walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Saobhaidhe on a girly bike and a Sub 2000

Carn na Saobhaidhe on a girly bike and a Sub 2000

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Route description: Càrn na Saobhaidhe, via Dunmaglass

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Saobhaidhe

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin (Dunmaglass)

Date walked: 16/08/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had to highjack my girlfriends bike for this one as when i went to put some air in my bike tyres all it did was release the air allready in and on inspection of the pump i found it was Knackered. So Kim was left at the caravan site bikeless as my need was more important than hers, i had bagging to do, she did as well but hers was of the shopping variety. So off i headed parking up just at the entrance to a private estate and cycled from this point up the track all the way to the summit, getting off a few times to push the bike. Unlike fellow walkhighlands member Malky_C who's report inspired me to do this by bike, i didn't fancy a 90 odd km bike ride, hence the reason parking at the estate entrance. There are lots of tracks going in all directions, some not on my map so i did have to stop occasionally to check i was on the right one and on the way down i missed my turning, only realizing when i was level with the single turbine at the 627m mark, but it was only a short detour back to get on the right track again. On the way down i stopped off to climb the Sub 2000 Beinn Mheadoin, leaving the bike at the track and climbing straight up its south slopes, an alternative would be to continue along the track for 1km and climb its south east ridge, which would be a more pleasant option if a wee bit longer. On returning to the bike one of the estate workers asked if i realized grouse shooting had started and i replied i hadn't but gathered thats what the shooting was that i had heard. He was ok about it and quite friendly and least i hadn't been shot, nothing stops us baggers eh. The trip took 4 hours in total with 2hrs 30mins to get to the Corbett, about 45 mins cylce back down and 30 mins doing the Sub and the rest in stops.
P1010364.JPG
Kims bike at the summit

P1010365.JPG
Not much to see

P1010366.JPG
Just a big flat summit

P1010367.JPG
A bit more here

P1010369.JPG
The Sub 2000 summit

P1010370.JPG
Dark clouds spoiling the view

P1010371.JPG
Some nosey cows at the finish
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Carn na Saobhaidhe on a girly bike and a Sub 2000

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Good to see this again, although you seem to have been a bit unlucky with the views. You probably ran into the same estate workers as I did last Wednesday evening.

If you hadn't have told me that was a girly bike I doubt I'd have noticed. I was expecting more pink!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:59 pm

It's actually not a bad bike though it's got smooth tyres on it and no suspension so not ideal for coming down.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Yorjick » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am

I am planning to try and tackle this on a bike but may leave the bike at the summit and head over to Carn na Laraiche Maoile on foot unless there is a track heading over that direction or the going is firm. Carn na Laraiche Maoile was deleted as a Corbett in 1981. I am guessing that it was considered to be of the same height but resurveying showed it to be slightly lower. When I did the Munros and Tops, I made sure that I included any demoted munros and Tops. Irvine Butterfield's The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland was particularly helpful in this respect (before the days when I could search for information on the internet). I have a similar approach to completing the Corbetts.

I have been using the street view on Google maps and it does not look like there is much room to park at the entrance to the estate, but there is a telephone box down the road with enough space to park and also an electrical installation with space for a few cars further down the road. I don't mind the extra distance if it's on a bike.

Any way, enough of my ramblings (excuse the pun). Thanks for the report and the photographs. Maybe I'll bump into you on the hills sometime - hopefully not due to you heading downhill at great speed on a girly bike with smooth tyres.
:lol:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am

Your some fella :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Jorjick, Thanks for the reply. I managed to park at the entrance without blocking access and as far as i recall there was only room for one car. As for heading over to the deleted Corbett, it may well be possible to bike to it as the hills are relatively flat and there are numerous tracks up there, not all of them on the map. Good luck when you head out to tackle them.
Collaciotach wrote:Your some fella :clap:
Cheers :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am

Yorjick wrote:I am planning to try and tackle this on a bike but may leave the bike at the summit and head over to Carn na Laraiche Maoile on foot unless there is a track heading over that direction or the going is firm. Carn na Laraiche Maoile was deleted as a Corbett in 1981. I am guessing that it was considered to be of the same height but resurveying showed it to be slightly lower. When I did the Munros and Tops, I made sure that I included any demoted munros and Tops. Irvine Butterfield's The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland was particularly helpful in this respect (before the days when I could search for information on the internet). I have a similar approach to completing the Corbetts.

I have been using the street view on Google maps and it does not look like there is much room to park at the entrance to the estate, but there is a telephone box down the road with enough space to park and also an electrical installation with space for a few cars further down the road. I don't mind the extra distance if it's on a bike.

Any way, enough of my ramblings (excuse the pun). Thanks for the report and the photographs. Maybe I'll bump into you on the hills sometime - hopefully not due to you heading downhill at great speed on a girly bike with smooth tyres.
:lol:

Hi yorjick I think you will struggle on bike between the two tops unless you like torture. I have just posted a report of a fairly quick way to summit on bike which you could combine with a walk between tops. Ive no idea if you have already done these hills recently or if you will see this message as im new to this website :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland