walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

FALLS,FINDS,jst FINE,at FYNE

FALLS,FINDS,jst FINE,at FYNE

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 04/09/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 955m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With no partners up for walking this weekend I had mulled over 2 or 3 routes before finally picking this wee cracker,parked up and on my way by 7.30am where the 1st views down Glen Fyne were none to shabby.
019.JPG
Glen Fyne
Crossed the bridge turned left onto the tarmac and made good time,before I came across the locals who did seem a wee bit reluctant to mooove.
020.JPG
Moooove please
Once past the going is fairly easy and soon you come to where a notice asks you to leave your bike.
024.JPG
Parked my imaginery bike here
Passed throuh the gate where the 1st view of Beinn Bhuidhe lower slopes come into view.
023.JPG
1st view Beinn Bhuidhe
Now of the tarmac and onto a landrover track,but still made good time to the derelict cottage at Inverchorachan comes into view.
025.JPG
Derelict cottage
Right after the cottage you pass through another gate,and if you follow the WH accent route take a sharp left,then follow the path,this is where I went a wee bit wrong,missed the path,walked along further and more or less began my accent on the recommended WH decent route,found this pretty hard going,so after much huffing & puffing up the grassy slopes made a call to traverse back across to meet up with the path that follows the gorge,and burn running down it.
Not too sure what happend next,but found myself falling head first down the hillside through all the heather & bracken :lol: did not fall to far, and all that was hurt was my pride,just glad there was no americans with cameras around to capture what happened.After picking myself up & dusting myself down, I had a 5min break here and this is where I found the silva 4 compass(still no takers).Eventually got myself sorted and soon picked up the correct route up beside some nice waterfalls.
043.JPG
Waterfall no 1
044.JPG
Waterfall no 2
042.JPG
Waterfall no 3
The path can be fairly steep and rough in places and now and again it comes close to the stream below(would not be to keen with with snow on the ground)more so when you get to the wee scramble,where you have one tricky move before you can move on.Once past this its easy going if a little boggy at times and soon you can see the last pull up to the bealach.
032.JPG
Pull to bealach
This is a wee bit steep,but short lived,then the path to the summit appears.
033.JPG
Summit path
After you reach the bealach it takes no more than 15min to reach the summit & broken trig point.
034.JPG
Beinn Bhuidhe summit
And just to show it can happen,my summit pic & no clag.
039.JPG
Gammy & summit
Took a well errand 20min break here for some food & some pics.
035.JPG
Surrounding hills
036.JPG
Surrounding hills
037.JPG
More views
038.JPG
More views
040.JPG
Still no clag
041.JPG
No clag
No wind,no sound,no people,just me and the views,does not get much better,still need to start moving,had left my route with stretch, and time I would get back to my car and txt him.WH route tells you to pass the cairn at the bealach,but I quite fancied the wee scramble and tricky move on the way back down,so just retraced my accent route,on the way down met 5/6 people on the way up,if any of them are WH members,nice to meet you,further down passed a couple and their wee girl who alan s & I had met 3 weeks ago up Loch Quioch,nice to meet you again also.Once past the bad step took a couple more pics before putting camera away.
031.JPG
Long way down
027.JPG
Nearly down cottage in site
Once back at the cottage,took another 5min break,changed into a clean t-shirt,then started the 7k walk back along Glen Fyne & back to my car.Just one more wee thing,many thanks to the person who stays in one of the wee cottages further along the valley,who kindly re-filled my water reserve back up with nice cold water mmmmm,many thanks.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: FALLS,FINDS,jst FINE,at FYNE

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 pm

well done Gammy, i too preferred the wee scramble on the way down,we must keep testing our nerve, :lol: and really enjoyed this mountain
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 pm

good to see this one! never seen a thing when i walked this one! thickclag
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Bod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:16 pm

:D Very nice and wonderful! Been thinking of this one over the years as often driving up and down Loch Fyne, but just never been up yet! Looking forward to our WH meet!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 am

Brilliant Gammy, and at last....no clag. Shame about the wee fall (had you had a few the night before :lol: ) some really great pictures, the views from the summit are beautiful :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:16 am

Great pics. Looks like it was a nice clear day which is fairly miraculous with the kind of week we are having! Surprised how long the walk was. 20 + km for one Munro, but they have to done whatever the distance. I will probably try this one soon with it being as far south.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Postby Rossco » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 am

Nice one gammy! I just done this Munro the day after you! Still to do my report.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Well that's a turn-up for the books. Even some sunshine there and everything :) . Bit of a tongue twister title though :lol:

I'd love to have seen what I was doing on this hill, but the weather I had was more typical of what you normally get (in fact it was one of my least favourite days ever as the rain didn't let up for the whole walk :evil: ). Nice photos.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ndhudson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:05 am

The curse of the clag snuffed out by an awfully perty day...and a tiny tumble! ;)
Good stuff, Gammy! :thumbup: :thumbup:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby JB likes a beer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 am

Nice one mate,been dying to do this aswell and get the first section of my munro book finished,need to get it done .great report , all the best for this weekend :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alan S » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Nice one mate glad you got a good day :D
ndhudson wrote:...and a tiny tumble

Nothing new there its just normally in water :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Many thanks to all everyone who took the time to reply.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland