walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

by Paula Hubens » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 10/06/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 18 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Postby alfredo143 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:27 am

Yes Respect. Great photos and Info. Big hand to you! :clap: :clap:
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Paula Hubens » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm

david.aa.howie wrote:After reading this report I did the same route yesterday and I can confirm that it is very hard work! Descending 700m from Ben Vane before starting up Ben Vorlich really takes it out of your legs. The views down to Loch Sloy, over to Loch Lomond and back towards Ben Ime, Ben Narnain and The Cobbler were well worth it though. I slept though my alarm and started later than I intended and having to get back to Glasgow at a certain time meant I did the route in 5.5hrs but I can't say I would do it again! Thanks for the report - knowing what to expect definitely made the walk easier.

OMG David, you did that in 5.5 hours?!!! :shock: I thought my 9 hours was painful enough.
But you're right, the views make it all worthwile. Well done!
Paula Hubens

Postby Paula Hubens » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks Kev and Alfredo! But surely David deserves the respect, he did both hills in 5.5 hours!!
Paula Hubens

Postby csjoiner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am

Wow Paula thats some walk. Vorlich and Vane in the same day, I walked Vorlich from the power station a while ago and found the going tough. I walked ben vane from arrochar yesterday and to be honest this hill is the hardest walk ive done unrelenting steep slopes and bad under foot false summits scrambles couldnt imagine what it would be like in winter. Well done i take my hat off to you.
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1

Postby csjoiner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:
david.aa.howie wrote:After reading this report I did the same route yesterday and I can confirm that it is very hard work! Descending 700m from Ben Vane before starting up Ben Vorlich really takes it out of your legs. The views down to Loch Sloy, over to Loch Lomond and back towards Ben Ime, Ben Narnain and The Cobbler were well worth it though. I slept though my alarm and started later than I intended and having to get back to Glasgow at a certain time meant I did the route in 5.5hrs but I can't say I would do it again! Thanks for the report - knowing what to expect definitely made the walk easier.
Dream on!!!!

OMG David, you did that in 5.5 hours?!!! :shock: I thought my 9 hours was painful enough.
But you're right, the views make it all worthwile. Well done!
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1

Postby jamesjones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm

WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING BEN VORLICH AND BEN VANE ON SAME DAY BUT THINKING ABOUT MOUNTAIN BIKING ON THE CONCRETE TRACK BETWEEN. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE OR NOT.
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm

jamesjones wrote:WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING BEN VORLICH AND BEN VANE ON SAME DAY BUT THINKING ABOUT MOUNTAIN BIKING ON THE CONCRETE TRACK BETWEEN. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE OR NOT.

Thats how i did these two, it's hard work going up but you freewheel all the way back down in about 10mins so well worth the effort going up.I also used a touring bike as it's a tarmac road.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jamesjones » Sun May 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Considering doing both these next month with my 13 year old. He thinks as I do and were wondering whether its possible to cycle on the tarmac making the day shorter but for him more exciting. Has anybody does this before and are there any issues. Thanks
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland