walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THREE PEAKS CHARITY CHALLENGE - PRESENTATION OF CHEQUE

THREE PEAKS CHARITY CHALLENGE - PRESENTATION OF CHEQUE

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Pen-y-ghent, Whernside

Date walked: 08/06/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A small addition to this walk is a few photo's when we presented the cheque to the Donna Louise Trust (http://WWW.DONNALOUISETRUST.ORG), the actual final sum was £2087 which was worth the hard work of the 12 hour walk. An interesting statistic from the representative was that the money from the government only accounted for 44 days a year leaving a very big hole to fill, our total will help towards making the childrens final days more comfortable.
IMG_2185.jpg
Alan (Chilli) presents the cheque
IMG_2189.jpg
Group shot
IMG_2181.jpg
Lisa with yours truly
IMG_2195.jpg
Glenys, Tracy and Alice
IMG_2196.jpg
Sue, Bridie and Jayne

Hello everyone from a tired Sue :lol: this weekend was the time for our charity walk, D-Day the 6th June, proceeds were for the Donna Louise Trust which looks after children with terminal illnesses. We gathered on Friday night at "Base Camp" :D and already knew it was going to be wintery conditions for the upcoming trek. Excitement and the over zealous fellow campers meant a sleepless night, at least until Alan "woke" us at 4.00am :( We kitted up and had our breakfast prepared for us by the best chef ever, Chilli. It was 5.20am when we set off in appalling weather for our marathon

Route_Title.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2-new.jpg
A very wet start

We were camped not far from Pen-y-ghent and this was our first view of the summit.
S7300994.jpg
Ascent of Pen-y-ghent

The conditions were still bad as we conquered the hail to summit Pen-y-ghent at 6.50am.
S7301000.jpg
Our first summit

The whole area was sodden and it was like a winters day.
S7301001.jpg
Wet underfoot

It was 10.05 am as we reached the first rendezvous point, a chance to top up drinks or change clothes etc, sadly too wet to sit down so we were not long in moving on.
S7301010.jpg
Rendezvous 1

Although it was bad we couldn't miss a photo opportunity with the Viaduct.
S7301012.jpg
Ribblesdale Viaduct

On the right of the next photo was our zig-zag route onto the middle ridge which took us towards Whernside.
S7301013.jpg
Route to Whernside

It was a little clearer as we could see where we had come from, Pen-y-ghent.
S7301018.jpg
Our covered ground

We reached our second summit at 12.10pm, Whernside.
S7301023.jpg
Second summit, Whernside

We had been joined for this section by Commander Conroy's daughter, Tracy, and grandaughter, Alice.
S7301026.jpg
Three generations of Conroy
S7301027.jpg
My first time on Whernside

It was clearing a little and we could see our next objective, Ingleborough.
S7301041.jpg
Ingleborough

I was struggling a bit now as we reached Ingleborough, but quite a few were having their own little battles, bites, blisters, muscle aches etc. Still,this was our third summit at 3.42pm and nothing was going to stop us now :D
S7301045.jpg
Ingleborough summit

The last leg can only be described as tortuous but we rolled into camp just outside the 12 hours but time didn't matter, we had all done the 24 miles, even those who were stopping after two tops carried on. Alan was proud of us all and even though I was shattered we celebrated in true style. The whole weekend was fantastically organised by Alan and it went like clockwork, he had managed to get all group 2 to the end, group 1 had been quicker led by Seth but it was a group weekend and everyone really enjoyed it despite the weather.
3-new.jpg
Harold, Chilli & Seth

Finally is the Sunday morning team photo, sadly missing as she took it is Liz, Seth's wife who was excellent as a back-up member and along with Chilli kept us going...The gang is as follows.........Back Row.....Nick, Dave, Marcus,Paul, Lisa, Chris.............Middle Row...Bridie, Jayne, Jo, Sue, Harold, Melody............Front Row...Me, Seth, Chilli (Alan), Alan.........
1-new.jpg
Sunday morning gang

It was a fantastic weekend and a big achievement, I hope we have raised lots for the Donna Louise Trust and will let you know, everyone played a part, thanks to all the others for their help and especially we would all like to thank Alan, YOU PULLED US THROUGH 8) 8) 8)
ps The map can be centered to see all the route
Last edited by susanmyatt on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: THREE PEAKS CHARITY CHALLENGE

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Congrats Sue - great stuff for the whole group to complete it too. What a shame about the weather... you'll have to do it again in the sunshine now :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 pm

As I hit camp my first words were never again :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby GarryH » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Super effort Susan,well done to you and the gang!
GarryH

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks Garry, quite proud of the achievement, very busy, masses of people doing it, don't feel too bad now I have had some sleep :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 am

Enjoyed reading that report Sue, it sounds like you and the team had to ‘dig deep’ at times, especially given the weather you had to endure. Great effort non the less and I’m sure the charity will be more than grateful for the monies raised by you and your group.

Well done :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks very much Paul, going to the Lakes on saturday so I am resting up this week :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby ALANK » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm

well done wet people, you must have been very tired, and wet. good views, and a good time by all.
ALANK

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 am

Here are a few more pics including group 1 and 2 return to camp :(
DSC03968.jpg
Group 2 at rendezvous point
DSC03976.jpg
Group 2 after climbing Whernside at Rendezvous 2
DSC03980.jpg
Group 1 arrive back at camp
DSC03984.jpg
Group 2 arrive at camp
DSC03985.jpg
With Paul and Seth on arrival, look better than I felt
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby canisp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 am

Well done Sue and the gang, a magnificent effort in less than ideal conditions.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby mountain tortoise » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Well done Sue. :D :D :D
That ones beyond me I would still be out there, just too slow! Where oh where has summer gone that day when you where on Snowdon and I was on Moel Siabod seems but I distance memory!!!
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 am

I did it the other year for my favourite charity (as I'm from Yorkshire, I more or less had to anyway;-) - we had the opposite weather - the hottest day of the year - it was unbearable (and I like hot weather, although not necessarily for going up mountains). My question is: why on earth did you all set off at 0520?! You can see from the very early time you finished that you could have set off at a more normal time. We set off at 0820 which I found relatively civilised (would have been 0800 but half the group never turned up).
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying, we set off early for two reasons, we didn't know how long it wuld take and did't want it to be 9 or 10 at night, also the camp was so noisy, I only slept a few hours
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:49 am

Yeah I can understand that about the campsite! They can be really noisy can't they - time they had 'serious walkers areas' so you can get some sleep!!
mountain coward

Re: THREE PEAKS CHARITY CHALLENGE - PRESENTATION OF CHEQUE

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Hello, I have put some photos of the presentation for you to see, thanks Sue :D :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland