walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Postby snowdonia7 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 11/09/2011

Time taken: 2.45 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To finish off our trip Neil and I decided to bag a ‘cheeky munro’ on the Sunday morning before the journey home. We decided on Mount Keen given that we were staying in Braemar and it would save having to make a special trip for this isolated hill on another occasion. In addition we had our bikes, which we felt would cut down on the route times and so still allow us to get home at a reasonable hour.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived at the car park in Glan Tanar in fairly decent weather and set out at 08.45 into the woodland trail. This was a pleasant ride, ever so slightly uphill overall, but plenty to keep you interested. After about 7km we left the cover of the trees and out onto open fells and exposed to the weather; slight drizzle and a stiff breeze straight into our faces. I tucked in behind Neil to avoid the wind – I could tell that he was having to work really hard to make headway, but I didn’t have the legs to get out in front. I did toy with the idea of shouting out to ask him to keep in a straight line as I kept getting a blast of wind each time he weaved around to keep on the best line, but I didn’t think he would see the funny side :) .

We could see some MTB tracks heading out along the track and given the heavy rain the day before figured they must have been made that morning and so expected to see the rider returning at any time.
09.50 we reached the final bridge over the burn from where the path steepens noticeably. I decided to ditch my bike at this point after my experience on Mayar and Driesh, so I threw it into the heather beside the track. However, Neil decided he was going to try and make it up on his bike. Knowing he would therefore be much quicker on the descent I starting knocking out a good pace towards the top to try and beat him up.

As I reached the final ascent the wind really picked up and continued to do so as I climbed, by the time I reached the top I was struggling to stay upright and I picked my way through the boulders, touched the trig point for the most fleeting moment before turning and heading back it was 10.40. Disappointingly I saw that Neil was only just behind me and I also noticed that the MTB tracks we had been following went all the way to the top – big respect to whoever pushed their bike up there in that weather :thumbup: .

After dropping from this top and out of the worst of the wind I decided to take a quick photo as the mist has parted briefly showing the Mounth Road below, but by the time I got my blackberry out of my pack the mist had rolled in again.

Just below summit of Mount Keen with Mounth Road to rear.jpg
Just below the summit of Mount Keen

On the subject of photographs I’ve been impressed by some of the images on WTH and resolved to make more of an effort to record future trips.

We jogged back to the bridge arriving at 11.00 and set out for Glen Tanar. The ride back was fantastic, we had the wind behind us and it was marginally downhill all the way, so we were really flying and arrived back at the car for 11.30. We just had a seven hour drive home to follow, during which we could look back on a productive few days; between Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning we had bagged 17 munros and ran/walked/biked over 100km. Having said that it was hard work and in the gym the next day I was washed out, so next time I’ll be looking for something a little more sensible and maybe even have the chance to enjoy the views and take some photos.

I’ve read a few reports that knock Mount Keen and I certainly didn’t see it in the best conditions, but I’m sure on a nice day our route would make a nice long walk (or walk/bike combined).
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 pm

I am (as always) impressed with your seemingly boundless energy snowdonia7 - I think you deserve a rest (personally I would have been hospitalised after a 'holiday' like that) :lol:

Great effort, next time though....................go slower and take in the views :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 am

ChrisW wrote:personally I would have been hospitalised after a 'holiday' like that
:lol:
Me too :lol:

I also did the MTB + walk method and the ride up (without a headwind) was fairly steady, but the ride back was a real blast.

BTW there is a small (5~6 car) & free car park at right the end of the Glen Tanar road.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Les Stuart » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:38 pm

I did this walk and mtb yesterday Friday the 16th in similar conditions and not funny at the summit. Will do a report over the weekend.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Postby munrogimp » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 am

Dave, at last I have joined the ranks of bloggers who see what you write up about our exploits in Scotland. These short and relaxing trips into pea-soup like tornados are a test of anyones sense of humour! With 80+ under our belt there's no stopping us now. See you soon. Neil
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby snowdonia7 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

munrogimp wrote: These short and relaxing trips into pea-soup like tornados are a test of anyones sense of humour!

I'll leave it to you to write the next report as the funny man in the duo; although that makes me Ernie Wise or even worse Sid Little :?
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland