walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Tuirc, Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise

Carn an Tuirc, Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise

Postby neilfowlie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 am

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 05/06/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17.8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we arrived at the car park I couldn't help but think what a difference to the weather. I had been here exactly 7 days ago to do this walk but as I was parking up the reverse gear suddenly went from my car. Not knowing how severely damaged the car was and the fact that the rain was coming down horizontally I decided it best to make sure I could get home first before the walk. This time around Andrea had join me and the weather was perfect, high cloud clover with a slight breeze. We parked the car at the long, gravel lay-by next to the Sean Spittal Bridge and started to head up the path that runs parallel with Allt a' Gharbh-choire.
CIMG3966.JPG
And so it begins...

CIMG3969.JPG
First view of Carn a' Tuirc

CIMG3984.JPG
Looking over towards the Cairnwell Three

CIMG3991.JPG
Andrea and Carn Dubh behind

There were a few fellow walkers making the same climb but about 2kms into the walk at the foot of Carn an Tuirc the path seemed to fade into several fainter paths. We took the more direct route where others seemed to be either side of us. The scree towards the top wasn't bad to negotiate over with a couple of stops to admire the views behind (and to catch our breath). After a cople of hours walking we had reached our first Munro of the day.
CIMG3994.JPG
The carins at Carn a' Tuirc, 1019mtrs

CIMG4001.JPG
Cairn of Claise from Carn a' Tuirc

Our next target was Tom Buidhe. The scree and boulders soon faded out to an almost pathless grass like plateau as we started to head to Tom Buidhe. The idea was to walk around the side of Cairn of Claise and then walk due east to our second Munro of the day. We picked up a path that almost follows the old bouldary fence heading towards Tom Buidhe. It really didn't feel like we had conquered a Munro once we had reached the small cairn at the top.
CIMG4006.JPG
Grass like plateau with Tolmount to the left

CIMG4011.JPG
Tom Buidhe ahead

CIMG4019.JPG
The path to Tom Buidhe

CIMG4020.JPG
Fellow walkers on Tolmount

CIMG4030.JPG
Tom Buidhe, 957mtrs

After lunch at the cairn it was time to head to Cairn of Claise. Following the same path back down off Tom Buidhe, we headed west. The 150mtr ascent to Cairn of Claise from Ca Whims didn't seem to take long at all and with the bigger than normal cairn in sight this was our last Munro of the day to complete.
CIMG4031.JPG
Looking back towards Cairn of Claise from Tom Buidhe

CIMG4037.JPG
Almost there

CIMG4039.JPG
Cairn of Claise, 1064mtrs

CIMG4044.JPG
Looking over towards the Glenshee Ski Centre

We stopped at Cairn of Claise for about 15 minutes just taking in the sights. Glas Maol could be seen about 3kms south-west from where we were and temping as it was it was time to head back to the car. Heading in the direction of Glas Maol we set off for the final time. We walked round Garbh-choire and headed towards Sron na Gaoithe. Although starting to tire it was a quick hike up to the cairn at Sron na Gaoithe.
"The car looks so small from up here" I remember saying to Andrea.
CIMG4048.JPG
Glas Maol in the distance

CIMG4051.JPG
Looking back...

CIMG4054.JPG
Allt a' Gharbh-choire

CIMG4060.JPG
Carn a' Tuirc to the right

CIMG4066.JPG
The path to Sron na Gaoithe

CIMG4070.JPG
So close to the car but yet so far.....

CIMG4076.JPG
The old bridge crossing Cairnwell Burn

The hike down wasn't the easiest though as there was no real path to follow but with some careful steps and a couple of near slips we made it back to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Carn an Tuirc, Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 am

:D Yup - tend to agree with you...apart from the initial climb up Carn an Tuirc, you hardly feel you're climbing at all then you fund yourself at the top. Nearly made the mistake of asking why you left off Tolmount until I saw that you'd climbed it previously by a somewhat harder route 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:15 am

Well detailed report Neil. Is it really as easy as it looks???? No big sweaty faces to be seen in your photos :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby neilfowlie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:18 pm

rockhopper wrote: Nearly made the mistake of asking why you left off Tolmount until I saw that you'd climbed it previously by a somewhat harder route 8)

Yeah, climbed Tolmount a few weeks earlier from Glen Doll. It was a fair trek but really wanted to walk up Jock's Road and it seemed fitting to get a Munro in. Was going to do Tom Buidhe that day as well but my mate was struggling a wee bit. Did you see the hut on the side of Carn an Tuirc?? Tried looking out for it but must of passed it by... :?

pollyh33 wrote:Well detailed report Neil. Is it really as easy as it looks???? No big sweaty faces to be seen in your photos :D

Thanks Polly. It was a good day out. I'd say it was fairly easy with what rockhopper says "apart from the initial climb up Carn an Tuirc". I must add there were a couple of sweaty faces after the climb up Carn an Tuirc :lol:
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland