walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie by the bus-full

Ben Chonzie by the bus-full

Postby ramblingsteve » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 28/08/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a while since my last report but I have been quite busy on the hills over the summer months (by my own standards).
This has been, in the main, due to my brother (BrianG81) deciding to raise some money for Yorkhill Children's Foundation.
This decision was made after my niece Erin (Brian's daughter) spent some considerable time in Yorkhill hospital after a near fatal accident at home. Amazingly, against all odds she has made a remarkable recovery. She is an inspiration to us all.
Anyway, I was unwittingly roped in to climbing 25 Munros in 18 weeks between May and September this year, but I must say I have taken great satisfaction from every single step taken over the course.

To celebrate coming to the end of our challenge, and to raise additional sponsorship, we invited family and friends to join us on 28th August and were overwhelmed with the response. We amassed 21 bodies and decided to take them all to Ben Chonzie. This proved to be a good choice for the varied levels of experience/ability in our group and I am pleased to say everyone (ages 10-60) made it to the summit and back to the bus within 6 hours.

DSCF4541.JPG
At the start

With Brian leading the way, I had the job of back marker for the day, it was quite strange to complete a Munro without feeling tested all day. It is quite amazing how the "hill-fitness" develops in such a short period of time. In May, after only 1 trip in the previous 7 months, I really struggled with our first Munro of the challenge - Meall Bhuidhe (Glen Lyon).

Right, back to Honzee... With the aid of the walkhighlands route description and maps - as always - this walk was very easy to navigate. The landrover track goes on and on at a constant comfortable incline. It was a great relief to many when we eventually left this and took to the feint path on the hillside, which was slightly boggy for the first 100m or so but easily avoided for those not wishing to get their boots dirty!

DSCF4547.JPG
Nice spot for lunch

Our group had split into 3 main packs and by the time the summit came into view, with approx 1.5km to go, we could see that the others were already there and some were on their way back down. We decided to cut a direct line across to the summit instead of following the fence posts. This flattish section at about 850m was quite soft underfoot but no trouble on this fine day for walking. Although, I wouldn't recommend it in poorer conditions, definitely stick to the fence posts.

Brian and a few others had waited for our wee pack at the summit but had to leave straight after congratulating everyone on their sterling efforts. The wind was biting and relentless and those poor souls had been there quite a while, not all fitting in the good sized shelter at once. We weren't for hanging around either so after a few photographs and hugs we started to cut the same route back to the bus.

DSCF4553.JPG
At the summit

DSCF4555.JPG

Two hours later we were all reunited and headed to the Comrie Hotel where we were treated to some fantastic hospitality by the new owners. Well done to everyone who took part, This was a first for the majority of our group, but it most certainly will not be the last for many. The bug has bitten... What a fantastic way to discover a new pleasure - Raising funds for the most worthy of causes.

DSCF4559.JPG
Back at the bus... Well done everyone!

Anyone wishing to make a difference to the children at Yorkhill, and their families, can find our justgiving fundraising page at: http://www.justgiving.com/Brian-Gibson2
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Chonzie by the bus-full

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Well done everyone, looks like you all had a great day and some new baggers in the making as well :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi
I might have been the person that took the group photo at the summit as I was out with friends on Sunday and as you say it was very windy and cold on the summit. Congrats on achieving the 25 Munros for a worthy cause.
Les
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Postby ramblingsteve » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Well done everyone, looks like you all had a great day and some new baggers in the making as well :D

Thanks Johnny, there have been some sore pins hobbling around the last few days but I hope it doesn't put anyone off.

Les Stuart wrote:Hi
I might have been the person that took the group photo at the summit
Les

Cheers Les, a fine photo it is too. I remember handing you a 2nd camera to juggle in the wind :D
Hope to return the favour some day.
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Postby jester » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 pm

A good hill for newcomers to walking, looks like you all enjoyed yourselves. Well done on raising money for Yorkhill as well. I was at a Help For Heroes fundraiser last week, it's sad that things like childrens wards and care for war veterans is so reliant on charitable contributions though.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby ramblingsteve » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 pm

jester wrote:it's sad that things like childrens wards and care for war veterans is so reliant on charitable contributions though.

It sure is, Jester... Having said that, it is a very worthwhile way to get people together, as you said... we all had a great day, and you don't mind giving a little bit back when so much has been done for you.
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Postby steven671 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:08 pm

congrats on doing this for the cause,i done the cruachan horse shoe for 2 scot`s earlier this year,well done,not enough of us are doing this type of thing for other`s
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland