walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 10 Mamores in a day - a walk for mental unstable ;-)

The 10 Mamores in a day - a walk for mental unstable ;-)

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Binnein Mòr, Mullach nan Coirean, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 15.5 hours

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the prospect of the royal wedding only excited me about the fact, that 2 bank holidays would give me a perfect long weekend, I was hoping for good weather. With no plan of which mountains I woudl want to climb, I spend the week prior looking at different mountains around Glencoe. One of my friends suggested that I could try the 10 Mamores in a day challenge. As I have heard about the Mamores, but not the challenge (does one has to be mad to even think about wanting to try that???) I looked at different reports to see if I could do it.
When Wednesday arrived and the weather looked promising, I also made my mind up to try the 10 Mamores in a solo walk...

I drove to Glen Etive on Thursday evening, put my tent up and spend a pretty sleepless night in the tent. After about 3h sleep my alarm went off at 4:45 am and the last thing I felt like doing was to get up, or
do any kind of walking...but I managed to get motivated to get up have a quick wash in the burn (sure way to wake up) and had a quick breakfast of cold porridge in the car. This was followed by leaving just the basics in the tent , packing my car and finally making my way to Glen Nevis.
I arrived at the car park at 6:30 (managed to get lost of the way) and after packing everything and getting rather excited I, managed to walk away without having gotten changed from trainers into my hiking boots, followed by another walk back,as I left my walking poles in the car as well...so much for getting up early with only 3h of sleep! I do not function well at this time!
DSCF4471.jpg

Having printed out some instructions to find my way, I headed up the first Munro and by the time I reached the top I was finally awake. As I didnt really looked at the names of the Munros I was about to climb I
numbered them (for easiness) After Munr number 3, I started to feel my knees getting sore (if anyone reading this and found a solution for sore knees from coming down hills, please let me know!) I remember thinking ...OMG
that will be fun, as there are 7 more to go to.
DSCF4479.jpg

DSCF4487.jpg

I wont bore you with a description of every single hill, simply because I didnt really pay that much attention. All I seemed to do was go up one hill, spot the next and head up that one. It was actually one of the most unpleasant experience I have done so far! I guess I will never be a simple Munro bagger...I love being up hills to much and dont like rushing to the next one (without having a rest and enjoy the view) to tick the boxes in my book. Dont get me wrong, I have tried walking up hills fast to see how quick it can be done, but doing one after the other just seemed rather pointless for me at the time.
DSCF4492.jpg

DSCF4489.jpg

Looking back I have to say that my favorite 2 hills on that route were An Gearanach and Stob Coire a'Chalm.
DSCF4504.jpg

DSCF4493.jpg

12h after leaving the car I was on top of Binnein Mor. By that time I was hungry, tired , cold and just realized that at the end of April I would have not that much daylight left. Looking towards the 2 remaining hills, I realized that it would take quite some time to walk up them, so I made up my mind to be happy with my achievement climbing 8 Munros in a day and would be heading back to the car. I walked straight down Binnein Mor and what looked like an easy path from the top, proved endless burn crossings over a pretty bad terrain. When I finally reached the path I was more than happy, but I didnt realized how long it would take me to walk back to the car. Every step was sore, my legs were burning and it was getting dark, I finally reached the first car park (wishing I would have left my car there) and on the way to the second car park where I parked my car, a man with his 2 kids stopped and asked me if I wanted a lift. Even though it was only a another mile to go I was more than happy to accept the lift and finally was back at my car at 21:30!
DSCF4508.jpg

DSCF4507.jpg

Having to drive back all the way to Glen Coe to sleep another night in a tent, was something I really didnt look forward to. It was hard not to simply stop and book a B&B at Fort William, but I managed to resist the urge and
made my way back to Glen Etive. At Glen Etive I came across another challenge...where on earth was my tent? By that time it was pitch black and camping away from the road, had the disadvantage that I simply could not see my tent
in the darkness. After driving around the road for about half an hour, I finally found my tent and I think I only managed to brush my teeth before I sank in a dreamless sleep for 10h.
DSCF4523.jpg

DSCF4527.jpg

During the next day I was mainly in pain :lol: lol. Luckily the weather was amazing, so I spend the day sunbathing outside my tent with the odd trip to my car getting food...Distance walked all day ...200m :lol:

Obviously Friday night left me with thoughts of...I will never climb a hill again and who can I blame for that, but by Saturday afternoon my spirits were back and reading though my books I decided to head up to Bidean nam Bian (report will follow) the next day.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The 10 Mamores in a day - a walk for mental unstable ;-)

Postby iainwatson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:01 pm

thats a long day and doing it solo too......well done :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:56 pm

many thanks! I would not rush back in doing it again...although still annyed I could not do the last 2! :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby monty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Well done on a long hard day. At least the weather was kind to you and you got some great photos. :D
monty

Postby kinley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

ML wrote:It was actually one of the most unpleasant experience I have done so far! I guess I will never be a simple Munro bagger...I love being up hills to much and dont like rushing to the next one (without having a rest and enjoy the view) to tick the boxes in my book.

Serves you right! ;)

Thats like getting given a large box of quality chocolates and then cramming them all in your gob in a sitting. ;)

Still looks a nice day - and unlike the chocs - you can go back and savour them next time. :lol:
kinley

Postby ramblingsteve » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I've been planning a jaunt round the Ring of Steall for some time but have been waiting for the perfect weather... This is tempting!
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rocket-ron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:32 pm

well done you what a mega walk
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Now, that's a walk...... :D Well done on achieving the 8! Some feat that :D You'll enjoy the final 2 when you return. Love this area and these hills. Still have the eastern mamores to do in order to finish off the group, but have been waiting for the perfect weather for it. Could be a long wait, given the weather we had this year :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

A great effort. Well done. It would interesting to know how far you walked. As for the sore knees on descent, its all to do with the strength of the thigh muscles and as you walk more they become stronger so the knees should benefit. Sounds great when you type it but maybe not so easy in practice. Keep walking. :D
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Postby grenfell88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Great report and pics :thumbup:

Im going to be attempting this in the summer. Looking forward to it

Chris
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby gymman47 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Well done and some great pics too ! :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Cracking ML...........I can't wait to do em now :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby alvason » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Excellent! Well done, I admire your effort and the sole adventure. You are made of tough stuff! And great pics!
alvason
Ambler

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Anyone who has done this round of ten in a day deserves a medal in my book …..ok, a pint then?

Reading your report has really whetted my appetite for bagging these ten in a one day outing this Summer….
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland