walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby Dirk Winter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 01/08/2008

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed Ben Lomond twice. The first time in 2002 the summit looked very much like on goth_angels picture (just a bit more crowded - even in that weather). In that year we walked back along the ascent route.

The second time was on the 27th of July 2006 - the last day of at least two weeks of sunshine (that's what some friends told us, who we met the same day - well, after having seen their pictures this seems to be true. For us it was the first full day of that year's holiday. So as usual we got some bad weather after that day. :roll: )
The views from the top were quite good, but still it was a bit cloudy. Later during our walk down the Ptarmigan Ridge which wasn't muddy at all (after two weeks of sunshine) the views were really excellent.

Hans, good luck in finding the stunningly beautiful young lady. Maybe the chances are not too bad as nearly everybody seems to know walkhighlands.co.uk. :wink:
Attachments
031_ArrocharAlps.jpg
Arrochar Alps viewed from the Ptarmigan Ridge
Dirk Winter

Munros:65   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby hanslenz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the sentiment Dirk, but I am not going to hold my breath :D

Glad that the conditions were better for you! With any luck I will have better wheather myself next time!
hanslenz

Munros:13   

Postby bio-man » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Thought I might whet your appetites with what Ben Lomond can look like!!!
Attachments
Ben Lomond from Duck Bay Marina2.jpg
Ben Lomond from Glen Loin, near Arrochar2.jpg
Ben Lomond 974m from Ben Reoch2.jpg
Ben Lomond Sunset2.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 am

Fabulous set of pictures! I actually really like Ben Lomond on a good day, even though it is so busy. The summit area is a dramatic surprise as a finale, with the craggy eastern corrie, whilst the views are really tremendous. I don't think there's a better hill for walkers venturing to their first Munro.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Dirk Winter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Yes, really fantastic pictures, bio-man! If I hadn't climbed it twice yet, I'd immediately start to plan a new trip to Scotland. :wink:
In fact, Ben Lomond was my first munro. I had tried Gleouraich before, but bad weather had made us turn around. My second munro was Ben More of Mull, maybe a bit unusual at this early stage.
Dirk Winter

Munros:65   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   

Postby hanslenz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:48 pm

These pictures are brilliant indeed! I will be in Scotland again during the second halft of September - lets see what I can do hill-walking wise. Will depend a lot on the weather!
hanslenz

Munros:13   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland