walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ben challum

ben challum

Postby jmoran12 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 02/09/2011

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report. was up doing sgiath chuill and meall glas yesterday with my brother so my legs were stiff today
We stayed at bein glas farm so we could get a quick start this morning. Left about 09.30 and headed up to tyndrum to find kirkton farm the start of our walk.Eventually found the road in after going into strathfillan wigwams and realising kirkton was the farm 1km up the road towards crianlarich.parked car in layby opposite farm entrance and headed into kirkton farm
start.jpg
roadsign at farm entrance
road into farm.jpg
road into farm
kirkton farm.jpg
kirkton farm
.had seen other reviews and followed road to the left next to the sign with st fillan
st fillan.jpg
st fillan sign
.took path up by the graveyards
graveyard.jpg
graveyards
and headed across the level crossing
level crossing.jpg
level crossing
. followed path for about 50mtrs then headed up towards the deer fence line which was over to the right
fence to right.jpg
deer fence up to the right
.Folled the fence which runs almost to the summit
fence line.jpg
fence line
. You go over a couple of stiles along the fence line
stile.jpg
stile
high fenceline.jpg
fence line higher up
02092011334.jpg
view from challum
.The path was really boggy all the way up
first peak.jpg
first peak
.Once up to the top you can see the summit of challum which you get too by walking along a short ridge to the cairn.
view of summit.jpg
view of summit
walk on ridge.jpg
ridge walk
summit.jpg
me on the summit
summit jon.jpg
john on the summit
Headed back down the same way we came up .
jmoran12
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   

Re: ben challum

Postby Redrock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Well done on your first report! :D It's good to see Ben Challum again - and not too much mist! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby jmoran12 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks redrock . Was glad as well to get a clear day , had quite a few misty days in the last few weeks . :D
jmoran12
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:04 am

Nice on JM,
Looks like the weather was kind to you. I have heard this is a bog lower down but i done it from the North. Nice photos. :D
monty

Postby jmoran12 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Cheers monty was quite boggy along fenceline most of the way up . Was on ben chabair last week which was one massive bog right up to the small lochan . :o
jmoran12
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland