walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mheadhonach and two close neighbours from Glen Tilt

Beinn Mheadhonach and two close neighbours from Glen Tilt

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Càrn a' Chlamain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 9.7 hours

Distance: 44 km

Ascent: 1750m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well for once the weather forecast was absolutely correct…….other than being about 6 hours adrift:
- the 4am rain arrived at about 10am
- the wind didn’t get up until the afternoon so the midges were out en masse
- no wind meant the clag stayed down
On the plus side though, it was a lovely drive back to Glasgow in the sun……..until coming to a standstill on the M90 because a section had been closed for roadworks. :shock:

Blair Atholl 20aug2011 active log converted to route, reduced to 500 waypoints.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Only three other vehicles in the Old Bridge of Tilt car park when I set off early on the bike. Many of the early photos are rather grainy as I was having to use 800 and 1600 ASA settings due to the low light levels.

Cycled up the main track to the bridge at Marble Lodge where I locked the bike to a tree close to the river. This bit always seems to take longer than expected and reduces the time saved versus walking but I think it was worth it. :?

The plan was to go clockwise first to Beinn Dearg, then Beinn Mheadonach and finally on to Carn a’ Chlamain. I then set off on the track which runs north of the river heading west for the old bridge at NN888712.

I had then intended to go NW via Elrig then over Beinn a’ Chait and on to Beinn Dearg. However, with low cloud and clag I couldn’t see the tops and decided to take the easier but slightly longer option and head for the track up to Beinn Dearg beside the Allt Slanaidh.

Had to pass through some tall ferns and deep heather – deer on the skyline

but it wasn’t that bad and I was soon on the main track. Picked up one tick but managed to remove it before it got its teeth in me.

Easy walk up the track but then had to stop for waterproofs as the cloud came down and the rain started – this wasn’t in the forecast.

Straightforward walk from here up the main track until it meets the other track beside the Allt Sheicheachan. It then narrows and winds its way up the steeper hillside before levelling off.

Not much to see at all in the clag but followed the track to the summit having to go through some rocky parts on the way.

Couldn’t see anything in the clag at the summit – waited a bit but it wasn’t going to clear.

I was hoping to lose as little height as possible so headed off northwards along Beinn Dearg’s top, dropped down steeply through some rocky sections before turning more abruptly SE. I was aiming for the bealach between Carn a’ Chiaraidh and Beinn Mheadhonach but couldn’t take a straight line due to having to negotiate the many peat hags and bogs on the way.

View from further up the hill side

Walked up the summit of Beinn Mheadhonach and found a wee cairn but could see another one further south. The odd thing was that the more southerly point looked higher so I walked down to it as well.

Took some photos

then headed back up to the summit as per the OS map. Walked over to yet another wee cairn on the way. Headed back north for a short way. The clag was lifting occasionally at this point and the wind had now got up. It meant that I could see Carn a’ Chlamain and my planned route up between Aonach na Cloiche Moire and Braigh nan Creagan Breac. It also meant that I could see the peat hags lower down and could plan a way through them.

Dropped down fairly steeply on grassy slopes and found some stones to help me cross the Allt Mhairc.

Then steeply eastwards up the hillside. Weather improving looking back from where I’d come and further round.

When the ground levelled off at the top I could see Carn a’ Chlamain with not much ascent remaining.

I tried to stay fairly high at this point to avoid the worst of the peat hags and headed round to pick the track to the summit. Starting to get views of the Cairngorms to the north.

Stayed on the track up to the stony summit.

Still hadn’t seen anyone else at all and was a bit surprised at this. :o Very windy at this point but at least the sun was appearing more frequently.

With the improving weather to views were opening up round to Carn Liath, Beinn a’ Ghlo, Glen Ey and the Cairngorms.

From there I just followed the main track back down to Glen Tilt

Looking back to Carn a’ Chlamain

only coming off it to take the steep narrower track for the last wee bit to Glen Tilt.

Met one walker on this section and some mountain bikers in the Glen itself.

Walked back to the bike and then had a great cycle back to the car park – had to get the tick tweezers out to remove two from my right leg. OK, the weather wasn’t as good as forecast in the morning but it was nice loop round the hills, enjoyable cycle in the Glen which is lovely and I got home in time for dinner (despite the hold up and diversion on the M90). :D

Note:
Approx distance: Bike 14km, Walk 30km
Approx ascent: 1,750m is an estimate – downloading the gpx to WH/TheHug suggests over 2,000m which doesn’t seem correct
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Beinn Mheadhonach and two close neighbours from Glen Tilt

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Another big day rockhopper,2 more in the bag plus a corbett very impressive.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Nice walk/cycle :) . I've had my eye on a Beinn Dearg and Beinn Mheadhonach combination for a while, but never seem to get round to it. Just had an idea for an overnighter in the area for this weekend, but I doubt my wife will let me :lol:

I've noticed the mapping software seems to overestimate on long routes with lots of flattish tracks (particuarly along the edge of a slope). I think it's just because the tracks are shown wider than they are in reality, and it's easy for the GPS track to end up cutting across higher bits of land without having to deviate much from the route.
Last edited by malky_c on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Good stuff as always Rockhopper. You trying to catch me on the Corbetts now too???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your summit shots there are all very different to when I did this lot.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Thats a big round there Rockhopper, i did Chlamain & Mheadhonach together and found it a big day.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Jabber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 pm

That shot of the deer is awesome. Is that just before you were stampeded lol :)
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby jonny616 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Rockhopper

44k in under 10 hours OMG, then i read the line that said when you got your bike out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great report & pic's unfortunatly i will not be doing the same route any time soon as i don't ride a bike, unless someone gives me a backie :lol:

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby kevsbald » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Jeezo,

that is some effort. I'll be going in over Mheadhonach to kip in the Tarf (the bothy not the river) before bagging the 2 Munro across the watter.
I fancy a Winter expo.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm

cheers all :D

malky_c wrote:I've noticed the mapping software seems to overestimate on long routes with lots of flattish tracks (particuarly along the edge of a slope). I think it's just because the tracks are shown wider than they are in reality, and it's easy for the GPS track to end up cutting across higher bits of land without having to deviate much from the route.
Certainly makes sense malky - I discovered that simplifying the route to 500 waypoints for the WH site took it to over 2,200m :shock: which is most definitely not right but that probably meant that it then cuts across even more contours.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Bike or no bike, a long day. Cheers 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Beinn Mheadhonach and two close neighbours from Glen Til

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Excellent stuff! As I desperately search for close to home Munros I've been trying to convince the other half that Beinn Dearg and Carn a'Chlamain can be combined without too much stress. The inclusion of Beinn Mheadhonach makes perfect sense too.

Might be pushing it with winter sunlight hours but if he'll finally swallow my line of 'start early and make use of a head-torches' this would definitely be doable.

Nice one :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland