walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Eastern Mamores

The Eastern Mamores

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 am

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 20/08/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1950m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A poor forecast - 20% chance of clear Munros according to MWIS- but having travelled 200 miles there was only one thing to do. Talking with other walkers in the car park at Mamore Lodge suggested everyone had the same inhibitions. Doing only two seemed the choice of some but it was four or none for me.
027.JPG
Looking down Loch leven

A dramatic start and an eerie light all around. The was sun up there somewhere.
037.JPG
Cloud getting higher over Sgurr Eilde Mor

There was a definite breaking of cloud taking place but the wind continued to be very strong and quite cold I have to say.
039.JPG
Summit of Sgurr Eilde Mor

The climb up the rough and rocky slopes of Sgurr Eilde Mor was - typical of the first Munro of the day - a nightmare. Cold, windy, out of breath. Why do I do this?
042.JPG
Looking down to Coire an lochan

Still hopeful of clearer weather the route descended quite sharply before the gentle climb towards Binnein Beag.
049.JPG
Binnein Beag totally clear

052.JPG
Looking back to Sgurr Eilde Mor

053.JPG
Binnein Mor

Everything all around was clearing beautifully. I seemed to get a burst of energy from somewhere.
055.JPG
Summit of Binnein beag

058.JPG
The ben refusing to show its true colours

My enthusiasm was at a high so it was onward to Binnein Mor. The suggested route was straight up the rocky face.

The route suggested was great fun. Some really good holds and quite airy but never too exposed even in the wind.
071.JPG
Binnein Mor easy rocks

077.JPG
View from Binnein Mor. Highest of the mamores.

078.JPG
The surprisingly small summit of Binnein Mor

The suggested route was to descend and call it a day at three Munros but the extra walking to Na Gruagaichean was minimal. I felt i could reach out and touch it.
083.JPG
Na Gruagaichean with the Aonach Eagach in the background

084.JPG
The Buachaille stunningly illuminated by late afternoon light

087.JPG
Nearing the end. Ring of Steall behind. Perhaps time for some work on that ludicrous hair!

090.JPG
Days end

A thoroughly memorable walk. I gave it ten out of ten. The views in all directions were breathtaking. The mamores sit in a position where the surrounding valleys and mountains provide an amphitheatre like nowhere else in the world. I would recommend this walk to anyone.
106.JPG
Drinks on the lawn with a view like this! What better way to end the day?
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Re: The Eastern Mamores

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:31 am

I got a similar day to what you got when i did these 2 years ago, it's a great round though and as i recall a lot of climbing and hard work.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Alan S » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Good report and pics 8)
Yipyipcoyote wrote:Talking with other walkers in the car park at Mamore Lodge

That was Me, Gammy leg and JB you were talking too as we did the same route as you :D
The weather certainly turned out good in the end after a poor start.
We sat at the top of Binnein beag watching you slog up the north face to Binnein mor to see which route you took :lol:
Yipyipcoyote wrote: thoroughly memorable walk. I gave it ten out of ten

Cant argue with that it certainly was a smashing day out, although the decent off Na Gruagaichean was murder

Cheers
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Good to see that route up Binnean Mor getting some use - definitely the best way :)

I've done these from Kinlochleven and Glen Nevis now. Not sure which approach I preferred actually.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Agree with the bad descent off Na Gruagaichean. My route was certainly scenic but I ended up going straight down a steep grassy slope among frogs and wet ground. On my back at least once. It didn't spoil a memorable day though.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Yipyipcoyote wrote:On my back at least once

Is that all, I easily bet that :lol: The F word got used a lot more than it usually does :D

malky_c wrote:Good to see that route up Binnean Mor getting some use - definitely the best way

Agree with that this was my favourite part of the day, Really glad we went for it
Hope you dont mind yipyipcoyote but ive added a couple of my pics of that route, Highly recomended :D
012.JPG
013.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Like the photos. One of the most inviting rocky outcrops I've been on. I was actually laughing to myself when I was on it!
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Well done Yiptipcoyote. Thats a good walk and in the end the weather wasn't too bad. Great photos of one of my favourite areas. :D
monty

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Nice report and some good pictures of these hills. Still have them to do, but want the good weather for them. I'm ever hopeful :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland