walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big Ben

Big Ben

Postby siobhann2606 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 09/07/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

4hours sleep and no appetite is not the best start to a Ben nevis day but that's how it goes down if its a charity day. I did it to raise money for Richard Parks 737 Challenge (raising £1million for Marie Curie Cancer Care) and that meant that no matter how crappy I felt, it was gonna be a great day because it was all about that

Anyway, I took along 2 of my friends just to keep me company and thought that we would have a great day out together but they had other ideas deciding that it wasnt much fun taking our time and decided to race on ahead. Thankfully its a popular place and I had plenty of other company. The Nev is a brilliant place to meet amazing people for sure and if it wasn't for them i would have been feeling pretty down and lonely at being left alone on a mountain (which I hear is actually something bad to do to your group if you are unqualified hint hint friends) Oh and yeah, i had the compass and the map so i was safe in the end when it got a tad foggy near the top.

In the end it took me 9 hours up and down thanks to going over on my ankle just before the final push and then falling in the waterfall... I guess that just my luck but I had a brilliant time and some pretty awesome laughs on the descent with some of the wonderful people I met and the waterfall was very refeshing :lol: This was just a gentler reminder of the Ben and I cant wait to be back, on its own terms in winter, ice climbing as it was meant to be climbed... bring on the gullies
ben path.JPG
DSCF8388.JPG

DSCF8395.JPG
just before I twisted my ankle

DSCF8400.JPG
as good a place for a rest as any I suppose

IMG-20110709-00396.jpg
and just like Scotland likes to prove... the weather can change whenever it wants

IMG-20110709-00398.jpg

IMG-20110709-00411.jpg
It clears on the way back down... overall a beautiful day
siobhann2606
Rock-climber

Munros:16   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Big Ben

Postby skuk007 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 am

Nice pictures Siobhann, glad you still enjoyed your day even though you didn't feel great.
You don't mention your "friends" again after they left you, here's hoping they waited for you at the top.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Big Ben

Postby siobhann2606 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:45 pm

No they didnt wait... they went back down and i did the top myself and just talked to everyone on the way down. Took my time and helped a man who was left alone by his friends down as he was struggling by keeping him company. I met up with them again after i got to the bottom. I didn make them wait quite some time though hehe
siobhann2606
Rock-climber

Munros:16   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland