity you had to title your report with a line from such an irritating song :wink: :lol:
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Great report Salahuddin.
Follows on the heals of Colregs report. Excellent title too. :D
monty

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:17 pm

fabulous looking hill and a fine report!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby kinley » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Grrrr :?

It took me a few hours to remember which song had that line....and when I did it wasn't worth it!

:lol: :lol: 8)

Great report though :)
kinley

Postby JTweedie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Loved the first photo especially, it just has a welcoming feel about it, promising a great day's walking.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Cuillin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice report which shows just how special this hill and its neighbours are. :D

sallahuddin wrote:but to reach the true summit a large pinnicle stands in the way it has many routes up that i could see but for most a 'bypass' route for non climbers can be reached on the south side by shimmying up a diagonal rock. Technically not hard but requires nerves of steel as the drop on your left is fearsome i imagine the return would be even more scary.

The slab bypass route does look exposed when you see it from the false summit but in reality you don't feel much exposure. When on the slab you're under a rock roof before moving up into a small chimney which gives you a feeling of protection. The only real feeling of exposure comes when you reverse the route back down onto the slab which has very few holds. That being said, I thought it was a good route when I did it a year ago.
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Great report Salahuddin. Had hoped to get up there this [so-called] summer but wimped out & headed south instead. So I'll just have to made do with fab reports like this. Loved the photos, especially of the majestic Suilven.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby benandjustine » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 am

Enjoyed reading this report; it was the title that intrigued me. It must be twenty five years since I climbed this week beauty & now I feel a need to get back there. Thanks
benandjustine

Munros:110   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Islands:21

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland