walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui, Beinn a Chleibh

Ben Lui, Beinn a Chleibh

Postby blanchie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 28/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1243m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was hoping that Ben Lui might be on the other side of the low pressure system this weekend, but no such luck. The col and both Bens were covered in cloud, but I nevertheless persevered with the walk. The ascent of Ben Lui was in viz of about 30m, a great shame as you could sense the drama on the north side of the mountain on reaching the top. There seemed to be a major drop off the little ridge between the two cairns, but I'll have to get the views another time. On my descent of Beinn a Chleibh, the cloud base lifted and gave me a fleeting glimpse of the other top, which was pretty impressive, but less so than I guess from the other side.

As I re-entered the forestry, I started quietly flailing at the Forestry Commission who seemed to spend an awful lot of taxpayers money on brand new bridges (£30k a pop) and logging roads, but precious little on ditching or repairing the hill paths that they have obscured and wrecked with their plantations. There were several points where the path up beside the Fhionn Choire burn is just a mass of bog, held in place by tree roots etc, with a token fence stob lobbed in to tempt you in to it all. No thanks. Its a complete mess. They were loudly cursed twice as I inevitably lost my footing and hit the deck. And its not as if its been particularly wet up here recently. I feel a letter to the local MP coming on!

Despite the weather and the FC, a thoroughly enjoyable walk.

BEN LUI.JPG
Ben Lui I think!
Last edited by blanchie on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Re: Ben Lui, Beinn a Chleibh

Postby monty » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey Blanchie its always a **** when the weather turns against you. Good effort though. :D
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:49 am

Hi Blanchie,

I came a cropper in the forest too! Up to my behind in mud!!! It was a warm day so I was able to get washed in the river after. Wouldn't fancy it too much if it was chilly!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby blanchie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 am

Yes, the only thing that brightened that section was the thought of the river to wash all the shinola off my boots!
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 am

blanchie wrote:Yes, the only thing that brightened that section was the thought of the river to wash all the shinola off my boots!

Ah a fan of The Jerk! As long as you can tell the difference, you wont go far wrong!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 pm

done the same a day before you and had the same luck with the vis :-( You are so right with the path and wasted money on bridges and new fences!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby salinger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 pm

hello

was up a couple of weeks ago. its a fine walk. we got good weather for the most part. but there were two occasions i was up to my knees in the mud becuase i couldnt use the paths as they were so waterlogged. then i landed on my back on the way down as it rained while we were at the top. overall it was a good day.

thanks for sharing report.
salinger
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland