walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol Circuit plus two!

Glas Maol Circuit plus two!

Postby jonny616 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21.2 km

Ascent: 1155m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from a cold damp lay-by before the devils elbow, having left two cars at the other lay-by past the ski centre (knocks 5K of the walk :D ). I wondered if the weather report was going to be correct as it seemed wetter & colder than MWIS suggested.

The initial path from the lay-by is very obvious, which was nice. Once some height was gained we struck a line for the bealach between Meall Gorm & the 932 point. Once at the bealach headed up to point 932 & then a little further to the summit of Creag Leacah. Whilst heading up there was a cry of deer on the ridge, much grabing of cameras, then oh look the deer have a dog with them, then oh look its people. Dohh :lol:

From Creag Leacah to Glas Maol is straight forward enough, follow the wall past a cairn, then leave the wall & follow the fence posts past the cairn marked on the OS map, which brings you to the summit in an arc to avoid losing height.

From there to Cairn of Claise you pick up the land rover track, which actually had a land rover on it(no keys), you could follow the wall but the track is easier on the tootsies. :lol: Once below the summit leave the track & head up the scree. Nice cairn & shelter. Had lunch here by the wall as the shelter was taken by a nice family (if you are reading this Sol apologises for the phallic display with the cairn stone)
From here you can see Tom Buidhe & Tolmount & not quite believe it.

Three quarters of the way up Tom Buidhe there is a visible track taking you towards Tolmount, left my rucksack here for the wee 10 mins to the summit.

Back down & over to Tolmount from were you get great views of Dreish, Mayar & the rim of the corrie fee.

From here its best to retrace your steps a bit to avoid to much height loss especially as unlike Tolmount from Tom Buidhe, Carn an Tuirc looks bleeding miles away. Also best to take a bearing as summit disappears from view not long after leaving Tolmount & as the whole plateau is similar you could add on some unwanted K’s

From Carn an Tuirc to the lay-by is fairly quick & painless for a walk out.

The whole route is boggy, but a good day out if dry the views are great in a flattish for miles sort of way, but you can see Broad Cairn, Lochnagar etc.
Hats of to MWIS as the weather was spot on.
DSC02233a.JPG
Above the Meall Gorm Bealach
DSC02237a.JPG
Creag Leacah Summit
DSC02240a.JPG
looking back to Creag Leacah
DSC02243a.JPG
Glas Maol Summit
DSC02248a.JPG
Looking east from Glas Maol
DSC02249a.JPG
Hares
DSC02251a.JPG
Heading to Cairn of Claise
DSC02255a.JPG
Cairn of Claise Summit
DSC02260a.JPG
On the slopes of Tom Buidhe looking back to Cairn of Claise
DSC02261a.JPG
Tolmount from Tom Buidhe
DSC02264a.JPG
Tom Buidhe Summit
DSC02267a.JPG
Tolmount Summit
DSC02268a.JPG
Dreish & Mayar from Tolmount
DSC02275a.JPG
The Cairnwell & friends from Carn an Tuirc
DSC02279a.JPG
Carn an Tuirc from A93 lay-by
DSC02284a.JPG
Creag Leacah from A93 lay-by start point
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Glas Maol Circuit plus two!

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm

When you were leaving the summit of Tolmount, do you recall passing two people, a man and a woman? It was me and my husband :D
We started later but had better, more sunny weather towards the end of the day. It's a nice area, worth visiting more than once.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Ahrrrggg,all these walks with views,nice report jonny616
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby JGKES » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Jonny616 Enjoyed your report and photos.I did Tuirc and Claise on July 12 in sunny weather intending to bag Tolmount and Buidhe as well,but mist came in on Claise and I didn't fancy that plateau in those conditions so returned to layby,with sun reappearing of course.There's an interesting 18th century military bridge at the layby.Like you I saw several hares and ptarmigan too.Including Glas Maol and Creag Leacach is on your reckoning without help of a secondary car about 15 miles which is a useful piece of info' so thanks for that.A very satisfying round.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

BlackPanther wrote:When you were leaving the summit of Tolmount, do you recall passing two people, a man and a woman? It was me and my husband :D
We started later but had better, more sunny weather towards the end of the day. It's a nice area, worth visiting more than once.

Hi BP.

I thought i had seen you when i read the report. it turned out to be a grand day weather wise.

You'll enjoy the nice easy stroll over the other 2 when the time comes. If you have not done the Cairnwell 3 on the other side you could do them in the morning & then cross the road to do the two you did not get to.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:56 pm

You certainly had a good trip there, jonny :thumbup: won't be long 'til you're at the 100 mark :D

Looks like similar weather as well - not great at the start then much better later on with some very nice blue skies. I like the amusing photo of the hares all in a line 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:19 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Ahrrrggg,all these walks with views,nice report jonny616

Cheers GLW or is it GCW :lol:

I had my fair share of clag :(

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm

JGKES wrote:Jonny616 Enjoyed your report and photos.I did Tuirc and Claise on July 12 in sunny weather intending to bag Tolmount and Buidhe as well,but mist came in on Claise and I didn't fancy that plateau in those conditions so returned to layby,with sun reappearing of course.There's an interesting 18th century military bridge at the layby.Like you I saw several hares and ptarmigan too.Including Glas Maol and Creag Leacach is on your reckoning without help of a secondary car about 15 miles which is a useful piece of info' so thanks for that.A very satisfying round.

Hi JGKES

It is a satisfying round when you can see. Walked over the bridge you mention at the end. I doubt the other one will still be standing in 150 plus years. In the clag the walk would be compass work all the way, which would add more ascent as you would end up on a more direct line taking you into corries especialy from Tolmount to Tuirc

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:27 pm

rockhopper wrote:You certainly had a good trip there, jonny :thumbup: won't be long 'til you're at the 100 mark :D

Looks like similar weather as well - not great at the start then much better later on with some very nice blue skies. I like the amusing photo of the hares all in a line 8)

hi Rockhopper

Yeah saw you great report for the area. Trying not to fixate on the 100, just i walk at a time, but that said it would be good to make it this year.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland