walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Gentle Amble with a Stat Attack after the Satmap Lesson...

A Gentle Amble with a Stat Attack after the Satmap Lesson...

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 18/09/2011

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 16.8 km

Ascent: 1271m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two weeks off for me sadly; work beckons next weekend; and I'm in Barcelona toward the end of the following week. However all is not bad; that's followed by a week in Torridon with Fanny Flap and the Monsters...

So a gentle amble today; feeling a bit tired from all this being on the go with work or hills, so a quiet one beckoned...

Sun Easain 1.jpg
EArly Morning Reflections in An Dubh Lochan

I'm pleased to report Scotland is returning to sense after the summer deluge of tourists that come at the wrong time of year and go to all the wrong places, and with it block up the roads; I mean how many Driving Miss Daisies can there be :lol:

So a chance to rip it up through Glencoe at a sedate 50 mph 8)

Sun Easain 2.jpg
The Motor...

Fair to say the satrt of the route is pretty boggy which will continue all the way to the summit of Meall Cian Dearg; still not to worry...

Sun Easain 3.jpg
Loch Treig and the route ahead... Meall Cian Dearg

The early morning light turns the landscape into some rich colours which flooded the valley with the flowing curves of the Allt Laire below...

Sun Easain 4.jpg
The curves of the Allt Laire from Meall Cian Dearg

It's hard work to get to the top of Meall Cian Dearg and the legs are well warmed up by the time you're there... THe view ahead clears momentarily and I think I'm in with a chance of it all clearing up, but no :lol: :lol:

Sun Easain 5.jpg
The Ridge toward Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

I didn't stop (photos aside) on the route to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and I'm pleased to report the terrain higher up is much improved... A mixture of rocky and grassy path...

Sun Easain 6.jpg
Me on the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

All you folks seem a touch keen on the workings of Satmap; shame on you look at the views... :lol: Anyway, I've had a lesson from Tom and am now armed with the take the Stats Pic... So the Stats to the first munro of the day; a whisper over two hours...

2011-09-18 0903-45 ScreenShot.jpg
Stat Attack: The summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

And it's not much more than a hop skip and a jump to munro number 2 of the of the day Stob Coire Easain; though it's a fairly steep climb to the top; nothing uncomfortable though; and whats a bit of leg burn... Not much of a view...

Sun Easain 7.jpg
The Summit of Stob Coire Easain

Stat Attack tells me it's been just 24 minutes between the two and a smidge under 150 metres of ascent... Jeez the technology today hey; all very exciting... :lol:

2011-09-18 0927-54 ScreenShot.jpg
Stat Attack: The Summit of Stob Coire Easain

The return to munro 1 includes a spot of refreshment on the summit of Stob Coire Easain before the off... It's 10 metres of ascent less on the return for those of you that are interested coming in at 138 metres; but a slower time by 3 minutes coming in at 27 minutes... Now how long was my refreshment stop... I reckon Satmap says it's 4 minutes; based on total time less moving time (Monty might struggle with this calculation :lol: ); meaning I've actually got back in 23 minutes; jeez, this is fascinating stuff... :lol: If only there were some scenery to occupy my mind...

2011-09-18 0954-30 ScreenShot.jpg
Stat Attack: The summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin (return)

Descending through the clag into the world opens up a panorama to the North that I decide to take a sequence of shots of..

Sun Easain 8.jpg
Panorama to the North from Meall Cian Dearg...

And lower down one final look back at the ascent of Meall Cian Dearg...

Sun Easain 9.jpg
Looking back at Meall Cian Dearg...

And we're done in just under 4 1/2 hours... Special thanks to Tom for the Satmap lesson :)

2011-09-18 1129-38 ScreenShot.jpg
Stat Attack: Done...

And the Route...

2011 - 09 - 18 - Stob Coire Easain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: A Gentle Amble with a Stat Attack after the Satmap Lesson...

Postby victoriajarrett » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

[quote="andrewdoggett"]Two weeks off for me sadly; work beckons next weekend; and I'm in Barcelona toward the end of the following week. However all is not bad; that's followed by a week in Torridon with Fanny Flap and the Monsters...

So a gentle amble today; feeling a bit tired from all this being on the go with work or hills, so a quiet one beckoned...

Arrghhh poor Jack Flap... still your misfortunes are my blessings... and very much looking forward to taking on some hills in Torrindon, after you have recovered from your Barcelona excursion!!! :lol:

And, your car looks a little clean??!!!
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Great stuff as always Andrew, really like that last shot looking back, beautiful. I'm not sure about all the technology but think I'm going to have to get one of those in Canada just so I can get my stats......I may have to post back here for a lesson :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeh, good stuff Andrew! Been going to head up these two ourselves, and will do! Good to see you are swatting up on your gps, maybe I'll have to think about it one of these days, if I see the right one for me? Sold my first greyscale gps on ebay a year or so ago......
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Stats??? Attacks??? Too, too much info!!! :crazy:

I like your photos though, not as driech weather as was forecast- nice. :D

Well done for retreating from the Scottish roads for two weeks, just as I am about to make a determined effort to hit 50 by the end of the year. Feel a lot safer now :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 pm

victoriajarrett wrote:And, your car looks a little clean??!!!

Those nice folk at the garage cleaned it... :?

pollyh33 wrote:I am about to make a determined effort to hit 50 by the end of the year.

You don't look 49... :lol: :lol: :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Cuil Lodair » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 am

andrewdoggett wrote:All you folks seem a touch keen on the workings of Satmap; shame on you look at the views... :lol:

Actually, I very rarely look at the Satmap because this old guy's only reason for walking the hills is for the views, and as I do that at a very relaxing pace (aye, slow), I can assure you that I see plenty! :lol: :lol:
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby thufferin succotash » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Some nice pics Andrew, but what's with the brain glazing stats screen shots :eh: !!!! I realise from a previous walk report that you have just learnt how to do it (like myself :D ) - but wow - haven't you slightly o/d'd a bit.

As for the comments regarding buying a Satmap Active 10 - in my humble opinion - it is indeed a great GPS unit. It's quite pricey but search Amazon and great deals can be had - as I did last year :D. Personally, I consider the whole point of a GPS is it's tracking and route info - possibly life saving if your compass and map skills aren't up to scratch. (I still take both, just in case.) The Active 10 excels at this with its colour OS screen. To use it as a sports trainer seems a waste - considering it's amazing technology (of which I have only mastered a fraction). If one is just needing a PB report then I would recommend the Garmin Forerunner 305 (even has a heart monitor!) and is a fraction of the price of the Satmap. I use this for my fitness record and the Satmap for the hills.

I can't imagine why anyone would be the least bit interested in my hill stats - especially as I spend hours just gazing and exploring. Yesterday I did the walk up to the Old Man of Storr and Storr Sanctuary on Skye. Weather was changing every minute. Swirling mists, spells of sunshine with glorious views, the silence and mossy smells - intoxicating. I didn't even take one pic - no way could I have captured the atmosphere - pure heady escapism. I confess, I almost became a rock hugger :oops:

As for my stats: Distance - roughly 10km; Total time - 9 hours :lol: ; Time spent exploring - 6 hours 8)

Enjoy your time on the hills!!
thufferin succotash

Postby monty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

Well well Andrew, I mist this report.

So a gentle amble today; feeling a bit tired from all this being on the go with work or hills

Looking at the time you must have been ambling :lol: Mind you my route was 1.2km shorter than yours and I only done it 1 hour faster so you might have been able to keep up. :lol:

I done summit to summit in 18 mins, how on earth did it take you 24? Did you fall asleep :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 pm

thufferin succotash wrote:Looking at the time you must have been ambling :lol: Mind you my route was 1.2km shorter than yours and I only done it 1 hour faster so you might have been able to keep up. :lol:

I done summit to summit in 18 mins, how on earth did it take you 24? Did you fall asleep :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monty, I accept fully that you are the man on short walks, especially where you use bulldozed tracks for the 'run in'...

On the summit to summit, I didn't run the descent - I know you like to...

But anyway point being, you are the king, I am a mere Prince :lol: :lol: :lol:

That said, I will make Mullardoch :shock:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby brpro26 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 am

"The Motor"....is that not Stifflers Moms car.????? :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby monty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 am

Hey Prince Andrew,
Its just banter. No offence intended. Good luck on the Mullardock round. :D
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:52 am

Assume I'm always smiling and you'll never be wrong...

Loving the banter, King... :D

In Torridon for a week next week (have a cottage near Ben Alligin) if you're about and fancy a hill with the Monsters, they'd love a tune!! :D :D :D

But Barcelona beckons first for a couple of days :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland