walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

horizontal rain

horizontal rain

Postby mr_mrsH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 19/09/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

having gotten the munro bagging bug we were of again, although the weather wasn't on our side this time getting nearer to the summit the rain was virtually horizontal coming from our left, left side wet right side dry, only when we were on our way down did the rain ease off. but still an enjoyable day out.
DSCF3914.JPG
mrsH nearing the summit

DSCF3915.JPG
a misty top
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: horizontal rain

Postby snodland » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Sorry to say there are more days like that a -coming. Though it is worth it for the good days.
Thanks for the report. I briefly considered Mount Keen myself last week.
I'm a little glad I chose the Corrieyairack Pass instead
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby Essan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 am

Horizontal rain? Nah, horizontal hail is much more fun :D
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 am

It gets more interesting when the wind is blowing the rain/hail/sleet upwards into your face. Sometimes accompanied by gravel, heather and small stones. :o
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:10 pm

It's kind of odd but no matter how bad the weather is, you'll often find there're other walkers doing the same - then you ask each other "why are we doing this" and generally end up with the same "Malloryesqe" answer...."because it's there" :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Macshimidh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I always liked the answer Mallory gave to the same question in 1922:

The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, ‘What is the use of climbing Mount Everest?’ and my answer must at once be, ‘It is no use.’ There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It’s no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won’t see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for.

He obviously couldn't be bothered repeating that lot, so he got it down to three words after that :-)
Macshimidh
Ambler

Munros:32   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland