walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Will it be clag again or 3rd time lucky on Gable?

Will it be clag again or 3rd time lucky on Gable?

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brandreth, Fleetwith Pike, Great Gable, Green Gable, Grey Knotts

Hewitts included on this walk: Brandreth, Fleetwith Pike, Great Gable, Green Gable

Date walked: 23/08/2011

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here I go again left York with the hope that I would at last see the view into Wasdale from the top of Gable.

On the two previous visits all I saw was clag and heard a few voices in the mist. Arrived at Honistor car park around 10am and suprisingly there was not much activity. There was clear views in all directions...Ye Haa! :lol: Am I going to be lucky?

I had decided to first of all venture to the top of Fleetwith Pike and then with a clear view of Gable follow along Moses Trod along to the col between Gable and Kirk Fell and climb the steep face to the top and enjoy the 'Best view in England' with my flask of coffee and a sandwich. :
CIMG2903.JPG
Honister Crag
CIMG2906.JPG
Beautiful Buttermere from Fleetwith Pike
CIMG2909.JPG
Me enjoying the sunshine
CIMG2913.JPG
Butter Mere and the High Stile Range
CIMG2915.JPG
Gable..In Clag again!!! I dont believe it, well I am here now so off I go to enjoy the view in my mind.
CIMG2918.JPG
Windy Gap you can see some walkers near the top scrambling up the scree slope
CIMG2919.JPG
Sunny in Ennerdale
CIMG2920.JPG
Wasdale below the mist which can be just seen hovering above me like a Halo
CIMG2929.JPG
My first ever view from the top..The Halo is still above me tho...Stay There!!
CIMG2930.JPG
The Scafells in Clag!!
CIMG2932.JPG
Found a sheltered spot to have my sandwich enjoying the view towards the Langdales, Bowfell and Great End
CIMG2937.JPG
Gable Crag from green Gable and without the clag now
CIMG2948.JPG
The car park is way down there at Honistor. I was beginning to think I should have took the easire route back via the old tram way instead traversing Brandreth and Grey Knotts and facing this steep desent. I just knew it would cause havoc with my knees..no walking pole neither. Any hang gliders around?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Will it be clag again or 3rd time lucky on Gable?

Postby johnnyaztec » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Glad you finally got your view.Looked like a good walking day ,overcast not too hot.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Will it be clag again or 3rd time lucky on Gable?

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Gable seems to get this more than any other top, we've had the same problems but when it's clear wow 8)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland