walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes - from sunshine to clag

Ben Rinnes - from sunshine to clag

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 14/09/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 572m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Got myself a flyer today so set off for this Corbett as a 'bonus'. I arrived at the small car park just off the B9009 around noon and set off along the very obvious path under blue skies with the threat of a shower or two for later

as soon as you pass through the gate at the car park the ascent begins and in no time at all you have climbed high enough to look down upon the car park and surrounding land

looking ahead the dark clouds blow by incredibly fast but the hill shelters me from the worst of the strong winds and I can look along the lush green valley below at my leisure

zig zagging around the hill I am soon looking back down on the car park from an even higher vantage point

to the north I get the smallest peek at the sea in the distance as the dark clouds form overhead

as I turn again and head over the rise the wind almost knocks me off my feet as I get my first view of the hill ahead

at least there is a section of level walking here and I get chance for a breather, even if it is head down into a fierce wind

the hill seems to be driving the clouds away or at least around its summit, fingers crossed it may stay that way

I cover the ground along the flat quickly but the wind is really blowing full on and it feels like double the work compared to normal conditions just to keep moving forward

in no time I am at the start of the next section of ascent as the clouds blow away leaving a beautiful blue sky

about half way along this section is a small shelter that I consider curling up in for a while just to get away from the damn wind, I've had to put on the hat as its actually getting a bit chilly now

at the next level section the sky does not look so clever and I can see it closing in ahead

strangely enough looking back down the hill its still blue skies and sunshine

turning back ahead there are several sections of 'steps' to ascend and I see a couple of groups of people on the way down (if you look closely the two tiny sticks on the top horizon are people descending)

as the first group of 5 pass a guy tells me its so windy up top it is dangerous :shock: I figure it would be dangerous if it was a ridge or pinnacle but a round top.....I'll risk it :wink:

looking down to the dappled light on the valley below makes me glad of the cloud...for now

at this point it begins to rain, really cold horizontal miserable rain, even though looking downhill it looks fine

by the time I've got the waterproof gear on, and gloves now believe it or not, the rain is encircling the hill

I put the camera away in the rucksack and stride out for the summit, on arrival I see a perfect overhanging rock to shelter under and head in there

I wait, wait, and wait for the shower to pass but it doesn't, it hangs around like a bad smell

after about 20 minutes or more of hanging around it's getting really cold and there's no sign of improvement, I make for the trig point and take the evidence shot before packing everything away and heading off down the hill, a little disappointed....it rains horizontally for the entire decent :(

Its a real shame the rain came in and killed this walk as the views promised to be fantastic from this hill. I've got to say it was a work out walking up there in such a strong headwind but at least it kept raining until I was in the car and at least half way home, better than reaching the car and looking back to see beautiful blue skies and the hill giving you the finger as you leave :lol:
Last edited by ChrisW on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Ben Rinnes - from sunshine to clag

Postby kevsbald » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 am

Great wee hill and lovely photos leading to the summit. Did you come up the Glenlivet road? Corryhabby hill for me this year in Winter - fancy it, Chris?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

Nice one :) . You might have been annoyed by the shower, but I'm wondering where you found the sunshine in the first place? Not been much of it around of late, although the hurricane-force winds and really bad weather didn't reach Inverness either.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:04 am

It's a great quick hill if you have a few hours to spare :D It was nice to see it in early autumn scenery, we did it last year in November - it was all snowed over and my hands were freezing off. Actually, the original idea was to climb Coryhabbie Hill but we couldn't find a place to park along the narrow track at the bottom of the mountain :? The only reasonable space to leave the car is at a road bend near Tomachar, but when we went there it was occupied by a couple of tractors and a farm truck. We drove up and down looking for a suitable off-road place but nope - no luck. So we gave up and climbed Ben Rinnes instead (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8370).
I hope this winter we'll have more luck with Coryhabbie.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 am

kevsbald wrote:Great wee hill and lovely photos leading to the summit. Did you come up the Glenlivet road? Corryhabby hill for me this year in Winter - fancy it, Chris?

thanks Kev, not sure about the road I used as I just stuck the co-ordinates in the sat nav, turned on the stereo and autopiloted my way there :lol: , it was a direct route from Banchory - cross country took a long time (you can tell the romans never made it this far north) :lol: If I'm still around when you are thinking of tackling Corryhabby, give me a shout and I'll consider the spaghetti route again :lol:

by malky_c on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

Nice one . You might have been annoyed by the shower, but I'm wondering where you found the sunshine in the first place? Not been much of it around of late, although the hurricane-force winds and really bad weather didn't reach Inverness either.

Thanks Malky, we seem to have missed the majority of the really bad weather down Banchory way too and even had a reasonable supply of sunshine. When I got back yesterday, virtually no wind compared with Ben Rinnes, must be a wind tunnel effect just there or something :?

It's a great quick hill if you have a few hours to spare It was nice to see it in early autumn scenery, we did it last year in November - it was all snowed over and my hands were freezing off. Actually, the original idea was to climb Coryhabbie Hill but we couldn't find a place to park along the narrow track at the bottom of the mountain The only reasonable space to leave the car is at a road bend near Tomachar, but when we went there it was occupied by a couple of tractors and a farm truck. We drove up and down looking for a suitable off-road place but nope - no luck. So we gave up and climbed Ben Rinnes instead (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8370).
I hope this winter we'll have more luck with Coryhabbie.

Oddly enough my hands were freezing yesterday and its only autumn :shock: it was damn cold up there yesterday but only in the wind and horizontal rain, damn stuff seems to get everywhere, if Kev is going in winter we might be looking at a mini meet up................but where the hell do we park :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am

Can I borrow your Delorien sometime to get up to 88mph :) - sure you probably walked this on 14th :wink:
Well done for getting out.
Ben Rinnes is a nice Corbett.
foggieclimber

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Parking at Braes of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich? If anyone's interested in Cook's Cairn as well, I might come along :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for this as it's given me an idea for next hill with 8 year old grandson. He did Meall Fuarmhonaidh with me no problem and is asking for his next challenge! :thumbup: I wondered about Ciste Dubh but the muddy walk in might scunner him and I want his first hill experiences to be positive ones! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Can I borrow your Delorien sometime to get up to 88mph :) - sure you probably walked this on 14th :wink:
Well done for getting out.
Ben Rinnes is a nice Corbett.

:lol: well spotted foggie, put the report in after midnight but failed to notice :roll: fixed it now.

by malky_c on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Parking at Braes of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich? If anyone's interested in Cook's Cairn as well, I might come along

that's the parking sorted - just waiting for a couple of feet of snow now :shock:

Thanks for this as it's given me an idea for next hill with 8 year old grandson. He did Meall Fuarmhonaidh with me no problem and is asking for his next challenge! I wondered about Ciste Dubh but the muddy walk in might scunner him and I want his first hill experiences to be positive ones!

Make sure you avoid the windy days dogplodder, could blow an 8 year old away up there :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ndhudson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Almost missed these fantastic recent posts, Chris! (been visiting Mickey and Mini in Florida :D ) Tough break on the weather. You still managed to get some very dramatic shots of the impending doom! :thumbup:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

ndhudson wrote:Almost missed these fantastic recent posts, Chris! (been visiting Mickey and Mini in Florida :D ) Tough break on the weather. You still managed to get some very dramatic shots of the impending doom! :thumbup:

Thanks ND, it was a nice little walk (even with the damn wind) but that cold rain really killed it, I should have walked faster and got the views before it came in :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jonny616 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi Chris

That looks a great walk. Your pics are great too

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby kev_russ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Another great report and pics Chris :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm

jonny616 wrote:Hi Chris

That looks a great walk. Your pics are great too

Regards

Jonny

Thanks jonny, pics were going great until the rain and clag :roll:

by kev_russ on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Another great report and pics Chris

Thanks kev_russ - should be getting more in now I think (hope) :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland