walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brecon Beacons

Brecon Beacons

Postby petem56 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cribyn, Pen y Fan, Waun Rydd

Date walked: 22/08/2011

Time taken: 7.4

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 1246m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a 2hour drive arrived at Pont ar Daf carpark just south of the Storey Arms about 10.15, Icecream man just setting up as we Started the Walk, (Bet he will be gone when we get back) :( .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather was still quite cool as we set off East, crossed the river and started on the long well made path up to Bwlch Duwynt, after 10 mins we stopped to take off our light fleeces, (Did I say it was still cool?) with no breeze we had soon warmed up.
Brecon 065 copy.jpg
The Path to Bwlch Duwynt
We soon arived at Bwlch Duwynt red faced and dripping. (Did I really say it was still cool?) 8). After a quick breather we set of up to Corn Du for our first proper look at what was to come.
Brecon 066 copy.jpg
Corn Du
Brecon 070 copy.jpg
View from Corn Du

From Corn Du We had a good view of Pen y Fan, Cribyn, Fan y Big and Waun Rydd.From the top we set again eastwards towards the first Hewitt of the day "Pen y Fan" on a steep well made path, soon arriving on the top.
Brecon 071 copy.jpg
Me on Pen y Fan
From the top we headed Souteast towards Cribyn and our first lunch stop of the day and better views of whats ahead.
Brecon 075 copy.jpg
Cribyn
Brecon 073 copy.jpg
Fan y Big and Waun Rydd
After a bite to eat we set off south along the ridge to the pass at SO 031 205 before accending the zig zag path to Fan y Big. From the top We headed off south on what I thought was the best part of the route. a 4K stroll around the escarpment to the summit of Waun Rydd.
Brecon 078 copy.jpg
Angie on Waun Rydd
The summit is not as interesting as the other 3 but the walk to it was great(less people). From the summit we returned to a col at SO 057 205 for our second lunch in total solitude.Total time taken so far was 5 Hours.
Brecon 077 copy.jpg
Looking back to Corn Du, Pen y Fan, Cribyn and Fan y Big
For the return journey we retaced our route back to a col @ SO 037 198 then took the left hand path which takes you back to the pass @ SO 031 205. From here there is another path again on the left which skirts around Cribyn to the col between Cribyn and Pen y Fan.
Brecon 079 copy.jpg
Nuadd Reservoir
You cannot avoid most of the climb back up Pen y Fan but about 100mtrs from the top is a small cairn marking a track that leads left to join up with the Corn Du skirting path back to Bwlch Duwynt. from there it was a gentle walk back to the car park.

Was the icecream man still there????

Damn right he was :D
Attachments
Brecon 080 copy.jpg
petem56
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:67   

Re: Brecon Beacons

Postby ndhudson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice jaunt! Wish there was an ice cream man at the end of all my walks! ;)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby webby2166 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Lovely pictures, I was on holliday in Wales and wanted to walk up theese hills but ran out of time :( Must book another holliday.
webby2166
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:12   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:14   

Postby petem56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Well worth another visit, maybe next time could do it under winter conditions!!!

webby2166 wrote:Lovely pictures, I was on holliday in Wales and wanted to walk up theese hills but ran out of time :( Must book another holliday.
petem56
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:67   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland