walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin - a jewel of a hill

Beinn Alligin - a jewel of a hill

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 03/08/2009

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1285m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having spent last week up in Torridon and accumulating an inordinate number of Alligin shots, many of which are similar to those already posted by Wanderlust and others, I thought I would just do a very quick pictorial montage of some which maybe show just a slightly different aspect or angle.

Monday 3rd August 2009 - the dog, my wife and moi. Weather: dry (occasional light spots of rain but nothing serious), mix of sunny intervals and cloudy spells. Visibility pretty decent.

IMG_1931.jpg
Sgurr Mor (L) with the huge slash of the Eag Dubh clearly visible and the Horns (R) from the approach path

IMG_1933.jpg
From the approach path just beyond the bridge, looking between Beinn Dearg and Liathach to Sail Mhor and the Beinn Eighe massif.

IMG_1940.jpg
You can't set about the Horns without stopping for a brew first!

IMG_1947.jpg
Debbie starting up the Horns

IMG_1948.jpg
Back to first Horn

IMG_1949.jpg
Baosbheinn and Loch a' Bhealaich from the Horns

IMG_1950.jpg
From the Horns looking northeast over Letterewe and Fisherfield with Stuc Loch na Cabhaig in foreground

IMG_1951.jpg
Looking back along the Horns towards Beinn Dearg and Liathach

IMG_1952.jpg
The dome of Sgurr Mor from the last of the Horns

IMG_1956.jpg
Showing my best side at the top of Sgurr Mor!

IMG_1959.jpg
From summit cairn of Sgurr Mhor back over the Horns to Beinn Dearg, Beinn Eighe and Liathach

IMG_1960.jpg
A nice spot to take some time out

IMG_1963.jpg
Baosbheinn from summit of Sgurr Mhor

IMG_1968.jpg
Connecting ridge from Sgurr Mhor to Tom na Gruagaich

IMG_1973.jpg
A windy summit of Tom na Gruagaich looking down on Loch Torridon

IMG_1980.jpg
Almost back at the car - last few hundred metres

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Beinn Alligin

Postby Wanderlust » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:14 am

Looks like you had quite a nice day for it on this one - did you do any other hils in Torridon?
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 am

Yeah, we had a fine day. In fact the whole week was pretty good with everyday being pretty much warm and sunny with a light breeze and the odd cloudy spell, some fairly prolonged. But it never rained any more than a bit of light drizzle and I never had my big waterproof jacket or trousers on. I mean I DID actually have trousers on, just not waterproof ones!!:lol: Not turning into the Naked Rambler just yet..... :?

We also did Fionn Bheinn (report and pics posted yesterday) and Liathach (look out for a report coming to a web site near you soon). I had wanted to get into some of the peaks (both Munro and Corbett) in the Coulin Forest. If the truth be told, I'd have been quite happy to be at the top of mountains every day but hey, what can I say, a balance has to be struck and we ran out of time :( . Anyway, as someone once said, "I'll be back" and when that time comes, Maol Chean Dearg and co will still be there....
Graeme D

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am

Enjoyed this so have split it from the other Beinn Alligin report :D (which reset the number of views to 0 :( )

Sad to see how bad the erosion has got on the ridge (2nd last photo)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AndrewP » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Nice pics there, Graeme.
Much nicer weather than what we just had!
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby goth_angel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

How serious is the scrambling on this route- presumably not too bad if you can get the dog up there? Been thinking about this one, but am a wuss where scrambling (particularly anything exposed) is concerned.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah - any shots of the bypass path for the Horns would be good :D It certainly doesn't look as bad as Liathach and at least I don't have to do the Horns anyway if I don't want to...
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:07 pm

Haven't got a shot of the bypass path on the horns... but I really would advise against it. It cuts across a very steep and slippery grassy slope with no rocks at all; and a slip would be disastrous. Really it is much better and safer to go over the Horns, which are not so bad - much much easier than the Fasarinen pinnacles. If you really don't want to do the horns it's better to go clockwise and retrace your steps after you get to Sgurr Mhor.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:12 pm

Bypass of the Horns:

Of course you can climb Alligin by taking the track from Torridon House right round between Alligin and Beinn Dearg past Loch Toll nam Biast to climb the grassy slopes on the west side of Sgurr Mor
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 pm

After reading Kev's recent excellent "Horny on Alligin" report, I went back to look at my own report on Alligin from last August. I remember at the time I initially just added a few lines and a few photos to a previous report by Wanderlust, but Paul actually re-posted it as a report in it's own right. I never did get around to adding more photos to it ....until now. Cheers Kev! Great memories..... 8)
Graeme D

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland