walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the Blair Horse Trials

Not the Blair Horse Trials

Postby JoshieBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò)

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hoping the cloud will lift.jpg

This is my second Munro walk with my Dad (Lightfoot). While the rest of the family were watching horses and more horses go round and round at Blair Castle we spied a chance to climb a big hill :D .

The first challenge with small feet is getting across the cattle grids
Crossing cattle grid 1.jpg

Here's a neat way of doing this
Crossing cattle grid 2.jpg

After a mile's walk up a track looking at all the flowers, there were two huts marked on the map where we turned off.
One had burnt down and the other was not serving any refreshments.
Coffee shop closed.jpg

I couldn't work out why there was a hut in the middle of nowhere.

Then we had to cross a bog sticking close to a ruined wall, one bit of which looked like a scarecrow
Scarecrow wall.jpg

Thousands of flying insects had chosen today to hatch.

As we got higher up the path went from peat to brown rock to white rock, and the wind got stronger
hats on with the wind.jpg

We had great fun zigging and zagging all the way up which made the climb go quite quickly.

Finally got to the top passing a small then a much larger cairn then the trig point and a large cairn next to it. The wind was really strong.
Summit.jpg

We had some tea in the shelter
A cup of tea in shelter.jpg

Coming down was really fun on the loose stones. A lot were square and layered up - we experimented to see how well they were stuck together, and looked out for the changing colours of the rock on the way down.
Enjoying the rocks.jpg

Crossing the bog on the way back was more fun as it didn't really matter getting wet. The hut was still shut.
On the way down the track I sang the Proclaimers '500 miles' 500 times as that's the only line I know.

We got back to the car by 3.20 so we could get to the horse trials after all . And they wanted full entry price for my Dad even at 4pm, but kids get in for free!
JoshieBoy

Munros:3   

Re: Not the Blair Horse Trials

Postby rogers » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Well done JoshieBoy :thumbup:
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby falcoholic » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Well done.

Wendy and I met you on the way up near the top, you and your dad were on your way down.

Glad you had a great day.

We managed to get two in that day. Serves us right for starting late huh.

Nice to meet you.
falcoholic
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:5

Postby ndhudson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Go JoshieBoy, go!!! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi JoshieBoy. Nice report. I enjoyed reading that. If you ask me, you and your dad made the right choice to avoid all that horsey carry-on at Balir Castle and head for a nearby hill. Something tells me you'll go far in life! :thumbup: Oh, just one thing though..... you kind of have to take your own coffee. These mountain coffee shops never seem to be open for business! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Well done joshieboy - great trip and a very nice report :D I was close by on the other side of Glen Tilt and wondered what the sounds were on the return leg - found out they were from the horse trials. I'd agree with Graeme - you made the right choice :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland