walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tower Ridge Ben Nevis

Tower Ridge Ben Nevis

Postby WESLEY ORVIS » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 02/08/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1550m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1000032.JPG
the North Face

After planning this one for over a year it was finally time for Tower Ridge, although i had done lots of Welsh and Lake District scrambles i thought this one was slightly out of my leaugue on my own, so I booked a guide.
I had already summited Ben Nevis three times via various other routes on other occasions namely via tourist path, Ledge Route(II) and North Gulley(II)) so i thought next time I would have to be something special to top all the others.
Me and Killer Kev set off from Kendal Friday morning about 11:00 a.m. for the long drive to Fort William, we arrived at the Glen Nevis campsite around 5:00 p.m.
P1000042.JPG
preparing at the CIC hut

The next morning we were up at 7:00 a.m. had the usual porridge for breakfast, Kev made sandwiches like he worked in Subway, fast and efficient and we met Ken our guide for the day at the reception for 8:30 a.m.
We parked at the North Face car park and made very short work of the walk up to the CIC hut (well me and Ken did but Kev struggled due to lack of mountain fitness and not enough days on the hill)
We made it to east gully and soloed up the the top of the gulley inbetween the Douglas Bouldder and Tower Ridge, this was fairley hairey and got our adrenaline going immediatley, the weather was great but as we arrived in the gap the wind picked up and i thought here up this is going to be interesting especially when we come to the infamous Tower gap, fortunatley the weaher stayed great all day and was the last i heard of the wind.
P1000056.JPG
the view from the gap above East Gulley

We geared up and Ken set off up the first pitch and onto the main ridge.
P1000059.JPG
Ken up the first pitch

We scrambled all the way up with no incident in less than three hours, Tower Gap was spectacular and all in all was one of my best mountain days ever.
P1000085.JPG
up the ridge we go

P1000097.JPG
the little tower

P1000109.JPG
a climbing pitch to get up

P1000110.JPG
the view

P1000154.JPG
Caern Dearg and the north face

Upon arrival at the summit the views opened up as far as the eye could see and we was met with admiration from the tourists on the summit who had watched us top out from the gap.
P1000186.JPG
the gap

We descended via Ledge Route back to the CIC hut and was back at the car for 5:30 p.m.
P1000241.JPG
me and Kev on the summit

P1000254.JPG
the view from the summit

Scotland is amazing and i always go back to my home and usual stomping ground the Lake District thinking, but trying not to, "it's great here but it ain't Scotland".
Thanks for reading and happy walking.
WESLEY ORVIS
Mountain Walker

Munros:46   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Tower Ridge Ben Nevis

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Good stuff, great report on an amazing route :)

Sounds like it's time you moved up here.....go on....
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Bod » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 am

Great to see some of the route close up.....well done too! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby monty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 am

Tremendous stuff. Weather was excellent and the photos are superb :D
monty

Postby WESLEY ORVIS » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks guys!!! Would love to make the move North of the border but my long term partner is a Kendalian and they don't move nowhere for nothing.
WESLEY ORVIS
Mountain Walker

Munros:46   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kw1980 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Superb report, Id love to give this a try one day. Hopefully get weather as good as you had. Well done!
kw1980
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland