walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav 2...nah let's make it 3

Ben Starav 2...nah let's make it 3

Postby nzt2011 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 31/08/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Ascent: 1700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unfortunately one of the guys couldn't make it for this looooooong walk, so myself and my friend set off at 0830 with smiles on our faces, not knowing the bog that lay round the corner! A short while later and after dropping two of my bottles in the river (skillfully retrieved and just as well!) we hit the shoulder of Ben Starav and here comes the pain.....
Not had the pleasure of a 3 hour battering to the top of the first summit before, however after some fun scrambling in the clag (beginning to think my friend is cursed...) we finally made it to the top. Some excellent ridge walking and scrambling saw us drop a few hundred metres to the bealach. Decided to take on Beinn nan Aighenan on the same day as we were in the vicinity, and after the even glad i did...but it looked extremely daunting standing at the base! 45 mins suprisingly saw us to the top, and not hanging about too long, set off for some shelter and lunch break number 6!!! The third and last hill of the day Glas Bheinn Mhor was not too bad ,although by this time we were crawling at snail's pace. At last we "bagged" number 3 and getting quite late in the afternoon made our decent, via an alternative route to cut off some time. Probably took a good couple of hours to get back to the car once in the coire, wet socks flung off in favour of big thick fluffy ones, wet trousers off in favour of some comfy jogging bottoms, and a fresh clean, dry tshirt! Looking back from the car I realised why I do this....."I just climbed that monster today!"
100_0891.JPG
at the start from the car
100_0894.JPG
bridge at the start
100_0895.JPG
crossing the river
photo.JPG
crossing the river again to get the water bottles I dropped in!
100_0900.JPG
forestry circles....whooooooo! spooky
100_0901.JPG
why am i here?!?!?
100_0902.JPG
no live frog was used in this broadcast
100_0908.JPG
made it!
100_0911.JPG
some good ridge walking
100_0921.JPG
clag man strikes again
100_0927.JPG
the foot of Beinn nan Aighenan
100_0934.JPG
Half way up and the views we'd been waiting for
100_0939.JPG
munro number 20 in the bag!
100_0940.JPG
more like it!
100_0941.JPG
Back to Starav
100_0946.JPG
ridge along to Glas Bheinn Mhor
100_0950.JPG
#21 down...just my age
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland