walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, troll country.

Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, troll country.

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 03/09/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 903m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 9 30 am our party of three arrived at the car park of the Forrest Lodge estate. Jolly nice car park it is too, even has picnic benches for you to sit and change your boots while the midgie picks and nicks.

Weather was overcast, cloud was low, a little drizzle and light rain was the order of the day. Still the MWIS was hopeful of a lift of the cloud in the afternoon.

IMG_2512.JPG
Bit of a blurry wet start

Now lets show the rough guide route we took. As always do not use this for your GPS toys. I think you will see a slight off the standard route.....

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

You can clearly see we veered away past Forrest Lodge instead of taking the straight West route toward Fore Bush. Oops! First and only wrong path of the day really. Good to make an early error as after that we regularly checked our bearings.

Easily done in these forest paths as you lose reference points, trust your nose is going the right way, then you spot a Fire Truck and think hang on! This is not quite the right path.

IMG_2516.JPG
Not entirely convinced how "rapid" a response it would be...

From the map we could see where we were. The shape of the land open and clear. So we took the decision to cut across the open land toward roughly 536 870.

Okay maybe when I said first and only wrong path this perhaps may count as the second, But I promise after that it was fine!

On hindsight we may have been quicker walking back the forest paths. But intrepid explorers we were and went straight for the target!

Through fern, bracken, bog weed, boggy land, lumpy hilly clots of marshy grass, hidden rock underfoot. Some parts of this were not just up to our knees, or our thighs, or our chest, but about a foot above our heads in parts! A machete would have been handy but does not feature in the Swiss Army kit.

We managed through picking our way along tracks made by deer we presumed. Thankfully the gaiters and waterproofs were on. It was quite a hike over very rough lumpy ground.

IMG_2517.JPG
There are creatures in the ferns, no it was only some off track walkers.

Back onto the forest tracks we reset our bearings and now were on the path proper. No less muddy or wet than the foliage we had come through. We were also presented with some handy signs to reassure us walkers we were on the path to Corserine.

IMG_2520.JPG
Track leading out the forest toward the deer fence.

The signs do say deer fence. But when you actually emerge out the forest and see the fence, most deer would simply step over it. As did we and we were on our way up the hilly slopes.

The first push up onto the wide ridge well plateau really, is quite a steep path up. We were coming in and out of mist and cloud as the weather passed over us, only offering us glimpses of the fantastic views this walk offers.

IMG_2523.JPG
Snack time and just a peek at the views from the slopes.

We reached the top of Corserine at about ten minutes to one. Not too bad considering our adventurous detour.
The cloud was dipping over us and perhaps someone had already heard of us wandering off the beaten track and decided to help our progress by labelling the peaks for us.

IMG_2525.JPG
The cairn of Corserine. Clearly labelled.

IMG_2527.JPG
Gratuitous walker in the mist photo at the trig point.

Next targets were Millfire and Milldown. The cloud kept dropping and lifting. This presented those moments when looking ahead at a wall of grey suddenly gives way to the next rise and revealed that Millfire is indeed there in the mist.

IMG_2532.JPG
Millfire. What is going on? Clearly labelled also.

After the again clearly labelled Millfire it was onward toward Milldown.
This is quite a nice walk over these hills and fairly straightforward as you follow tracks. Probably a small ATV or quad track.

On the way we met the owners of these hills.

IMG_2535.JPG
Guardians of the Rhinns of Kells.

And the route from Milldown toward Meikle Millyea is marked by a long dry stane dyke. In some places its very square and even, in others it has aged a lot.

IMG_2536.JPG
Milldown.......... yes clearly labelled.

Next in line was Meikle Millyea. On route we pass the Lochans of Auchniebut. On a day when the views are hidden a little there is still a lot to look out for. We were treated to the goats clashing heads on the rocky sides of Milldown and then to a nice display of weeds.

IMG_2539.JPG
A nice display at the Lochans.

We reached Meikle Millyea and yes found that to be labelled too. The day was clearing up and fearing no more rain I shed the waterproofs as I had been cooking inside them most of the day. It was warm and with the ground boggy, wet, and slippery, in parts it was quite a trek.

We took in the two summits of Meikle Millyea then headed back homeward over the Meikle Lump.

IMG_2543.JPG
The cairn (labelled) of Meikle Millyea

IMG_2546.JPG
The southern point of Meikle Millyea looking to Loch Dee.

IMG_2548.JPG
Heading back down looking back to Corserine in low cloud.

The Meikle Lump is clad totally in gorgeous purple heather. I was hoping for a little sunshine to break to be able to capture its colour and show it off. But the best way is to go look. We reached the forest tracks again and headed back to the car park.

A great walk and a good day again. The markers on the peaks are to do with the Rhinns Of Kells Challenge which is a 17 mile route the web is telling me. I am not sure when this was on or if it is an annual event.

Finally.

On a tangent for those of you familiar with the movie, Trollhunter. You will know it is not a movie but a real life true documentary! It is not just in Norway where you can find the tell tale signs of Trolls.

We passed areas that look like quarries but where some Trolls have been seeking rocks to eat. We passed areas of forest damaged no doubt when Trolls have been captured. The area is covered with goats to feed and bait them.
The sign at the start of the walk warning people there after 8pm will be considered as missing.....

I suggest staying away from this area as the sun sets, there was clear evidence we were in Troll country...

IMG_2553.JPG
Clear evidence of Trolls

IMG_2554.JPG
Probably a Tusseladd fight caused this damage....

IMG_2518.JPG
Machinery used in the clearance and capture of Trolls....
Last edited by cheekykarma on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, troll country.

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Nice report, enjoyed it very much. Also, I want to see trollhunter, my mate Marty couldn't stop going on about when we were last in Skye.....where could I see it?
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby kmsharp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 am

I was walking just to the north of Corserine on Sunday (trip report to follow) and noticed the same labeling on Bow and Coran of Portmark, though not on Meaul or Cairnsgarroch. I wonder what they were for?

Keith.
kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Fionas:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby cheekykarma » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Bod - thanks Trollhunter was released several months ago and I ended up with it on a DVD courtesy of Norwegian chums. It went down so well they decided to launch it on the cinema this week I believe.

If you can please avoid any trailers or glimpses of the movie as I first watched it totally thinking there is no way they are going to pull this off. Very entertaining and how I see the signs on the landscape now is changed forever! Troll rocks, Troll tree damage, Troll markings, Troll Fences!

:)

Kmsharp - these are put out for the Rhinns of Kells Challenge Cup - I think a 17 mile cross country run I am guessing.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Really enjoyed this post, great pic of the loch weed - artistic indeed. Glad you showed us a Troll Catcher, I've always wondered what those things were for :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Another good walk with Cheekykarma, but he's a bit short on the distance, and the forest tracks on the way back seemed interminable (and rarely seemed to be going in the right direction). The goats were good value, but I was fairly sure the trolls were further west, Dungeon Hill seems a good place to look.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

Love the lochan-weed shot. V arty.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby cheekykarma » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm

thanks again tinto

and yeah I remember now our distance was more 20 something i think :) will rough edit that

and the lochan arty weeds were just amazing sitting there - not sure if heavy water flow or wind caused this
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland