walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grisedale Pike and others

Grisedale Pike and others

Postby Phooooey » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Outerside, Sail, Wandope

Hewitts included on this walk: Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail, Wandope

Date walked: 04/09/2011

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 21.4 km

Ascent: 1581m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Braithwaite - Coledale Hause - Grisedale Pike - Hopegill Head - Sandy Hill - Coledale Hause - Grasmoor - Wandope - Crag Hill (Eel Crag) - Sail - Outerside - Braithwaite

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

"What a difference a day makes" ... NO not a cue for a song, just a comment on this weekends weather.
It absolutely chucked it down on the Saturday giving my walking partner an excuse to go and have a few pints that night (as he thought we would not be going on the Sunday). How wrong was he as 08:00 this morning threw out a bit of ground mist and blue skies.
I was in truth a little tired myself so ditched the plans for either Scafell Pike or Pillar and went further afield in search of some rock based mountains that wouldn't be that boggy !
Grisedale Pike came top of the list from my previous searches so off we went (Damson and I) through our glorious sun strewn Lakes upto Braithwaite. The local vicar was also in a good mood as he offered me a parking space outside the church hall and offered me use of the facilities ... no not prayer cushions or bibles!!
From here past the pub and found our way through the wood to the path leading upto Coledale Hause past the disused mine.
1 From Braithwiate heading up path north of Coledale Beck.JPG

2 Heading up from Force Crag Mine.JPG

After the steepish climb upto Coledale Hause I headed right up onto Grisedale Pike (probably should have spent a few more minutes at start of walk to find direct path up here but the valley was beautiful and a nice gentle start to todays precedings).
3 Heading up to Grisedale Pike from Coledale Hause.JPG

5 Damson on Grisedale Pike with Hopegill Head in background.JPG

From here back to Hopegill Head along the ridge, with spectacular views out north towards Lord's Seat over the forest.
7 Looking back to Grisedale Pike from Hobcarton Crag.JPG

10 View up last section of Hopegill Head.JPG

11 Damson reaches Hopegill Head summit overlooking Whiteside.JPG

From Hopegill Head we returned to Coledale Hause over Sandy Hill to start the second section of the walk to the south of Coledale Valley. After walking to the top of the Hause we headed right up a steep section that sapped the energy from my legs and onto the furthest point of our walk on top of Grasmoor.
A large bunch of lads were atop the fell (one playing with a homemade kite made from a bin bag) that I later found out was a Stag Party (as the Stag was made to dress in a 1920 style bright blue dress which apparently cost £16.99 - They were ripped off in my opinion and proof is in the picture below). I couldn't make up my mind whether the Stag was the lead singer from the Lancashire Hotpots !!
14 Route ahead for Grasmoor (far right) and Crag Hill and Sail (left).JPG

15 Looking down on Crummock Water from Grasmoor.JPG

22 Stag could be member of Lancashire Hotpots.JPG

Great views from this point along the Buttermere / Crummock Water / Loweswater Valley and out to the coast.
More great views out north towards the Scafells and Gables
24 View out to Scafells and Gables from Wandope.JPG

I returned from whence I came back to the top of the Hause and a little detour to the edge summit of Wandope before another trudge of a climb onto Crag Hill / Eel Crag.
25 Looking back to Wandope from climb up Crag Hill.JPG

On reaching the summit I requested my picture taken from a couple of lads who were sorting their own photos out!
Ordinarily I would have just taken Damson's onthe top as proof that I'd been there but as my name is Craig Hill the opportunity of taking my photo on Crag Hill was too appealing. Thanks very much !!
27 Craig Hill on Crag Hill (plus Damson of course) - Thanks to lads who took picture.JPG

On over Sail and down the winding path to the base of the climb up Causey Pike, where we turned left and down towards Outerside (Causey will be tackled at a later date with Ard Crags)
30 Causey Pike from Sail summit.JPG

31 Winding path down from Sail across to Causey Pike (our route drops off left at bottom of hill).JPG

32 Looking back up at Sail (middle) and Crag Hill (right) from below Outerside.JPG

A little detour off the main path took us up Outerside for the final Wainwright of the day before the trek through some lovely purple heather around and over Stile End before the steepish grass descent back to Braithwaite Village.
35 Outerside summit with Causey Pike in background.JPG

36 Damson of Outerside summit overlooking route down (left) and top of Derwent Water.JPG

39 Path over Stile End back to Braithwaite.JPG

41 Looking back to the purple side of Outerside.JPG

The day was warm and still for the majority with a slight breeze coming in the afternoon. Since arriving home its starting throwing it down again so looks like we got it right today !!!
Had loads of photos from today but couldn't post all of them !!
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Grisedale Pike and others

Postby JGKES » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Superb pictorial report of a memorable and magnificent walk.The attraction for me are the ever changing views,lakes,mountains,crags,industrial relics and the settlements of Braithwaite and Keswick.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140

Re: Grisedale Pike and others

Postby Phooooey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Couldn't agree more ! Even enjoyed bumping into all the people I met along the way today as there is plenty of space for everybody without queuing !! :lol:
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland