walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 10/06/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 18 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the Inveruglas car park, the walk up the tarmac track towards Coiregrogain was very pleasant, and it was not raining! Normally I’m not a huge fan of walking on tarmac in walking boots. I find it a bit hard on the feet, especially when the feet have become used to soft, peaty ground. Not having to watch my step now, I could stare at Ben Vane and look on the map to locate its characteristics, without the risk of disappearing in a peat bog, tripping over loose stones or knocking my toes on the rock. Just behind me there were three other walkers.

1 Ben Vane from road to Coiregrogain.JPG
Hm, looks a bit rough

The bit towards and after the first ‘hump’ was very boggy, however I made good progress. Over the years (on walks through the Pennines and Northwest Scotland) I have become quite good at reading bog!
Once on the real ascent it started drizzling. The way up with the huge crags ahead looked steep and daunting. But I told myself that I only would have to deal with that the moment I arrived there. It was still far ahead.

2 On the way up to Ben Vane.JPG
Oh dear!

I looked down and saw that the other three walkers were making their way up the first hump. When I looked back next, they were making their way down again to return to Coiregrogain ( I assume)! And a bit further to my left, suddenly a walker had appeared out of nothing! He must have ran up, because I didn’t see him when I started off.

3 Looking down when going up Ben Vane.JPG

6 On the way up Ben Vane.JPG
Crags, crags and more crags

By now the real work had begun (and the rain too). It was steep, it was rocky, it was craggy, but somehow there was always a way through and up. Only at one point I had to stop and think how to tackle the next move: a high step at shoulder height. The alternative would have been up along a huge wet rock slab at quite a steep angle without any proper ridges to get your boots stuck in, and I didn’t fancy that at all.
I managed to scramble up and mused that it would be ‘interesting’ going down the same way. From then it was relatively easy going to the summit. It had stopped raining and the views from the summit were good.

9 Beinn Narnain from Ben Vane summit.JPG

15 Loch Sloy from Ben Vane.JPG

The other walker was going on to Ben Ime and Beinn Narnain. Ben Vorlich, my next target for the day, looked really close.

13 View towards Ben Vorlich.JPG
Almost touching it!

On the way down I managed to avoid the high step, but of course was now faced with the huge-wet-rock-slab-at-quite-a-steep-angle. It wasn’t too bad actually, sitting and gently shuffling down on my backside.
I had decided to climb up Ben Vorlich from the road leading to the Loch Sloy dam, as walking most of the way back and then going via Ben Vorlich’s south ridge just seemed demoralising. According to some walk reports it is not that obvious where the path leaves the road. I had the grid reference for the path and simply counted the electricity pylons in between Coiregrogain and where I had marked the path on the map. This way I knew when to start looking properly.

25 Start of path up Ben Vorlich.JPG

The way up was steep and endless but without any difficulties. The first third of the path is quite wet in places and it sometimes disappears in the bog. After that the path becomes quite good. But it is a long climb.

16 Looking down from side of Ben Vorlich.JPG

With the sun out now it was getting hot. After what seemed like ages I reached the summit ridge and half an hour later I was on the summit. There I met a couple who had walked up from Ardlui. That must have been a massive walk! The views from the summit were absolutely stunning.

17 Ben Vorlich summit.JPG

18 View north from Ben Vorlich.JPG
Walkers making their way back to Ardlui

19 View towards Ben Vorlich trig point.JPG
That's Ben Lomond in the distance!

20 A' Chrois from Ben Vorlich 1.JPG

It was a shame to have to turn back, but I had a long and hard way down ahead of me.

24 The long way down from Ben Vorlich 2.JPG

Back at Inveruglas I was really tired. It had been a long and wonderful day.
Last edited by Paula Hubens on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paula Hubens

Re: Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Postby Paul_Antonia » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Respect! That looks like a lot of climbing and descending in one day. We're looking at doing these hills later this summer but maybe not both together like you did.
Great pics and a good report.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks Paul and Antonia! Yes, these are steep hills, but if you take it easy it is very much do-able.
Paula Hubens

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:58 am

Ben Vane knocked the stuffing out of me and I wouldn't have dreamed of going up Ben Vorlich right away. Thats a great effort and I hope when I do eventually attempt Ben Vorlich that I find the path as easily as you did.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Epic stuff again Paula! Not only do I admire your physical endurance but your mental strength is pretty awesome too!! Hope you've been treating yourself to lots of goodies at the end of each day :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby spiderman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I liked your photos,they really captured the flavour of these two hills. A circular walk is possible by traversing Ben Vorlich first to the north end of Loch Sloy and using the forest track to come round and ascend Beinn Dubh and go on to Ben Vane, Ben Dubh is like a second top of Ben Vane. This is a long walk, just over 11 miles and 5500ft of ascent. I have done this walk on a number of occasions.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby Paula Hubens » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Fudgie wrote:Ben Vane knocked the stuffing out of me and I wouldn't have dreamed of going up Ben Vorlich right away. Thats a great effort and I hope when I do eventually attempt Ben Vorlich that I find the path as easily as you did.

Thanks Fudgie! I was pretty tired afterwards and I'm sure it was the ascent and descent of Ben Vorlich that did it!
But is was all worth it because the views are great. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Paula Hubens

Postby spudz77 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Well done , two good walks but i take my hat off to you for completing them both on one day. I have recently done Ben Vane and Vorlich on seperate occasions and was knackered after just doing one. The views are stunning well worth the walks . Found both hills pretty steep but rewarding. Again well done. :D
spudz77
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1

Postby kev_russ » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Good effort there and some cracking pics too. I did Vorlich the day before from Ardlui and it was a trek and a half like. Need to get a report up for it.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Epic stuff again Paula! Not only do I admire your physical endurance but your mental strength is pretty awesome too!! Hope you've been treating yourself to lots of goodies at the end of each day :D

Thanks Polly, you're flattering me! I just call it stubborness...
I was eating for Scotland and got to get rid of that now!
Paula Hubens

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 pm

spiderman wrote:I liked your photos,they really captured the flavour of these two hills. A circular walk is possible by traversing Ben Vorlich first to the north end of Loch Sloy and using the forest track to come round and ascend Beinn Dubh and go on to Ben Vane, Ben Dubh is like a second top of Ben Vane. This is a long walk, just over 11 miles and 5500ft of ascent. I have done this walk on a number of occasions.

Thanks Spiderman! Your version sounds like quite a trek... I am looking forward to a report and some pictures!
Paula Hubens

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:25 pm

spudz77 wrote:Well done , two good walks but i take my hat off to you for completing them both on one day. I have recently done Ben Vane and Vorlich on seperate occasions and was knackered after just doing one. The views are stunning well worth the walks . Found both hills pretty steep but rewarding. Again well done. :D

Thanks Spudz! I read that you did Ben Vane on a warm day. It was my luck that it was cool and wet on that day for Ben Vane. The sun only came out when I was going up Ben Vorlich and that did make it harder!
Paula Hubens

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 pm

kev_russ wrote:Good effort there and some cracking pics too. I did Vorlich the day before from Ardlui and it was a trek and a half like. Need to get a report up for it.

Thanks Kev! Just read your report, sounds like a great trip!
Paula Hubens

Postby david.aa.howie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 pm

After reading this report I did the same route yesterday and I can confirm that it is very hard work! Descending 700m from Ben Vane before starting up Ben Vorlich really takes it out of your legs. The views down to Loch Sloy, over to Loch Lomond and back towards Ben Ime, Ben Narnain and The Cobbler were well worth it though. I slept though my alarm and started later than I intended and having to get back to Glasgow at a certain time meant I did the route in 5.5hrs but I can't say I would do it again! Thanks for the report - knowing what to expect definitely made the walk easier.
david.aa.howie
Munro compleatist

Munros:73   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Jeeeeeezo. Respect to the lady.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland