walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great day on Bidean

Great day on Bidean

Postby pigeon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 04/09/2011

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great day this with Jim ,Ian and the bold Jake,started walking at about ten to eight following the steep path up to the lochans where we had a good pit stop,tomato soup all round(sorry jim for spilling it on yer mitts and giving you third degree burns :( )
001.JPG
view from car park
003.JPG
009.JPG
stob coire nan lochan revealing itself
010.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
best picnic spot ever
After deciding this was the best picnic spot ever we turned right under the cliff faces and headed up stob coire nan lochan
021.JPG
heading for stob coire nan lochan
At 1115 metres this is higher than most munro's i've done and it was a good clamber up the rocks with steep drops down in places
022.JPG
031.JPG
jim with ian catching up and anoch eagach in background
034.JPG
who placed that rock there?
036.JPG
mad rock formations
Got to the top of stob coire lochan and didn't hang around to long as the mist came in a bit so headed down the track and then up the rocks to bidean
043.JPG
climbing up to bidean
046.JPG
cheesy grin on bidean
047.JPG
BUDnean nam bam
Got to the top of bidean in good time(for us anyway),had a can of beer and a quick chat with a couple of guys who we would speak again to later,the tops were no quite clear up here but we could see glimpses of all the surrounding area,then headed on to the second munro,stob coire sgreamhach
050.JPG
down to the lost valley
The cloud was starting to clear a bit and we could see down to the lost valley ,over to the mamores and the bookles
051.JPG
mamores in the distance
058.JPG
jim waiting on the slow coaches on sgreamhach
054.JPG
steep route down
Also got our first look at the steep path down to the lost valley(looked worse than it was)
062.JPG
jim and ian on sgreamhach
Had another chat with the guys and enjoyed the views for a while before heading back down to the dodgy path
066.JPG
taking care on the scree path
Surprised to meet a fair amount of people doing these hills in the opposite direction to us,would think it would be easier coming down into the lost valley than up it ,seen some deer on the way down including a white stag
074.JPG
looking back up the lost valley
t
069.JPG
spot the white stag contest
A good few families were enjoying the lost valley as we headed down past the giant boulders and into the trees
075.JPG
lost valley
Had to take care here as the rocks were slippy and not sure if we missed a path or not but had to wade the river at one point
076.JPG
079.JPG
wading
Back to the car in 6 and 3 quarter hours,2 cars in car park when we set off ,2 million when we got back,one of the best days on the hills yet,weather behaved itself for once and off course the mandatory pint ,this time in the kingshouse on way home,great :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Great day on Bidean

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Nice pictures pigeon, looks like you all had a good day out. That drop into the Lost Valley does look a bit steep.

I think you did miss a path near the end. When you were at the big boulders at the foot of the Lost Valley, if you had walked up the grassy slope about 20 paces or so (to the left in your third to last pic) you'd have picked up a relatively good path back to the car park which had a bridge over the river. Looks like you went down the slope directly between the boulders?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jabber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Great report. Loved this walk... That drop off into the lost valley makes you think twice doesn't it until you look back up and think ha easy peesy..yeah right :) Nice to see someone didn't bother with the stepping stones crossing the burn just out of the lost valley :D
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Great day out pictures justify the day good report pigeon the day equaled the cruachan adventure hope we have more like that
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby steven671 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm

i knew you were following us
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 pm

steven671 wrote:i knew you were following us
Hello Steven ,we were following you :lol: think the wee dots up on the ridge in picture 22 are you and your buddy
Jabber wrote:Great report. Loved this walk... That drop off into the lost valley makes you think twice doesn't it until you look back up and think ha easy peesy..yeah right :) Nice to see someone didn't bother with the stepping stones crossing the burn just out of the lost valley :D
Cheers jabber ,one of the best walks yet
Ian Bayne wrote:Great day out pictures justify the day good report pigeon the day equaled the cruachan adventure hope we have more like that
Plenty more in the pipeline Ian,get the snowshoes looked out :lol:
skuk007 wrote:Nice pictures pigeon, looks like you all had a good day out. That drop into the Lost Valley does look a bit steep.

I think you did miss a path near the end. When you were at the big boulders at the foot of the Lost Valley, if you had walked up the grassy slope about 20 paces or so (to the left in your third to last pic) you'd have picked up a relatively good path back to the car park which had a bridge over the river. Looks like you went down the slope directly between the boulders?
Thanks skuk will bear that piece of info in mind when i take my better half up there :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby steven671 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 pm

yes that was us we were watching you`s with the tomato soup breakfast,wondering what you were doing :lol: there was easier stepping stones 10m upstream that we used to cross over and then we got hit by a hundred tourist`s hanging about trying to cross over that burn :D good picture`s though,
pigeon wrote:
steven671 wrote:i knew you were following us
Hello Steven ,we were following you :lol: think the wee dots up on the ridge in picture 22 are you and your buddy
Jabber wrote:Great report. Loved this walk... That drop off into the lost valley makes you think twice doesn't it until you look back up and think ha easy peesy..yeah right :) Nice to see someone didn't bother with the stepping stones crossing the burn just out of the lost valley :D
Cheers jabber ,one of the best walks yet
Ian Bayne wrote:Great day out pictures justify the day good report pigeon the day equaled the cruachan adventure hope we have more like that
Plenty more in the pipeline Ian,get the snowshoes looked out :lol:
skuk007 wrote:Nice pictures pigeon, looks like you all had a good day out. That drop into the Lost Valley does look a bit steep.

Thanks skuk will bear that piece of info in mind when i take my better half up there :thumbup:
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Huck Finn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Cracking pics, looks like my kinda hill :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland