walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spidean Coire nan Clach via Creag Dhubh

Spidean Coire nan Clach via Creag Dhubh

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:32 am

Munros included on this walk: Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 06/07/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk was originally going to be the 2 Corbetts Ruadh-stac Beag and Meall a' Ghiuthais but due to me not checking the map where the path split i ended up taking the left one rather than the right one. After realising my error, rather than return back to the right path i noticed i could climb Creag Dhubh and carry on to the Munro Spidean Coire nan Clach. There were 2 small problems in doing this, problem one was my map didn't quite go as far as Spidean Coire nan Clach and secondly as i'd started the walk form Kinlochewe i'd be over 4 miles away once i finished. As i liked the look of Creag Dhubh i decided to go for it and gave Kim a phone to pre warn her i may need picked up along the Torridon road and i'd call her later with a accurate time. Kim being wise asked if it was ok to continue without the correct map and i replied i'd be fine as long as there was a path and i knew roughly how to get down off Spidean Coire nan Clach and if i felt unsafe i would return via the route i came.. Kim was now at ease and i was now on the ridge after climbing the rocky scree slopes of Creag Dhubh. Once on the ridge there was some fine rocky pinnicles to negotiate along with a bit of scrambling and loose rocky scree whilst going over severeal tops before coming to the Munro summit of Spidean Coire nan Clach. From the summit i took the path to the left which brought me to a large cairn and from here the path continued down to Glen Torridon. When i could see the road i carried on down the path till i estimated i was about 30 mins away and would now phone Kim.Yip ypu've guessed it, no signal. At this point i should maybe have climbed back up till i got a signal but decided to carry on down. I then had over 4 miles of road to walk back but i said to myself i'd get a signal soon no problem, well i eventually got a signal 1 mile from Kinlochewe. Hi Kim can you come get me please, i'm only 1 mile away? and hurry up please cause my feet are feeling it after a 3 miles road walk :D
P1010140.JPG
Creag Dhubh

P1010141.JPG
Creag Dhubh getting closer

P1010142.JPG
I carried along the side then up the ridge

P1010143.JPG
The Corbett Meall a' Ghiuthais

P1010144.JPG
The view east

P1010145.JPG
Creag Dhubh ridge

P1010146.JPG
The other Corbett Ruadh-stac Beag

P1010147.JPG
First "obsticle" coming up

P1010149.JPG
The area around Bodaich Dubh Beinn Eighe, it was quite impressive.

P1010150.JPG
And some more

P1010151.JPG
Spidean Coire nan Clach summit

P1010153.JPG
The cairn on the way down
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Spidean Coire nan Clach via Creag Dhubh

Postby kev_russ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Some great pics there Johnny :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland