walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian

Bidean nam Bian

Postby darren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 19/08/2011

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Bidean nam Bian
by darren on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Well i got the circuit done. I,ll keep my report short, better description,s of walk and photos also of this walk on other reports(my camera ran out of juice on top of BNB). Walked up via Coire nan Lochan to small lochan area below Stob Coire nan Lochan. The cliffs here are stunning a very beautiful place to relax with a cup of tea and look down towards carpark on A82. We decided to walk left onto Stob Coire Nan Lochan shoulder. I was a wee bit wary of this route with the small bit of scrambling involved but i did enjoy it. Once on summit of Stob C. N. L. the walk to summit of BNB is quite simple, good fun navigating through rocky shoulder but no scrambling or any exposure. The views from top are quite stunning we were rewarded with great views all the way out to sea. The walk down to foot of Stob Coire Sgreamhach is simple with great views back the way you have walked up. Some great sheer drops here also to look down. The walk up to 2nd Munro SCS and back down to foot of hill takes about 30 minutes and really quite simple but watch your steps plenty of loose rocks to break angles. The long descent into lost Valley is simple but take your time do not rush down or you will do your self a serious injury the loose scree and boulders into Lost Valley is horrendous on your knees and feet i had big blisters on each big toe. Once into Valley great place to dip feet into burn to soothe them. A fantastic walk with great company and weather well worth the effort. Stay safe cheers.
Attachments
DSC00138.JPG
great views
DSC00142.JPG
the way up from car park
DSC00134.JPG
on shoulder of stob coire nan lochan
DSC00145.JPG
BNB summit
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice one Darren,
Superb area to walk. I still have these to do amongst many others. Great couple of photos. :D
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Great report Darren. Passed BNB on Tuesday and it looked stunning but your photos show that its even better from the top!!! Well done :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jabber » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Loved this hill. I could have spent days at the peak the views all round are tremendous. Going to drag the posse from work up there soon. Agree about the descent into the Lost Valley it can be very treacherous.
8)
Rob.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland