walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Homeless and up Stac Pollaidh

Homeless and up Stac Pollaidh

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 13/08/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 553m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D :D :D
After being so well fed at Mrs Macleod's B&B near Achiltibuie for the last three nights we were out the door! (we went for one night and stayed for two more). It was Saturday morning now, new guests were due so we bid farewell to our kind hosts and headed off uncertain of where would end up that night. But first we had a wonderful wee mountain to explore.....
1.JPG
This is us ascending the tourist path approaching the saddle from the north slope of Stac Pollaidh. This takes walkers around a well prepared route on the east side avoiding too much continued erosion on the south.
2.JPG
Crags on the east summits from the Saddle. You can just see the carpark far below....
3.JPG
We were hoping to reach the west summit that we knew would involve some fun and scrambling through the rocky ridges, cracks, gullies, ledges and pillars...(Many visitors only come to the saddle area which is wonderful in itself.)
4.JPG
We have already tried two ot three routes a bit like this, but decided to drop down again and look a bit further. However on this one, instead of scrambling all the way up we swung left and found a fine wee path leading to a southwards looking ledge.
5.JPG
Looking back towards the saddle area from what we hoped was our access to the west summit.
6.JPG
A typical gulley drop...one of many!
7.JPG
After find a route through a maze including an awkward step or two, we think momentarily 'there's the summit'?
8.JPG
A photo eastwards from this cairn with Cul Mor in the background behind the Stac Pollaidh ridge.
9.JPG
Now on our second top and realising that the west summit is definitely over there. Yes there is a visible path but getting to it is not easy. The rock 'tower' in the centre had us stopped in tracks just two minutes ago.
10.JPG
Having realised already that there is a bit of a climbing manouvre from the sandy 1.0 metre wide bealach at the base of the tower we erred on the side of caution, retreated and sat on our second top looking over. Despite seeing the path to the summit we did briefly decide that Stac Pollaidh had defeated us. Before leaving though we dropped down below the tower and checked out what could only be described as a horrible slimey crack. No no to this and I clambered again to the sandy bealach. I stood, studied, stepped right and found the holds....yeha, but should I? I climbed up 2 or 3 feet and found a big hand hold for both my arms that I knew might allow me a leftwards step to safe ground. Before committing though I dropped and looked again to check solidity of my chosen holds, looked at Valerie and then we were off....
11.JPG
Knowing that getting up is just part of it, I memorised carefully my moves for the return. I was very comfortable now and assisted Valerie to safe scrambling again.
12.JPG
Both of us on the top elated and happy. We made it a short stay though as retracing recent steps was very fresh in our memories. An amazing mountain summit...
13.JPG
Back at our wee sandy bealach a very familiar spot for us now! Valerie happy to be back down and experiencing a shakey leg moment. It was great practice for Am Basteir in the Cuillin where we were 2 days later.
14.JPG
15.JPG
Back on the Stac Pollaidh ridge retreat.....
16.JPG
Loch Lurgainn below.
17.JPG
The gap in the rocks on our chosen access ledge from the saddle. Always good to have remembered key points along the way. Although to honest there are multiple routes from saddle to the west summit.
18.JPG
Back at our main access gulley...
19.JPG
Not all the paths are rocky and slippy....
20.JPG
Rocks!
21.JPG
Back to the saddle.
22.JPG
Suilven and Cul Mor viewed across Inverpolly National Nature Reserve.
23.JPG
Where we've been!
Stac Pollaidh did not let us down, but it deserves huge respect and care! :D :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Bod on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Homeless and up Stac Pollaidh

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Hurry up Bod, I want to see you and Valerie at the top of that rocky beast!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 pm

I am back on task now, sorry Polly had to pop out for milk....hehehe
pollyh33 wrote:Hurry up Bod, I want to see you and Valerie at the top of that rocky beast!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm

It's a cracking half day out this hill :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:55 am

Stac Pollaidh - the best ever playground for adults :D :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am

Wowsers! Definitely worth waiting for! Well done you two. Bet you're glad you had a dry clear day for this :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Excellent report Bod. Great descriptions of the scrambles and great pictures. Nice :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Good one bod :thumbup: Just goes to show that there are plenty grahams/corbetts which are more challenging and trickier to climb than many munros and this is one of them. I really must try to climb more of them :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 am

Brilliant Bod, love this wee hill, love the photos and can't wait to climb it. You maybe should have took your rope for this one.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ndhudson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Really enjoyed this one, Bod! Way to not let it get the best of you!!! :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Great report Bod, well done - really looks like an enjoyable wander with some beautiful views to compliment the fun, excellent :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Redrock » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:54 pm

I love your blow by blow account of the ascent, Bod! And plenty of excellent scrambling! :D How do you manage to keep taking the pictures when I'd just be thinking about where next to hang on! :lol: That's a fine wee mountain indeed - I'll need to visit it sometime! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alastair S » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 am

Super report there Bod :thumbup:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jonny616 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Great report Bod. I was willing you to find away as i was reading it.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Top drawer Bod. Well done to you and to Valerie too! Seriously rugged looking environment that! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland